2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an ADI Cherokee and was using the sand/mud mode out on the beach. The sand wasn't too soft and the Cherokee was making its way just fine. However, all of a sudden I see a message saying "4x4 Temporarily Unavailable". Luckily, it happened right as I was approaching the beach exit ramp. I drove on down the road and stopped at a store and put it in Park. I turned the car off and then back on and the same message appeared and the check engine light came on and stayed on too.

Any suggestions as to what's up with my Cherokee?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Definitely take it to a dealer and have it checked out as soon as possible is my recommendation. Doubt if any are open today--but might be. My dealer who normally has their service department open on Sat. is closed for Easter weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE 2: Took it by Autozone today and had them check the code. They said it passed and didn't show any fault codes. It seems to drive fine in auto mode driving around town on pavement. Perhaps its a Chrysler specific fault code having to do with some of the AWD system components? All of this seems strange to me.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
UPDATE 3 : After driving around for the day, all warning lights are off. I guess all is well.

I would still suggest calling your service manager next week and let him know what happened--hope everything is okay now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had this happen, same terrain.....sand. Never had a problem on dirt or snow before. Unfortunately, I was NOT near the beach exit.....I was about 2 miles away across a beach with deep soft sand. Now, after pulling the 4X4 driveline around for a year with only some snow use it left me high and dry when I really needed it. I had to limp off the beach in front wheel drive with my tranny temp around 230 degrees. I made it.

The "4X4 Temporarily Unavailable" dissappeared shortly after hitting pavement and a ride directly to the dealer was met with the "you can leave it but we have no loaners" deal. I opted to leave and bring it back with an appointment. On the way home the check engine light went out.

At home I found this.....

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/Misc/Cherokee/KL_TSB/KL_21_015_15a.pdf

Got the R01 trans update, the R05 airbag update, and 21-015-15a done today. Not sure if the TSB is for the exact problem we had but there is only one way to find out. So now there shouldn't be snap rings popping out of the tranny, the airbags shouldn't blow up next to my head on uneven terrain, and hopefully I won't have my 4X4 take a dump when I need it the most.

If I didn't love this car there would be some real problems........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the exact same problem with my TH. took to dealer and they ended up replacing the rear module assembly, No problem since.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, that may have been some time ago. First they replace the hardware and send the defective parts back to the brains at Chrysler. Then, if possible, software updates are created to remedy the hardware issues. This is the case here as well as with all the transmission problems. Hopefully I will never have it happen again. So far, three beach trips without a repeat.

I heard some actually got "stuck" in low....forcing a removal. The software update (as you can read) had a provision for releasing it without removal now. Just curious, was youurs stuck in low?

Regardless, even with the new unit, I would flash the PCM and such with the TSB anyway if you haven't done it already.

Also, it could have just failed because of a completely unrelated issue.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I had the 4WD overheated display come on three times during normal driving. All three times, the warning flashed for a few seconds and went away almost as fast as it came on. I never had a CEL and the car drove fine. Both times I had the dealer look at it, there was a stored code stating that the trans case clutch reported an overtemp condition (code c-1477-4b). The dealer performed a few flashes for the TCM and RDU (TSB 14-040 and 21-015-15) and the condition has never returned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this is an old thread and all, but I was wondering whether this was ever resolved for any of you.

I have a 2015 Limited w/ AD1 and had the exact same problem - driving on the beach, about 3 miles with the Selec-Terrain set to sand/mud when the "4WD Temporarily Unavailable" message pops up. I stopped the car and enjoyed the beach for about 5 hours and then when I restarted the car, the light and warning was still on and the electronic stability control light was on as well. Drove off the beach okay (did not check trans temp though), and aired back up from 14lbs to 33lbs on the pavement and then 5 minutes later the lights were all off. That's great and all, but I need the 4WD on the beach, not the pavement...

Anyone have any thoughts on this before I head to the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I know this is an old thread and all, but I was wondering whether this was ever resolved for any of you.

I have a 2015 Limited w/ AD1 and had the exact same problem - driving on the beach, about 3 miles with the Selec-Terrain set to sand/mud when the "4WD Temporarily Unavailable" message pops up. I stopped the car and enjoyed the beach for about 5 hours and then when I restarted the car, the light and warning was still on and the electronic stability control light was on as well. Drove off the beach okay (did not check trans temp though), and aired back up from 14lbs to 33lbs on the pavement and then 5 minutes later the lights were all off. That's great and all, but I need the 4WD on the beach, not the pavement...

Anyone have any thoughts on this before I head to the dealer?

Thanks
I haven't done sand, so no expert here. At least one member said they recommended using 4WD LOW in the sand, but you don't have that option. Maybe a sand expert will chime in on this.

I doubt monitoring the trans temp will do any good. The Rear Drive Module (rear end) has a wet clutch called the Torque Transfer Device. It may be that when it gets hot (and there is no gauge for you to monitor that), it cuts out the 4WD to save itself. If that's true, it's probably best to take it easy in the sand.

Agree that taking it to the dealer is a good idea.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i was just driving down the road and 4WD low is unavailable came up with take it in for service came up has anyone fond out why ,just took it in a week and half ago and was told had no up dates on it .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sharing my experience that happened couple of weeks back:

I was at a red traffic light in full stop. I had to make a sharp left after the light turned green. (It is about 35~40% degree angle cornering but the road it a normal city street). I accelerated and the 4x4 temporarily unavailable & check engine light came on right after I came out of the cornering (thanks God). I could feel that the acceleration was not as powerful but as I was very close to my destination, I kept on driving.

In the parking lot, I tried to back up but the R gear would not work. I was literally stuck in the parking lot. Turned off the engine and turned it on again. Fortunately, the R gear worked and I could feel that the power in the wheels are at the normal level. The check engine light was still on.

Not knowing what exactly is going on, I did some internet search and came across this posting. (Thank you all). And as suggested, I have been driving around and the check engine light eventually went off.

Tried to replicate the issue but I was not able to. (Or I was too scared to fully replicate the issue). FYI, one traffic light before this happened, I was on N gear, and the day prior, I used the Sports mode on the AWD. But looking at the thread, these seem to be less of an issue that impacted this incident.

FYI, I recently bought the car used from a colleague of mine, and it was mostly used as a school run car by his wife. It is 2014 model with 40K on it, so, it is rather young(?) one. Now all of a sudden, I have another major issue with engine oil filter housing - that adds up to my bill and eats off my confidence in my Jeep's reliability :(

I didn't bring it to the dealer yet, but as there are couple of pending recalls, I will let them know about what happened so that they can take a look. (But I am not expecting anything - as the vehicle worked fine on my quick road trip that added about 500 miles over the last weekend).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sharing my experience that happened couple of weeks back:

I was at a red traffic light in full stop. I had to make a sharp left after the light turned green. (It is about 35~40% degree angle cornering but the road it a normal city street). I accelerated and the 4x4 temporarily unavailable & check engine light came on right after I came out of the cornering (thanks God). I could feel that the acceleration was not as powerful but as I was very close to my destination, I kept on driving.

In the parking lot, I tried to back up but the R gear would not work. I was literally stuck in the parking lot. Turned off the engine and turned it on again. Fortunately, the R gear worked and I could feel that the power in the wheels are at the normal level. The check engine light was still on.

Not knowing what exactly is going on, I did some internet search and came across this posting. (Thank you all). And as suggested, I have been driving around and the check engine light eventually went off.

Tried to replicate the issue but I was not able to. (Or I was too scared to fully replicate the issue). FYI, one traffic light before this happened, I was on N gear, and the day prior, I used the Sports mode on the AWD. But looking at the thread, these seem to be less of an issue that impacted this incident.

FYI, I recently bought the car used from a colleague of mine, and it was mostly used as a school run car by his wife. It is 2014 model with 40K on it, so, it is rather young(?) one. Now all of a sudden, I have another major issue with engine oil filter housing - that adds up to my bill and eats off my confidence in my Jeep's reliability :(

I didn't bring it to the dealer yet, but as there are couple of pending recalls, I will let them know about what happened so that they can take a look. (But I am not expecting anything - as the vehicle worked fine on my quick road trip that added about 500 miles over the last weekend).
This EXACT thing happened to me. The 4WD temporarily unavailable light came on and then my acceleration went down the drain. I pulled over, turned my car off, sat, turned it back on and it was running fine after. However, this same issue seems to come up when I am at highway speeds for extended periods of time. I want to take into the dealer before I go on a road trip but wanted to check and see what your experience was after bringing it in.

thanks.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
This EXACT thing happened to me. The 4WD temporarily unavailable light came on and then my acceleration went down the drain. I pulled over, turned my car off, sat, turned it back on and it was running fine after. However, this same issue seems to come up when I am at highway speeds for extended periods of time. I want to take into the dealer before I go on a road trip but wanted to check and see what your experience was after bringing it in.

thanks.
Welcome !

Please tell us more about your Cherokee : model year, mileage, engine and also a detailed account of your current problem(s). And have you had the original battery replaced yet, and if so, when ? Thx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome !

Please tell us more about your Cherokee : model year, mileage, engine and also a detailed account of your current problem(s). And have you had the original battery replaced yet, and if so, when ? Thx.
I have the 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Latitude. The mileage is just around 60k. I had to have my original battery replaced last summer.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I have the 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Latitude. The mileage is just around 60k. I had to have my original battery replaced last summer.
Thanks. And what exactly are your current problems ? Which engine do you have ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I also still occasionally get "4x4 temporarily unavailable" and a red circular light on the dash.

For me though, this is always related to turning on the headlights, or flashing someone my high beams.

This was happening frequently before I changed my battery about a year ago, but has continued happening every once in a while since then.

Most often it happens under 2 scenarios:

-I start the car and immediately turn the headlights on.... and ding!!!!
-I have been driving on the freeway for an extended time, and I either need to flash someone, or the sun sets, and I need to turn on my headlights.

The dash re-sets simultaneously , and the spedometer and tachometer do their little dance going all the way up, all the way down, and then resuming operation, and the Cherokee's EVIC and radio reboot.
The car enters some sort of safe mode where acceleration is reduced, and the power steering assist is noticeably decreased (the steering feels much stiffer, which incidentally, I actually prefer).

This seems to also happen more often when it's cold outside.

I do have aftermarket 35W HIDs installed with PWM "smart" modules.

I have taken it to the dealership multiple times, they did a BCM update to no avail, and claim that it is most likely related to my aftermarket headlights, and refuse further diagnostics.

Every time this happens, I have to pull over, turn the ignition off, take the key out of the ignition, lock the car, and wait 3-5 minutes for all of the computers to totally shut down, and only then can I start the car without the warning still being there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts