2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Add-On Recovery Hooks for NON-TRAILHAWK Models

FOR SALE 
81K views 151 replies 46 participants last post by  Fj4080 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone!

As promised, here is the sale page for the recovery points I mentioned in my first post ~HERE~... These are not designed for Trailhawk models, as THs already have factory-installed hooks on the front. They were designed and tested with a 2015 Latitude, but they should fit the other models and years as well.

This recovery system uses steel to replace the aluminum "frame extensions" that are mounted to the frame below the bumper. (See Photo 1 Below) The product is designed to fit using existing bolt points in the frame, so NO drilling or other modifications to the frame of the vehicle are necessary. The purchaser will have to cut the honeycomb grille for the hooks to fit, and it will be up to the purchaser if they would like to contour-cut the grille to fit, or simply cut out the entire section as I did (See Photo 2).

The kit will come with two steel brackets, two hooks, and hardware to attach the hooks to the brackets. The brackets attach to the frame using the existing bolts that are currently holding the "frame extensions". The brackets will come painted black with black hooks. Custom colors or Chrome hooks may be available for a "slight nominal fee" :D

But Wait, Theres More!!! If you call (or PM me) now, instructions for bumper removal and kit attachment can be sent via email in PDF form if needed, AT NO COST!

Pricing is as follows:

Black Recovery Hook Kit, Continental US: $215 + Shipping

Black Recovery Hook Kit, outside cont. US: $215 + shipping

Custom hook colors or Chrome hooks, add $10

~More Pics of the Brackets and Mounting~

https://youtu.be/fUkbsHvKD34

https://youtu.be/h1IG0YPWBPY

https://youtu.be/qjN3Nu4Rn_E

Photo 1 ("Frame Extensions")

Photo 2 (Grille cutout)

**Disclaimer**

I have built and installed these on my personal vehicle, and tested them for occasional use in low-force recovery/pulling situations with good results. However, high-stress or sudden jerking on the kit should be avoided to prevent damage to the kit or vehicle! Use at your own risk, and use caution when using any recovery system.

MENTIONS
@Alxndr@BillsCherokee@Bruno@Dunx@Fj4080@jfrzy@Justin327@Kevin C@LarzyHoneytoast@Lumberjack@mydiesel@tbuck14@rski@Mark_@airishfan

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're interested, or have any questions, send me a PM and I'll respond as soon as possible.

#3 · (Edited)
Real nice work!

Gotta say I might prefer the appearance of these over the TH ones. It kind of sends the message that "Yes, of course there are recovery hooks, dude. It is an off-roader after all." instead of "LOOK AT THESE HOOKS! WHADDYA THINK?!!!!!"

You know?

#4 ·
Lol, yeah. No offence to THs or their owners, but I've thought the bright red hooks were a bit loud. I'd paint them black myself.

#5 · (Edited)
So - TH owner owner here and two things:
1 - I did paint mine black (car is red w/ black trim) but they a) faded out with dirt and bugs; and b) really got lost in the trim. I painted them back to a red color and it just looks like a more complete picture -- on the front, I think it has a bit to do with the shape of the TH nose.

2 - Question/observation - you mentioned testing these with pulling - but what about a front impact? If I understand the design of the TH hook mounting, ours will effectively break away rather than punching into something. I think that it is a bit less of a concern since you kept your tucked back a bit more (contrary to a couple of well meaning suggestions) but curious if you or anyone else had thoughts along those lines, other than buyer/installer making an informed choice?

Great job and best of luck selling these as there appeared to be pretty good demand!

#7 ·
On the crash question, this is similar to base plates used by people towing their KL.

#9 ·
That is always an option, the hooks could be removed and other attachments could be used. However, as far as I know, there is nothing designed to attach to a point like this. I am tossing around the idea/concept of a full-front brush guard that would possibly attach to these points, but have not gotten past the "concept-in-my-head" stage.

What did you have in mind?

#12 ·
Eh, kinda. If you're referring to the one I'm thinking about, it's more of a bull bar/push bumper than a brush guard. I'm looking for one that protects the whole front bumper though... just don't know if it would be feasible.

#14 ·
Parts on the Way!

For anyone who has already ordered a kit, I have placed an order with Fabrication to have a few of the kits made up. I have made a modification to the design in that I am using a thicker steel for the base plate and per suggestions, have added a spacer inside the post to strengthen it.

Once the kits get back to me, they will be painted and prepped for shipment. Let me know if anyone else is interested!

#16 ·
For anyone who has already ordered a kit, I have placed an order with Fabrication to have a few of the kits made up. I have made a modification to the design in that I am using a thicker steel for the base plate and per suggestions, have added a spacer inside the post to strengthen it.

Once the kits get back to me, they will be painted and prepped for shipment. Let me know if anyone else is interested!
that means I get a discount for a positive note in the suggestion box, right :wink: jk

as previously indicated, i'm in, waiting on my check to come thru.

Reactions: Warloq
#22 · (Edited)
@IRSmart
I see you are ahead of me then! I have my tires sitting in the basement, and lights on my Amazon Wishlist. Where did you mount your lights to, and how did you wire/switch them?

#23 ·
The light bar is clamped to the roof basket, and I got a wireless switch for under the hood. It is connected to my home link buttons inside the car, which allowed for no wiring to have to go inside the cabin. When I want to turn the light on, I just reach up and press the first garage door button on my sunvisor.

Attachments

#27 ·
Guy said it was 31. Maybe 30 or 32 but I'm not too concerned as long as it works!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#28 ·
So is anyone else looking at adding Tow Hooks? I've had a few orders placed, but nowhere near the interest I thought there would be!

#30 ·
Ha ha, I know the feeling. I'm spending money on lights and looking for a roof rack/basket

#31 ·
@IRSmart @Jonis326
Just called the fab shop today, they say the brackets should be done by the end of the week. Then paint (except for IR) and ship. I'll keep posting updates!

#33 ·
Awesome! Just let me know when you are ready to order. I've currently got two extra kits ordered so I'll have a bit quicker shipping to my next two orders. After those two are sold, I'll have to order them as needed again.

#34 ·
Just got the brackets back from the shop. They look really beefy with the 3/8 base! I'm out of town for the weekend, but paint and shipping should start next week/weekend

#35 ·

#38 · (Edited)
Lol, no. I also got some 3/4" steel tube to use as spacers inside the post. I gotta figure out how to cut it so it fits in there nice and tight.

Yeah that looks quite impressive. I am looking forward to installing these bad boys on my jeep. Think I may even test them on my neighbors Hummers. ~.~

As far as the spacers, I'd use like a metal band saw a little longer than needed and then take a belt/disc grinder to them little by little til they fit perfectly.

#37 ·
Lol, no. I also got some 3/4" steel tube to use as spacers inside the post. I gotta figure out how to cut it so it fits in there nice and tight.

#39 ·
Ha ha. The Hummer may not appreciate that.

New disclaimer: This product adds the ability to pull objects with the front of the KL. It does not add more power to be able to pull big trucks or Hummers out of the parking space you wanted!

Attempting to do this may result in hurt feelings and (if you succeed), slashed tires or new ventilation holes in your KL... Lol

#40 ·
@Jonis326 @IRSmart
It's looking like shipping will be Thursday or Friday. I'm waiting on my shipping boxes to get here and getting the kits prepped.

Reactions: IRSmart
#42 ·
tbrou6229, what are the chances of installing these without taking the front valence off? is there enough room to get underneath them if you remove the bottom splash guard, the one with the access door for the oil drain plug, or is the fascia itself too deep to gain access? only reason I ask is because I pulled a PDF on front fascia removal for the KL, and it seems that because the fascia is so large, removing it is quite involved.

#43 ·
what are the chances of installing these without taking the front valence off? is there enough room to get underneath them if you remove the bottom splash guard, the one with the access door for the oil drain plug, or is the fascia itself too deep to gain access? only reason I ask is because I pulled a PDF on front fascia removal for the KL, and it seems that because the fascia is so large, removing it is quite involved.
I haven't found a good way to get to the front end without removing the bumper fascia. There is a black plastic piece that comes back too far to be able to get to the frame. Also, it's easier to cut the lower grille if you remove it.

It's actually not as horrible as it looks... A few screws and snaps. Takes a couple hours. The total install should only take an afternoon.