2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving on a dirt road this weekend, road was going downhill and the car picked up some speed and hit a 6”-8” lip in the road. All four tires came off the ground and landed rather hard. Front end has a rattle going over rough terrain now. Springs and shocks are all in tact and functioning properly. Strut clamps are loose enough to spin but have no play. Have to check all the linkages still. Anything else worth giving a once over?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The suspension on these seem pretty solid compared to past chrysler models like the patriots and compasses. The only things I’ve seen when I worked at the dealership was loose lower ball joints. Even slight play in these makes noise on the cherokees. The downside is even though they are pressed in, you have to buy the entire knuckle. For some reason, chrysler does not offer ball joints when pressed into aluminum, like newer Ram trucks, you have to buy the control arm. The aftermarket may offer them, but I haven’t checked.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have a good alignment shop check the alignment and give it a once over. Most likely it survived with no damage though. Hitting a pothole at 70 mph probably causes more damage due to the sharp hit a pothole is vs 4 tires taking air and the suspension compressing to take the weight when landing.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,479 Posts
Driving on a dirt road this weekend, road was going downhill and the car picked up some speed and hit a 6”-8” lip in the road. All four tires came off the ground and landed rather hard. Front end has a rattle going over rough terrain now. Springs and shocks are all in tact and functioning properly. Strut clamps are loose enough to spin but have no play. Have to check all the linkages still. Anything else worth giving a once over?
Is it a Trailhawk???😎

·
Registered
885 Posts
I did something similar in my old S-10 Blazer years ago. No damage from that, either. :cool:

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,784 Posts
whoops what do you think you have? a 1968 Dodge Charger or a 1968 Mustang GT?
Lol, I had to try it on that road when I was stationed in CA. In a '65 Imperial! But I doubt I really took to the air, just slammed to the stops. Loved the suspension on that thing!
fyi, did you notice how they kept looping the shots going around the green Bug?
Guess I'm really old, I remember noticing that when I was a kid! My buddy in H.S. had a red one, so we keyed in on that one...:cool:

Hah! Didn't even know that became a net meme, it's famous! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
There are a long list of suspension, steering and power train components that can contribute to a front end vibration. I have replaced them all at one time or another trying to solve my front end vibration issues. In general, I've only replaced a given part if it was obviously worn or damaged.
  1. Linkage from anti-sway bars (check torqued per spec)
  2. Lower ball joint (check wear, torqued per spec)
  3. LCA (check bushing wear, torqued per spec)
  4. Steering knuckle (check for damage)
  5. Outer tie rod end (check wear, torqued per spec)
  6. Inner tie rod (check wear, torqued per spec)
  7. Axle bearing hub (bolted to knuckle; check wear, torqued per spec)
  8. Front axles (check wear, torqued per spec) seated properly in differential
  9. Struts (check wear, torqued per spec)
  10. Strut bearing caps (check wear, torqued per spec, adjusted for proper camber)
  11. Rotors (check wear and runout)
  12. Tires (balanced, road force) heavy truck tires can exacerbate the problem
  13. Alignment
Given that my current vibration is constant above 45 mph, I believe it to be a tire imbalance, alignment or worn bearing cap.

I'm starting with replacing the strut bearing caps (since they have about 80K on them) and checking the lower ball joints as well as all the torqued connections. I recently had a brake job (new front rotors and pads) after 136K miles on the original parts; amazing! It did not eliminate the vibration as the service tech thought. After the bearing caps are replaced, I'll get the tires balanced and an alignment.

If you have a lift, make sure your bearing caps are rotated correctly for proper camber. Read these 4 posts in the Dobinson +Aussie thread, 326-329.

Happy Trails

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
fyi, did you notice how they kept looping the shots going around the green Bug?
Guess I'm really old, I remember noticing that when I was a kid! My buddy in H.S. had a red one, so we keyed in on that one...Hah! Didn't even know that became a net meme, it's famous!
omg no, that is too funny! thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts