2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a little research on the Active Grill Shutters. It would seem there are some limiting criteria for this device to be installed.
1. The I-4 engine
2. Cannot have the Tech Package
History: Active Grill Shutters serve two functions: decreased engine warm-up time and increased aerodynamic efficiency at highway speeds.
Reason 1: The I-4 engine, being smaller than the V-6, does not block as much airflow at high speeds and needs the active grill shutters to get the same/better aerodynamic efficiency.
Reason 2: The Tech Package includes Adaptive Cruse Control/Forward Collision Mitigation systems. This system’s primary sensor is a radar dome located on the lower driver-side intake grill. This dome is hard mounted and precisely aligned to the vehicle’s superstructure. However, it takes up a good 6”-10” of the grill and the space behind that grill. It would seem that Chrysler does not have a smaller size of Active Grill Shutter to fit in this 6”-10” smaller grill area. I do not yet know what the impact is on Highway fuel economy.
So, if you have the I-4 and DID NOT get the Tech package, congratulations! You have Active Grill Shutters. Everyone else will have to do without.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Checked some Cherokees at local dealer and I-4 engine Trailhawks do not have Active Grill Shutters. Probably because of the greater approach angle. Maybe it had the Tech Package? Did not realize it had anything to do with it. Let me know if I am correct or not.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Interesting, I was trying to figure out what the active grill shutters were on my TH and couldn't figure it out. So, if they are not on there--no wonder I couldn't figure it out. I had my dealer give me a copy of the "options report" on my TH and I can't find anything on there mentioning any "active grill shutters" so they must not be on there. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I wonder how they function when they get caked with snow and ice in the winter.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I wonder how they function when they get caked with snow and ice in the winter.
The shutters are behind the radiator to prevent air from flowing into the engine bay. The fins in the radiator are small enough that snow will not slip through.

As well, the trailhawk is designed more for off-roading where your engine and transmission is working harder, in these settings you need adequate cooling. As well, the 4cyl trailhawk is much heavier than any other Cherokee model, which also means the engine and transmission are working harder and producing more heat than a sport 4cyl would. There is no need for the shutters on the trailhawk trim, it needs the extra airflow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If one of these shudders gets knocked loose is it ok just to roll with it? Surely if one of the flaps is malfunctioning, the others are still working fine, right? The dealership wants to charge me $500+ simply because one of the flaps got knocked out of place after I rear ended someone. Thinking of just reaching down in there and removing the one that is knocked out of place.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
If one of these shudders gets knocked loose is it ok just to roll with it? Surely if one of the flaps is malfunctioning, the others are still working fine, right? The dealership wants to charge me $500+ simply because one of the flaps got knocked out of place after I rear ended someone. Thinking of just reaching down in there and removing the one that is knocked out of place.
Can't you call the insurance company and tell them the repairs on your Cherokee weren't complete? You know, like I responded to in the other thread? lol

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
500 bucks to fix thats amazing. both start/stop and grill flaps are government features. companies get extra mileage credit for these things so more and more cars will have them. both seems like much more benefit to the govenrment than to the owner. alot of expense both to but and to fix for not much results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have done that. haha. What I am really trying to figure out is if I need to get this done ASAP by the dealership in town, or wait a couple months until I can get it down to the mom and pop shop my parents have a good relationship with and probably get it done cheaper. Either way, insurance is paying. No worries there.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
I have done that. haha. What I am really trying to figure out is if I need to get this done ASAP by the dealership in town, or wait a couple months until I can get it down to the mom and pop shop my parents have a good relationship with and probably get it done cheaper. Either way, insurance is paying. No worries there.
It doesn't /sound/ mission critical, you're either going to have more airflow or less airflow, depending on what position it broke in. Eitherway, it sounds like the worst case-scenario is maybe a negative adjustment to MPG for a few months.

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
636 Posts
If insurance is going to cover it, why does it matter how much it costs? Unless, you're getting a check from your insurance company and wanting to pocket the potential savings.

·
Registered
236 Posts
One thing I would add, although all items should be repaired fully/completely, sometimes the juice is not worth the squeeze. If you are fully comfortable to take a look and either fix yourself or confident not needed may be good to leave as-is.

We are also seeing a lot more government/environmental requirements. The use of 5W20 oil, Electronic Start/Stop system, etc. help Chrysler/Jeep meet their CAFE targets. Not sure I always agree with the validity of these items.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The shutters are behind the radiator to prevent air from flowing into the engine bay. The fins in the radiator are small enough that snow will not slip through.

As well, the trailhawk is designed more for off-roading where your engine and transmission is working harder, in these settings you need adequate cooling. As well, the 4cyl trailhawk is much heavier than any other Cherokee model, which also means the engine and transmission are working harder and producing more heat than a sport 4cyl would. There is no need for the shutters on the trailhawk trim, it needs the extra airflow.
The Active grille shutters are mounted to the bumper fascia in FRONT of the rad.

·
Registered
232 Posts
not sure if this question has been answered yet and if it has sorry for reanswering it. to be honest reach your hand down there after taking off the radiator guard and snap it back into place. it is literally a little motor that works off of engine temps to open and close the shutters, which are plastic as well as all components holding it together are plastic and just snap or clip back together. I had this system on my dart and dealt with it the three times I took my bumper off to put on my CAI and Tow Hook Adapter. once everything is properly repositioned you should be able to clear the CEL without it coming back. I you want to completely remove the system there are ways to do so. I would suggest going to a dart forum as they have already done the trail and error of doing so and you can just pick which solution you like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts