2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, dear jeep lovers.

I´m new here in this forum.
I´m from Brasil and live in Abu Dhabi/ UAE. I have a Cherokee trailhawk 2015, yes another victim of a failed PTU (thank God under extended warranty), no cost for me.

My question is.... If you pull the ABS fuse out with the intent to disable the traction control system, does the 4WD system disables itself along with the ABS ?

I have tried that and I realized that having the ABS fuse out (F96), along with ABS and ESC lights on, the car shows the "4WD temporarily disabled"

Really??? That´s sux :(

Any solution?

Desert dune bashing with ESC system on is dangerous :(

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
How fast do you plan on going. Below 56kms/h the esp system is completely disabled when you push and hold the esp button for 5 seconds.

Never tried on my cherokee, but on my grand cherokee I could pull the ABS fuse and still have 4x4.

Have you actually verified the awd system doesn't work with the abs fuse pulled?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How fast do you plan on going. Below 56kms/h the esp system is completely disabled when you push and hold the esp button for 5 seconds.

Never tried on my cherokee, but on my grand cherokee I could pull the ABS fuse and still have 4x4.

Have you actually verified the awd system doesn't work with the abs fuse pulled?
yeap...

I did pull the F96 fuse... The ABS and Traction control light remain on.
I went for a short drive, and any change on AWD system like switching for sport or any attempt to engage 4WDL low triggered the msg "4WD system temporarily disabled" :(

Pushed the fuse back in place, and 4WD came back online.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
This is what the 2014 Owner's Manual has to say:
"Full Off — Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 4WD High
And 4WD Low Range
The “Full Off” mode is intended for off-highway and
off-road use when ESC stability features could inhibit
vehicle maneuverability due to trail conditions.
The “ESC Off” button is located in the lower switch bank
above the climate control panel. To enter “Full Off”
mode, press and hold the “ESC Off” button for five
seconds while the vehicle is stopped with the engine
running. After five seconds, the ESC Off indicator light
will illuminate and an “ESC Off” message will appear in
the odometer."

Hopefully selecting "sand" mode on the Select Speed control knob helps.

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
Just so you know....the vehicle is in awd all the time. So leave it in auto pull the fuse and try again you might get lucky and still have an operating awd system. Just don't touch the selec terrain

·
Banned
4,607 Posts
What's the deal with selec terrain? In 4x4 low all it does is change transmission shifting algorithms, and changes brake lock differential programming, also if you want more info on selec terrain information

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I´ll run a test tomorrow. Pull out the ABS fuse, i wont touch the terrain selector and drive on the sand to check if the rear wheels are going to spin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys just to update you...

My mistake, the AWD system is in fact working even though the abs fuse is disconnected. I asked a friend to check from outside then went full gas over some dirt/sand terrain. The 4 wheels were spinning, but we lose the function that changes terrain setting and changes the low range. Once you try to change terrain or engage the 4WDL the dash shows the message "4WD system temporarily unavailable" and the system remains in AUTO.

Thats really annoying. Lose the 4WD different setting because the ABS is off??
Darm Jeep!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts