2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Mine isn't, and I use mine a lot. I'm very careful though, I don't leave my hitch in the receiver when I'm not using it, and keep the rubber cap on it when not in use. Also, my safety chain hooks are dipped, and haven't scratched up the receiver. If you do have surface rust, you can easily clean it up with some sandpaper and a little black paint...Ya, I'm that anal...LOL!!!馃槑
Im not that anal for myself but since it is my gmas I want to keep it nice. I just don鈥檛 know how it鈥檚 rusting. The cap hasn鈥檛 been off ever and the side parts are lil rusty

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite; 3.2L
For a 2019+ trailhawk its pretty much install hitch install wiring and flash.

Wiring isnt there. its a PITA to install.. interior removal type pita.
The actual hitch isnt bad if you get a trailhawk you dont need the extra piece of plastic that other models do.. hitch replaces the bumper beam.

Wiring is pricy and laborious .. but with the way the electronics are on KL's I'd only recommend the factory wiring.. not an aftermarket solution.

Dealer and expect 700$+ Needs turned on in the computer too.
Yep, I had mine done at the dealer and I couldn鈥檛 believe how much body trim they removed to do the install! I had my 2019 TH Elite transferred in by Carmax from out of state because I wanted one with the hitch. When it came in it had the Mopar hitch but no wiring. I鈥檓 too old and lazy to do it myself so I had the dealer install the factory wiring. $557 plus tax.

Registered
If I was going to fix it, Id prefer to use something that will last longer than the original paint lol. I will have to look closer, but since the flat face is rusty and not the welds ,I will probably remove the rust, scuff the paint, and use rustoleum professional satin black, and then satin clear coat it. But Ill have to look. I forgot, there would be primer in there. if not that, some epoxy kind of paint probably.

Registered
As @sanghill said, use POR-15 if you want to be serious about slowing down the rust. A shot Rustoleum or equivalent has been working for me for years and is a lot easier than something like POR-15. Unless you have structural rust (possible but unlikely even in heavy salt areas), cosmetic rust is easy to deal with.

...but what do I know? I live in Arizona!

Registered
As @sanghill said, use POR-15 if you want to be serious about slowing down the rust. A shot Rustoleum or equivalent has been working for me for years and is a lot easier than something like POR-15. Unless you have structural rust (possible but unlikely even in heavy salt areas), cosmetic rust is easy to deal with.

...but what do I know? I live in Arizona!
I think you guys may have a misunderstanding of the rust level,i apologize. its surface rust on the flat part to the sides of the cap. I just thought it was strange since nothing has hit it but its started rusting. and not in the welds haha

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Registered
So I found a used hitch at a junkyard for $150 but it does not come with bolts or anything.

Also found this at BAM auto 82213349AD - Jeep Cherokee Trailer Hitch Receiver Class III | Auto Parts

It looks like it comes with the bolts and other stuff need to confirm with BAM. Do you all know what those triangle things are?
They're called impact bar mount plates. No idea what they do :

Oh wait, here they call it a fascia bracket : 2014-2022 Jeep Cherokee Fascia Bracket 68165758AB | My Mopar Parts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
when adding the mopar hitch on a 2019 trailhawk do you only need to remove the bumper cover? And remove the knock out from the cover for the hitch? What about hands free tailgate anything with that?

Thanks

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
installed the hitch yesterday, followed online instructions from Mopar where you remove the middle rear wheel well trim and tail lights and bumper. broke a couple of clips on middle rear wheel trim might need to get new pieces we will see how well they hold. Process of fairly easy but time consuming took about 5 hours but I was taking time as it was only 45 out and was a bit hungover from cards the night before. I have no wiring yet but will at least be installing the plug to make it look better. The hitch will mostly be used for bike rack.

thanks all

Registered
installed the hitch yesterday, followed online instructions from Mopar where you remove the middle rear wheel well trim and tail lights and bumper. broke a couple of clips on middle rear wheel trim might need to get new pieces we will see how well they hold. Process of fairly easy but time consuming took about 5 hours but I was taking time as it was only 45 out and was a bit hungover from cards the night before. I have no wiring yet but will at least be installing the plug to make it look better. The hitch will mostly be used for bike rack.

thanks all
Hope you did well with cards ;)... and keep us posted !

21 - 35 of 35 Posts