2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may sound a bit weird but I was not pleased with the 9-speaker Alpine sound system in my 2019 Jeep Cherokee. Based on recommendations from a local car audio shop, I replaced the OEM speakers with Kenwood Excelon series speakers. Sad to say but I’m still not overly impressed – it's somewhat better but not really what I was hoping for. I want a fuller, deeper, maybe bassier sound (not boomy sub-woofer stuff).

I’ve been playing with the on board EQ but it’s still not great. So, I've been thinking about adding a more robust equalizer (maybe five or seven band). However, I want this to not just sound better but look indistinguishable as it is part of the car, not some after-market addon (i.e., small size, no lights, etc.). Maybe I’m dreaming here but I’d like to do this for around $100. Has anyone added a graphic equalizer to a Jeep Cherokee 9-speaker Alpine sound system?

Thanks,
Steve K.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
369 Posts
I think you will need to add a Digital Signal Processor to be able to really alter your sound quality . All my car audio installs were old school but know they make DSPs for new car audio builds, so hopefully the others on this forum that know the new audio builds will give you the best solution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks osimj, I will look into that. However, I believe I may still be interested in adding an equalizer.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
369 Posts
Thanks osimj, I will look into that. However, I believe I may still be interested in adding an equalizer.
And you still may be able to after the limited sound processing of the head unit is straightened out
I’ve kept some car audio equipment around, I have a Radio Shack Realistic Cassette deck car stereo an Equalizer and another Realistic 80 watt amp/graphic equalizer that has the LED display and signal lights on it. If I’m ever able to get an old car to toy around with I’m set and will look like it’s 1980 inside it.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,345 Posts
And you still may be able to after the limited sound processing of the head unit is straightened out
I’ve kept some car audio equipment around, I have a Radio Shack Realistic Cassette deck car stereo an Equalizer and another Realistic 80 watt amp/graphic equalizer that has the LED display and signal lights on it. If I’m ever able to get an old car to toy around with I’m set and will look like it’s 1980 inside it.
You mean like this old Kenwood with the built in EQ??? These units were king, back in the day!!!😎

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
369 Posts
You mean like this old Kenwood with the built in EQ??? These units were king, back in the day!!!😎
View attachment 214490
The realistic one has 7 band eq and 80 watt amp and mounts separately under the dash and rca cables connected them together then wires went to speakers. That was when we used to have room to mount items under the dash. 😎
I was a big Radio Shack guy and had great luck with their products , that’s why my old stuff still worked when I put it away for possible future use.
I never saw that particular Kenwood model or just never paid attention to it, I started using Kenwood CD radios and amps closer to 2000.
Hopefully someone can help out the OP so he can adjust his sound quality the way he wants it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have also wanted to add a DSP to my alpine setup. I hate the stupid 3 bar equalizer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have also wanted to add a DSP to my alpine setup. I hate the stupid 3 bar equalizer.
EDIT -
I've been doing more research on this. I think this may be beyond my pay grade (and budget). I'll keep reading and keep you posted. . .

SQENIXS,
Ahhh, this could be something I too may be interested in. I really don't know much about audiophile stuff just know what sounds good to me so please bear with me. Could you explain how adding a DSP affects the 3-bar equalizer. Is the onboard equalizer disengaged/bypassed? Where/how is the DSP connected; and what cost are you looking at?

Thanks,
SKK

·
Registered
946 Posts
EDIT -
I've been doing more research on this. I think this may be beyond my pay grade (and budget). I'll keep reading and keep you posted. . .

SQENIXS,
Ahhh, this could be something I too may be interested in. I really don't know much about audiophile stuff just know what sounds good to me so please bear with me. Could you explain how adding a DSP affects the 3-bar equalizer. Is the onboard equalizer disengaged/bypassed? Where/how is the DSP connected; and what cost are you looking at?

Thanks,
SKK
Well I believe the output from the stereo is optical in our alpine setup which goes to the alpine amp in the back. So Probably putting it in line with that I would think. The on board one would still be there so best to just keep it at default. Perhaps something like this would work (not cheap though):

This particular one requires a usb connection to PC to configure and use, although I am pretty sure there are wireless ones out there as well. I haven't really looked into them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I believe the output from the stereo is optical in our alpine setup which goes to the alpine amp in the back. So Probably putting it in line with that I would think. The on board one would still be there so best to just keep it at default. Perhaps something like this would work (not cheap though):

This particular one requires a usb connection to PC to configure and use, although I am pretty sure there are wireless ones out there as well. I haven't really looked into them.
Thanks Sqenixs, I will most certainly consider something like this. Like all of us, I'd really like to do this on the "cheap" but if this is what it takes and I could be assured it would make an appreciable difference I wouldn't rule it out.

Again, my thanks,
Steve K.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
556 Posts
I have six Rockford speakers and the Alpine amp with the stock EQ and it all sounds pretty good to me. I did add RetroMat in all speaker cavities and cut holes in the stock grills while adding aftermarket covers. Worked out well.

·
Registered
402 Posts

No it is not optical.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
757 Posts
^^^ Definitely not optical, interestingly, the 6 speaker and the Alpine 9 speaker uses the same FR/FL/RR/RL analog outputs, the radio merely bypasses its internal amp when in Alpine mode.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I found that the preamp coming from my head unit in my last vehicle was essential. Even though I had a 6 channel (6 x 75w RMS @4ohm) amp in the back. Too bad they turn that off in the cherokee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts