2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me first say I know some individuals will say this is bad and it’s for fuel economy and so on. I have been running this mod for about 3 months now and from the research I did most people stayed it is for fuel economy more then anything.

This is not a how-to but I will do one if there is enough interest.
I just wanted to advise people that is able to be done with no CEL.

I completed this mod and have put multiple long and short drives on it. I will say this my mileage in town did take a drop slightly suffering about 10-12 miles out of a tank and highway mileage remained exactly the same. The benefit though is that in City my engine temp went down on average 8-10 Degress and about 12- 14/15 highway. The transmission temp went down about 6-8 in the city and 9-11 on the highway.
Now I will contribute some of the gas mileage on me moving from 18’s to 17’s on my wheels to allow bigger tires. I would also contribute some of the some of lower some of the transmission low temp to be from the lift I put on.
I also removed the bottom engine cover and had it rhino lined.

Now for what I did. I didn’t remove just the Fins. I remove the whole assembly out of the bumper (that thing actually weighs quite a bit. I did have to pull the motor out of the ags assembly (that you must keep)

If people are interested in this post for me to complete a (How-To) I will. I won’t be able to show you how to remove the assembly cause mines long gone lol. But I can show you what to do with the motor itself to make it work and have no CEL.

Oh I’m sorry I drive a 2014 Limited 2.4L

Please ask any questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
I didn't know any Cherokees have the active grill shutters. :huh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those were the main reasons. I live in Florida so when towing everything would heat up a little bit (that’s been alleviated completely). Also I was told that it couldn’t be completely removed with no CEL just from multiple websites I researched.
I had the front bumper off anyway for some other mods and realized how heavy it was so decided to give it a shot and see what happens.
If it did mess anything up I have a shop so it would have been easy just to reinstall it but now I see no reason to.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don’t think all of them do but my 2014 Limited 2.4L did.
Hmm... I wonder if it's just the 2.4 engine-models, to help with fuel mileage on the highway with the lower power output?
Congrats on changing it, though. Glad it's working for you. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
The engine and transmission are designed to operate at an optimal temperature range, and the active grill shutters are part of the measures that the engineers who designed the Cherokee took in order to maintain that optimal operating temperature.

By removing them, you are removing part of the Cherokee's ability to regulate under hood temperature.

Since you are in Florida, this may not have much deleterious impact, but in colder climates, this may create issues with getting up to and maintaining engine temperature.

·
Registered
919 Posts
like @sport stated, the entire fuel trim strategy was designed around warmup times based on operational shutters. Extended warmup times causes more fuel consumption as well s oil contamination. I don't see any gains.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well for me with the heat and towing it’s an improvement for me. I will keep this post updated on any changes good or bad. The original post shows all my stats as of now for 90 days. I will leave it up to y’all to decide whether to do it or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like @sport stated, the entire fuel trim strategy was designed around warmup times based on operational shutters. Extended warmup times causes more fuel consumption as well s oil contamination. I don't see any gains.

If you change anything on the engine and or tires and so forth you are messing with something fuel related. Unless you leave a car 100% factory not even a small lift you are messing with something. So you may have gains by any change you make but you always suffer somewhere else. Just my 2 Cents no offense meant.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

A lot of good info there for this post. I think if people read through it they will understand this a little better.
Thank you for posting all this info

·
Registered
3 Posts
So let me first say I know some individuals will say this is bad and it’s for fuel economy and so on. I have been running this mod for about 3 months now and from the research I did most people stayed it is for fuel economy more then anything.

I completed this mod and have put multiple long and short drives on it. I will say this my mileage in town did take a drop slightly suffering about 10-12 miles out of a tank and highway mileage remained exactly the same. The benefit though is that in City my engine temp went down on average 8-10 Degress and about 12- 14/15 highway. The transmission temp went down about 6-8 in the city and 9-11 on the highway.
Now I will contribute some of the gas mileage on me moving from 18’s to 17’s on my wheels to allow bigger tires. I would also contribute some of the some of lower some of the transmission low temp to be from the lift I put on.

Now for what I did. I didn’t remove just the Fins. I remove the whole assembly out of the bumper (that thing actually weighs quite a bit. I did have to pull the motor out of the ags assembly (that you must keep)

If people are interested in this post for me to complete a (How-To) I will. I won’t be able to show you how to remove the assembly cause mines long gone lol. But I can show you what to do with the motor itself to make it work and have no CEL.

Could you please post a HOW TO?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 latitude 2,4l and my active grill shutter motor is not working, how do I turn off the CEL. I really don’t want to take the entire bumper off.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Is there anyway you could post a how to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts