2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm interested to know more about how effective the active grille shutters are on the 2014 cherokee, do they make that much of a difference? Also does anyone know why they aren't included with the 3.2 litre engine?

·
Registered
700 Posts
The 3.2 doesn't require it. It's a necessary component for the 2.4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but any idea why it is necessary for the 2.4 and not the 3.2? If active grille shutters are for fuel efficiency shouldn't it come standard for both engines?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
May reduce needed cooling/air flow?

·
Registered
104 Posts
When they design a car they always starts with the highest trim and then they work their way down to the lowest trim. Inside and out

In the case of the Cherokee the engine bay and the air inlets were designed around the cooling needs of the highest trim engine the 3.2.

When they put the 2.4 in the engine bay they realized that they can reduce the air flow because the 2.4 doesn't needs as the 3.2 by the use of active grille shutters thus reducing the drag coefficient resulting in better mpg.

In recent years car manufactures will use anything at their disposal as long its financially viable to increase the mpg. Cafe regulations are forcing them, at least for once the government did something right

Alex

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Looked at a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4 L today with a March 2014 build date and I didn't see any active grille shutters. Have they been discontinued? Can someone post a picture so I can see what I am looking for?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The active grill shutters is located underneath the hood on the inside of the engine compartment. I'm at work at the moment so I cannot post a picture, but it is just a piece (looks somewhat like a radiator from the top view) and it is bolted on. I haven't looked too closely to provide more details.

The shutters are required on the 2.4l engines because the amount of airflow in the engine compartment is too much. Engines are designed to run at certain temperatures. By having too much cooling, you can actually affect your fuel economy. The 3.2l engine is larger and produces much more heat, it needs the additional cooling.

Reactions: bjdjr

·
Registered
4 Posts
If one of these shudders gets knocked loose is it ok just to roll with it? Surely if one of the flaps is malfunctioning, the others are still working fine, right? The dealership wants to charge me $500+ simply because one of the flaps got knocked out of place after I rear ended someone. Thinking of just reaching down in there and removing the one that is knocked out of place.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
If one of these shudders gets knocked loose is it ok just to roll with it? Surely if one of the flaps is malfunctioning, the others are still working fine, right? The dealership wants to charge me $500+ simply because one of the flaps got knocked out of place after I rear ended someone. Thinking of just reaching down in there and removing the one that is knocked out of place.
Call your insurance company, and inform them that the repair isn't 100%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts