2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, say mid-March, I started getting messages on my screen. First, it was the “Service Parking Brake” message and the blinking light on my brake pull on the console. Then came “Start/Stop Not Available”, which didn’t really bother me because I turn that off as soon as I start my Jeep. Lastly, my odometer started blinking. So, I got a brand new, GREAT, battery, installed it, nothing changed, contrary to what I read here and there online. I’m having brakes put on this Friday, so, I’m hoping to avoid incurring any additional charges, I did the battery disconnect thing and left it off for probably 4 or 5 hours. Came out and put everything back together, fired it up, NOPE. All still there. I have to assume at least ONE of you guys/gals has had this issue, or one of them…my local mechanics are excellent and I’ve used them for the past 10 years; I don’t do dealerships, FYI, unless I absolutely have to. Suggestions? Cures? Resources? Thank you in advance and I look forward to being a part of this community. With the advent of Facebook, I’ve missed the “old school” message boards. Just feels right. Thanks, everyone, and THERE’S ONLY ONE!! ~|||||||~

·
Registered
12,016 Posts
A while back, say mid-March, I started getting messages on my screen. First, it was the “Service Parking Brake” message and the blinking light on my brake pull on the console. Then came “Start/Stop Not Available”, which didn’t really bother me because I turn that off as soon as I start my Jeep. Lastly, my odometer started blinking. So, I got a brand new, GREAT, battery, installed it, nothing changed, contrary to what I read here and there online. I’m having brakes put on this Friday, so, I’m hoping to avoid incurring any additional charges, I did the battery disconnect thing and left it off for probably 4 or 5 hours. Came out and put everything back together, fired it up, NOPE. All still there. I have to assume at least ONE of you guys/gals has had this issue, or one of them…my local mechanics are excellent and I’ve used them for the past 10 years; I don’t do dealerships, FYI, unless I absolutely have to. Suggestions? Cures? Resources? Thank you in advance and I look forward to being a part of this community. With the advent of Facebook, I’ve missed the “old school” message boards. Just feels right. Thanks, everyone, and THERE’S ONLY ONE!! ~|||||||~
Hi there,

If the Stop/Start message was only 'not available', that usually excludes the battery. I know there are tons of messages here about ESS and the battery, but the message for a dying battery is a persistant 'Stop/Start unvailable Battery Charging'. But hey you got a new battery...

Blinking odometer : is it still blinking ? If so, you first need to t-shoot the source, then you'll need a proxy alignment. Proxy align is typically done at a dealership because it requires a scan tool capable of doing this, but dealers aren't the only ones who can do this, but the right equipment (and basic skills) is needed.

Sounds to me like a park brake problem. Have you checked for water under the spare tire ? That's where the park brake module is located and some Cherokees are victim to water infiltration from the rear hatch.

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,016 Posts
As Mark said, check for water in the modules first. With a blinking odometer you will need to have a proxy alignment performed. If it was caused by failing brake modules, they will need to get replaced before the proxy alignment will be successful. If its all related to battery fluctuations, then you will just need a proxy alignment and it should fix it all. I believe the dealership charges around 200 dollars for it. There is a good chance you will not be able to do the rear pads until you get it fixed as you will need to put the rear calibers into service mode before they are removed, and it might now allow it with the codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts