2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Glad I finally landed on this thread. Lot's of people looking for these and everyone saying "can't be done." Word will spread.

Interested if you are still taking orders. Were you able to make any 1/2" longer?
Hey Mtn William, yes, I am still taking orders; send me a PM and I will get you the ordering info.

The hooks as they are now actually extend as far as they can without compromising the strength of the bracket, while still fitting inside the fascia. The only way to make them extend more would be to buy a hook with a longer shank.

They don't really need to be longer, trust me. They stick out plenty, more so than the pictures lead on. In a good way, of course.

Oh, and op, I feel like your post that the skid plates were "a pain" to install was slightly understated lol
Ha ha, if you were doing it at the same time as putting the brackets for the hooks on, then you only had to take off the fascia once! But yes, "pain" was probably an understatement.

If you got the kit installed, why have I not seen pictures???

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Glad I finally landed on this thread. Lot's of people looking for these and everyone saying "can't be done." Word will spread.

Interested if you are still taking orders. Were you able to make any 1/2" longer?
Hey Mtn William, yes, I am still taking orders; send me a PM and I will get you the ordering info.

The hooks as they are now actually extend as far as they can without compromising the strength of the bracket, while still fitting inside the fascia. The only way to make them extend more would be to buy a hook with a longer shank.

They don't really need to be longer, trust me. They stick out plenty, more so than the pictures lead on. In a good way, of course.

Oh, and op, I feel like your post that the skid plates were "a pain" to install was slightly understated lol
Ha ha, if you were doing it at the same time as putting the brackets for the hooks on, then you only had to take off the fascia once! But yes, "pain" was probably an understatement.

If you got the kit installed, why have I not seen pictures???

I did it at night, so I couldn't grab nice photos. I was able to do all the skid plates and books at once, except for two exceptionally large bolts that I didn't have the right size socket for (21mm). I took it into work to tighten those two down. I'll grab some pics in a bit.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Would anyone be interested in ordering these powder coated, instead of painted? I've got a shop about 1.5 hrs away that can do it; but I want to see if there is an interest.

How much do you think powder coating is worth???

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
As someone who had theirs poweercoated, I highly recommend future buyers consider this as an option. It did add to the overall cost, but the longevity of a product that is not very easy to get to should it start to deteriorate was important to me.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
As someone who had theirs poweercoated, I highly recommend future buyers consider this as an option. It did add to the overall cost, but the longevity of a product that is not very easy to get to should it start to deteriorate was important to me.
Looking at the pricing this shop gave me, it's gonna add an additional $80. Total cost with powder coating would be $295 + shipping.

Is that good pricing? Or should I keep looking?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That's less than what I paid to have the base plate and the 4 spacers coated by $10 for what that's worth.

Also, side note, the spacers were a good idea after all. When I was installing them, all 4 spacers were pretty loose inside the bracket. I really cranked down on those puppies, and after I did so, they were very snug and wouldn't move at all. This means that the bracket does indeed have some flexing during install, so those spacers are doing their job pushing back on the inside of the bracket. I'm convinced that they make this application even stronger than the original design, maybe even stronger than trailhawk hooks.

Reactions: tbrou6229

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks for the PM, whats the lead time on these? from order to delivery?
Average turnaround is 3-4 weeks. If I have an extra kit, or an order already placed with the shop, it might be sooner.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey guys, I ordered these a couple months ago and installed them. They turned out pretty good. (I still need to get the rest of my honeycomb filed down so it looks better, although you can't tell from a distance,) I have to say that I got the chance to use these on Saturday and they worked great. I was pulling out a Chevy Equinox that had drifted off the interstate into a nice snow drift. The Chevy only had a hitch in the back to tow from (without digging out the underside of the front anyway) and I didn't want to turn around on the interstate to pull her backwards with my hitch, so I used my front tow tow hook instead. It worked like a champ even with some hard jerking to get the Chevy unstuck. These are a great edition and I have confidence to use them in the future!

Thanks tbrou6229!

The picture was from Thanksgiving (I didn't consider taking a picture when I was pulling out the Chevy due to the unsafe location of being on the side of the interstate.)

Attachments

Reactions: SkipW and Alxndr

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Hey guys, I ordered these a couple months ago and installed them. They turned out pretty good. (I still need to get the rest of my honeycomb filed down so it looks better, although you can't tell from a distance,) I have to say that I got the chance to use these on Saturday and they worked great. I was pulling out a Chevy Equinox that had drifted off the interstate into a nice snow drift. The Chevy only had a hitch in the back to tow from (without digging out the underside of the front anyway) and I didn't want to turn around on the interstate to pull her backwards with my hitch, so I used my front tow tow hook instead. It worked like a champ even with some hard jerking to get the Chevy unstuck. These are a great edition and I have confidence to use them in the future!

Thanks tbrou6229!

The picture was from Thanksgiving (I didn't consider taking a picture when I was pulling out the Chevy due to the unsafe location of being on the side of the interstate.)
Glad to hear they did good for you! I really think they are a good solution to fix an issue Jeep has apparently overlooked. I guess they figured that the non-TH models wouldn't have a use for recovery hooks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tbrou6229 - I just sent you a pm about these. I apologize for the double messages as my cat stepped on the computer keys and sent it out before I finished typing...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
tbrou6229 - I just sent you a pm about these. I apologize for the double messages as my cat stepped on the computer keys and sent it out before I finished typing...
No problem. Sent you reply!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Would anyone be interested in ordering these powder coated, instead of painted? I've got a shop about 1.5 hrs away that can do it; but I want to see if there is an interest.

How much do you think powder coating is worth???

I'm looking at doing one kit just to see how they go and what the final cost would actually be... If I did, would I have someone interested in buying the coated kit?

Cost for this kit would be $295 + shipping, unless it costs a lot less to do it than quoted. (Current quote is $70, not including tax, or drive/fuel to get to the shop which is a couple hours away).

I want to have one done simply to see if it's feasible, and to finalize the cost. I just don't want to have an extra kit built and powder coated if it's just gonna sit in the basement...

So, any takers???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hooks are on! I finished in under 2 hours, that's including a trip to the hardware store around the block to get a new set of bolts/locknuts(too much paint in the threads on the originals). Looking good! I found a great front bumper removal video on YouTube that was very helpful in addition to the instructions! Mad props, these things are sturdy AF. Outstanding quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Hooks are on! I finished in under 2 hours, that's including a trip to the hardware store around the block to get a new set of bolts/locknuts(too much paint in the threads on the originals). Looking good! I found a great front bumper removal video on YouTube that was very helpful in addition to the instructions! Mad props, these things are sturdy AF. Outstanding quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! Glad you like them. Sorry to hear about the bolts; I'm looking for a new source to get black ones instead of painting the gold colored hardware.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
@robbiebits in Brisbane Australia just sent me pics of this design installed on their white KL!

Personally, I find it kinda cool that this design of mine is on KLs across the US; now in Australia, and soon to be in Russia and Canada.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I can now offer these powder coated! Just got the first set back from the coating shop and I think they look really good.

This first set will be $295 + shipping and it is just about ready to be shipped. I just gotta finish a few more things and pack it up. PM or email me if you're interested!
[email protected]

I'm hoping to be able to reduce the price for future powder coated kits as I'm looking at using the same shop for both which will reduce costs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Question - Will these brackets and hooks fit inside a USPS Large Flat Rate Box, 12" x 12" x 5-1/2". That will help save on shipping to Hawaii. That is if you are willing to ship it through USPS.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts