2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have the 2019s increased its capability at all? Does it do stop & go without resetting?
What do you mean by resetting? Turning off on it's own? Mine goes to a complete stop and waits, then goes with other cars (albeit little to slow). I'm thinking once; the wife and I sat in construction for quite a while and it disengaged. I only briefly remember though as we just bought the car that week. If that's what your referring to, it took a while for it to disengage. Like I said at the beginning I think it did, but could all be in my head lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have the 2019s increased its capability at all? Does it do stop & go without resetting?
From the 2019 manual:

"If the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action. If the target vehicle does not start moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the driver will either have to push the RES button, or press the accelerator to reengage the ACC to the existing set speed.

NOTE: After the ACC system holds your vehicle at a standstill for approximately 3 consecutive minutes, the parking brake system will be activated and the ACC system will be cancelled."

My new 2019 performs the same as my previous 2016. ACC is a 'must have' option for me. My only complaint is the inability to increase the following distance to a greater margin.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
This morning when I stopped at a stop light with a vehicle in front of me I let the ACC stop me and when the vehicle in front of me took off, my Jeep took off by itself without me putting my foot to the pedal. This I do very seldom as the vehicle in front of me may take off too fast and it may not work. Now if you are caught in slow traffic going like 15 mph to 20 mph and stop and go all the time, it would be great there perhaps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
From the 2019 manual:

"If the ACC system brings your vehicle to a standstill while following a target vehicle, if the target vehicle starts moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, your vehicle will resume motion without the need for any driver action. If the target vehicle does not start moving within two seconds of your vehicle coming to a standstill, the driver will either have to push the RES button, or press the accelerator to reengage the ACC to the existing set speed.

NOTE: After the ACC system holds your vehicle at a standstill for approximately 3 consecutive minutes, the parking brake system will be activated and the ACC system will be cancelled."

My new 2019 performs the same as my previous 2016. ACC is a 'must have' option for me. My only complaint is the inability to increase the following distance to a greater margin.
I think that's what happened to us the one time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is my first vehicle with adaptive cruise and I love it. I was a little surprised at how hard it will apply the breaks when someone in front of you slows down but once you are used to it that is a good thing. Definitely required in all future cars.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's the greatest feature, I set it at 1 car length, turn on the Lane keeping assist and watch Breaking Bad on my phone.
My dads Volvo says not to do that.

If you read your Jeeps the owners manual (and user guid) it says not to do that. It states you must always have your hands on the wheel and be paying full attention to what is going on in front of and around you even with if the systems are on, as there are many scenarios that can cause the various systems to fail at their tasks, and can cause a crash. Trust me I have read the full owners manual from cover to cover. By watching a video on your phone you are blatantly ignoring the legal warnings of FCA about your duties as a driver and the falibilities of the systems and the risks they pose. You may not care about your life should the systems fail and cause a crash but I hope you care about the lives of those you could kill or maim. Also of the legal jeopardy you leave your loved ones in as your actions would make you liable for the crash through what could be argued as negligence, and the person(s) you maimed or killed loved ones could sue your estate (basicly every single thing you own) to seak damages and pain and suffering leaving your family a deeply expensive legal case and the possibility they could lose everything they had left after your death (or sever disability)

·
Registered
284 Posts
My dads Volvo says not to do that.

If you read your Jeeps the owners manual (and user guid) it says not to do that. It states you must always have your hands on the wheel and be paying full attention to what is going on in front of and around you even with if the systems are on, as there are many scenarios that can cause the various systems to fail at their tasks, and can cause a crash. Trust me I have read the full owners manual from cover to cover. By watching a video on your phone you are blatantly ignoring the legal warnings of FCA about your duties as a driver and the falibilities of the systems and the risks they pose. You may not care about your life should the systems fail and cause a crash but I hope you care about the lives of those you could kill or maim. Also of the legal jeopardy you leave your loved ones in as your actions would make you liable for the crash through what could be argued as negligence, and the person(s) you maimed or killed loved ones could sue your estate (basicly every single thing you own) to seak damages and pain and suffering leaving your family a deeply expensive legal case and the possibility they could lose everything they had left after your death (or sever disability)
Your Dad's Volvo is right. Wow! / Whoops, I assumed it was blatantly obvious I'm Joking around. :x

1. It is a great feature - For me a must have going forward, though my next vehicle will drive itself. Cant wait!
2. I set the distance at the greatest distance or close to depending on driving conditions It works amazing, far more comfortable for long trips
3. I do not watch tv shows while driving. Not yet. "Jeep take me to work" can't wait

Now, If you can speak to cars, Please have a conversation with my Jeep and instruct it to Use 2nd Gear, Please, for the love of God, Please and Thank you

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I always use it when driving my TH. I really miss it when driving my 2019 Ram. I wish now I had gone ahead and got it on my Ram, but was a lot bucks different to get it on that vehicle. I would have had to go up to at least $58,000 MSRP for it on the Ram. Too bad they didn't make it available on the Big Horn and only starts on the Laramie with level 2.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Your Dad's Volvo is right. Wow! / Whoops, I assumed it was blatantly obvious I'm Joking around. :x

1. It is a great feature - For me a must have going forward, though my next vehicle will drive itself. Cant wait!
2. I set the distance at the greatest distance or close to depending on driving conditions It works amazing, far more comfortable for long trips
3. I do not watch tv shows while driving. Not yet. "Jeep take me to work" can't wait

Now, If you can speak to cars, Please have a conversation with my Jeep and instruct it to Use 2nd Gear, Please, for the love of God, Please and Thank you
I was hoping you where joking but given the number of Tesla crashes where drives do just that, and the general public the line between joke and truth is blurry. But either way I know most people don't actually read their owners manual so it is a good bit of info to have out there for those that have not and might assume that they could actually do that.

Personally I love my ACC especially when I have to go someplace like Seattle, where there is a lot of traffic and crazy drivers that will cut you off and stomp on the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I was hoping you where joking but given the number of Tesla crashes where drives do just that, and the general public the line between joke and truth is blurry. But either way I know most people don't actually read their owners manual so it is a good bit of info to have out there for those that have not and might assume that they could actually do that.

Personally I love my ACC especially when I have to go someplace like Seattle, where there is a lot of traffic and crazy drivers that will cut you off and stomp on the brakes.

LOL! You should try the East coast! When driving in Seattle,
I thought why is everyone so NICE! :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
While it's been years since I've driven in Seattle, as someone who lives in a city whose drivers are also frequently referred to as crazy by outsiders, let me assure you we are not crazy, it's simply a different driving style developed from the reality of living in a dense area with lots of traffic. My advice is to just go with the flow, and when in Seattle drive like a Seattleite or whatever they are called.

·
Registered
222 Posts
LOL! You should try the East coast! When driving in Seattle,
I thought why is everyone so NICE! :wink:
No kidding. I've driven many times in the New York/New Jersey area. Pure, aggressive madness for the most part.

And then you have some areas where two jam packed multi lane freeways merge into each other and become 2 lanes. Oh what fun it is.... >:D

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I love my ACC and use it all the time. It is really great on the Interstate if there are cars stopped in a traffic jam and you come upon it and the last person has taken off their brake lights and the ACC will defintley do its job. When I am that last person and nobody is right behind me I keep a look out and when I see a vehicle coming 70 mph at me I stop pumping my brake to let them know we are stopped here. You really get used to them and I really miss it on my 2019 Ram--it has the cross path-blind spot but no Safety Tec Group. I thought I could live without it but wish I had purchased it when I got my Ram. Only trouble on a Ram you have to move up to a Laramie with level 2 package and minimum on those are about 56,000 dollars so I just can't trade now. But I do love my Ram--just really miss the ACC and the rest of the Safety Tec Group.

·
Registered
826 Posts
While it's been years since I've driven in Seattle, as someone who lives in a city whose drivers are also frequently referred to as crazy by outsiders, let me assure you we are not crazy, it's simply a different driving style developed from the reality of living in a dense area with lots of traffic. My advice is to just go with the flow, and when in Seattle drive like a Seattleite or whatever they are called.
They drive like maniacs and if Washington State Patrol catches you driving like many of them they will pull you over for aggressive driving.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I love ACC - now. Let me explain...

ACC always had this annoying brake-slam and forward collision alert if the car in front of me moved into a left-turn lane and stopped. I got used to hitting the right blinker which would override the collision alert and braking.

Let me digress a bit more. I love my rain-sensitive wipers - now. What does that have to do with ACC? Great question!

When I first got the KL, I would constantly have to hit the momentary wipe to clean off light mist. So...

Windshield replacement #1. Dealer noticed a crack in the corner of the windshield. They wouldn't wash the car and in fact, put a note in my record that water damage near crack would not be covered by warranty. So the windshield got a quick replacement (covered by insurance). After replacement, rain sensors worked great! Noticed a lot of bubbles in the sensor that went away with the new windshield. Had to get the dealer to re-align the ACC camera since the glass company didn't have the right equipment. Now the lightest mist gets a quick auto-swipe! But ACC still the same. Maybe even a bit worse since the camera had bubbles too. Seemed much more sensitive to left-hand turners.

Windshield replacement #2. Dump trucks are supposed to cover their loads, except in rural Arizona where that's just a suggestion. A rather larger rock from an uncovered dump truck put a 12-inch crack in the windshield right in front of my face. Of course, all dump trucks have a big "Stay Back! Not responsible for broken windshields!" Pretty hard to stay back if you are passing the truck on a highway! This time Safelite replaced the windshield (again, covered by insurance) and they did the sensor alignment.

So now my ACC works like a charm! No more false alarms because of drivers in front of me making left-hand turns! ACC actually follows traffic much better. Rain-sensitive wipers still work great too!

I'm looking forward to windshield replacement #3! Who knows what wonderful discoveries will be made! (not!)

Moral of the story: If you are not happy with the performance of the ACC or rain-sensitive wipers, it may be an alignment and/or attachment (bubbles) issue. Wish I knew that earlier.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
94 Posts
It works, but as with all things technology based, it has its quirks and is only really useful in light traffic (otherwise, if someone pulls in the lane between you and the car you are "following" you will slow down rather quickly. Likewise, if the car you are following moves out of your lane the engine will rev and you will jump ahead to your normally set speed (if you were going slower than that because of the car you were following).

It is best for long stretches of highway without much congestion.
yep exactly. I remember renting a car in Switzerland that had it back in the day and I was blown away, so I knew I wanted it on my TH. Now I don'y really use it a ton because most of my driving is on the I-70 mountain corridor and it's always a sh!t show with traffic or constructions or steep grades and sharpe curves

·
Registered
106 Posts
For those of you that have the adaptive cruise control. What do you think of it?
I for one am a huge fan of adaptive cruise control. I have completely stopped using the regular cruise control since purchasing my first vehicle with adaptive in 2014.

Over the years it has got better at not slamming on the brakes so hard or going WOT to speed back up after a slower vehicle gets out of your way.

It allows me to pay more attention to what’s going around me when driving.

Unfortunately I can’t say the same thing for the lane keeping system. I have it set on the lowest sensitivity and I still find it annoying at times. In a perfect world the lane keep and adaptive cruise would work in unison with the navigation to drive the car on the freeway.

Maybe in the future FCA will integrate these systems so they have something like Super Cruise in Cadillac cars.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts