2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk 4cyl 70,000 miles. We also bought the mopar extended warranty when we bought the car. We recently took our car in due to a “service electronic braking system” message. This message would go away once restarting the vehicle but would pop back up while driving later. I took it in and they fixed it eventually after spending close to $400 for replacing a vacuum and brake booster. Now I am get the “4wd system temporarily out of service” message. What the hell is wrong with my car? I so sick of spending hours at the dealership.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Hi all! I have a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk 4cyl 70,000 miles. We also bought the mopar extended warranty when we bought the car. We recently took our car in due to a “service electronic braking system” message. This message would go away once restarting the vehicle but would pop back up while driving later. I took it in and they fixed it eventually after spending close to $400 for replacing a vacuum and brake booster. Now I am get the “4wd system temporarily out of service” message. What the hell is wrong with my car? I so sick of spending hours at the dealership.
Hi there, and welcome to JCC :)

So you're the original owner ? If so, have you replaced the original battery yet ? Could very well be battery related... as they don't last usually more than 4 years, depending on a few factors. If you decide to have the battery tested, just know that some techs out there don't know that a Cherokee battery may test good, but it's not necessarily good enough... Anything below 60% health means replace (not state of charge, but state of health).

Is your engine stop/start feature working ? This system (ESS) is a very good indirect battery health monitor.

If it is the battery, we can help you find one at the lowest price. Not sure if the extended warranty covers batteries, it might, so best to ask the dealer first. By that I mean if the battery is dying and isn't covered under warranty, avoid going to the dealer to have it tested, they'll charge too much, probably, especially if they suspect you'll buy a battery elsewhere. My suggestion would then be to have it tested elsewhere (most auto parts stores and shops do this).

Keep us posted !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, and welcome to JCC :)

So you're the original owner ? If so, have you replaced the original battery yet ? Could very well be battery related... as they don't last usually more than 4 years, depending on a few factors. If you decide to have the battery tested, just know that some techs out there don't know that a Cherokee battery may test good, but it's not necessarily good enough... Anything below 60% health means replace (not state of charge, but state of health).

Is your engine stop/start feature working ? This system (ESS) is a very good indirect battery health monitor.

If it is the battery, we can help you find one at the lowest price. Not sure if the extended warranty covers batteries, it might, so best to ask the dealer first. By that I mean if the battery is dying and isn't covered under warranty, avoid going to the dealer to have it tested, they'll charge too much, probably, especially if they suspect you'll buy a battery elsewhere. My suggestion would then be to have it tested elsewhere (most auto parts stores and shops do this).

Keep us posted !
Thank you for your reply! We are the second owners. The vehicle doesn’t have the star/stop feature it has the weird key fob. I will definitely be swinging by my local auto store to have it tested!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Thank you for your reply! We are the second owners. The vehicle doesn’t have the star/stop feature it has the weird key fob. I will definitely be swinging by my local auto store to have it tested!
You bet ;)

Ooops I missed the 4cyl reference in your first post. 4 cylinder Cherokees didn't come with ESS, not until 2019. Yes, definitely have the battery checked :)

Edit to add : FYI, the battery size for your 4 cylinder model is a group 48 (or H6). You can easily fit a slightly larger group 94R (or H7) which is standard on V6 Cherokees, and your battery tray and cables are identical to those in V6 models, so the 94R (H7) fits perfect. You could also buy the AGM variant, which is known to last longer than regular wet batteries. V6 Cherokees get AGM batteries, and you'll find they are not that much more expensive than regular batteries in thes size (maybe $20-$30 more). Well worth it. You can find 94R (H7) batteries almost everywhere (all major auto parts stores, Walmart, Costco, etc...).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You bet ;)

Ooops I missed the 4cyl reference in your first post. 4 cylinder Cherokees didn't come with ESS, not until 2019. Yes, definitely have the battery checked :)

Edit to add : FYI, the battery size for your 4 cylinder model is a group 48 (or H6). You can easily fit a slightly larger group 94R (or H7) which is standard on V6 Cherokees, and your battery tray and cables are identical to those in V6 models, so the 94R (H7) fits perfect. You could also buy the AGM variant, which is known to last longer than regular wet batteries. V6 Cherokees get AGM batteries, and you'll find they are not that much more expensive than regular batteries in thes size (maybe $20-$30 more). Well worth it. You can find 94R (H7) batteries almost everywhere (all major auto parts stores, Walmart, Costco, etc...).
Just got back from my local auto parts store and they said the battery, starter, and alternator are all fine. This message hasn’t come back on yet do you think I should wait for it to come back on before taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Just got back from my local auto parts store and they said the battery, starter, and alternator are all fine. This message hasn’t come back on yet do you think I should wait for it to come back on before taking it to the dealer?
Hmm. Yes, you should wait. Just watch for signs of a weak battery, like slower cranking power with a cold or warm engine. Have yo tried getting the Jeep into 4 Low ? Just to see if it will engage in 4 Low.
And as I've said, good battery tests aren't always accurate ; it depends on the testing equipment used and the person doing the testing. We've seen it here quite a few times on the forum, where someone had their battery tested as good at one place, then bad at another. I'm not saying yours is bad, I just want you to be open to the possibility ;)

Let us know if you get more malfunction messages and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. Yes, you should wait. Just watch for signs of a weak battery, like slower cranking power with a cold or warm engine. Have yo tried getting the Jeep into 4 Low ? Just to see if it will engage in 4 Low.
And as I've said, good battery tests aren't always accurate ; it depends on the testing equipment used and the person doing the testing. We've seen it here quite a few times on the forum, where someone had their battery tested as good at one place, then bad at another. I'm not saying yours is bad, I just want you to be open to the possibility ;)

Let us know if you get more malfunction messages and we'll take it from there.
I did try 4 low and it worked then I tried the rear lock and that just kept flashing.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I did try 4 low and it worked then I tried the rear lock and that just kept flashing.
Oh... I don't have the rear locker on mine, so perhaps someone else can chime in. But keep an eye on things and report any anomaly.
This may end up requiring a dealership visit, especially if you can't engage the rear locker...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh... I don't have the rear locker on mine, so perhaps someone else can chime in. But keep an eye on things and report any anomaly.
This may end up requiring a dealership visit, especially if you can't engage the rear locker...
Thank you so much for all your responses. You have been more helpful than the guys at my local dealer.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,267 Posts
Hi Averymagnelli,
I'm sorry to hear that you are facing concerns with your Jeep Cherokee! While I can see you are finding advice here from your fellow forum members, please know that our team is always here for support via private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
429 Posts
I likewise have a 2015 Cherokee and I intermittently get the same message. For me, it is always associated with turning on my headlights. Usually when starting and immediately turning on the headlights.
This used to happen frequently and I replaced the battery, which fixed it 95%. It still happens once every few months. Again, usually when starting, or after cruising on the freeway for an extended time, and immediately upon turning on the headlights.

I have to pull over, turn off the car, exit, lock it, wait for 3-5 minutes, and re-start.
I do have aftermarket HID bulbs with PWM modules though, so I suspect it is some sort of protection built in that reacts to either a drop or surge in voltage. Leaning towards a drop since it used to happen much more frequently before I replaced the battery.

I have gotten into the habit of waiting until I can raise the RPMs somewhere above 2k before turning on my headlights, hoping that the alternator can more easily regulate the voltage at higher RPMs.

I took it to the dealership and refuse to diagnose it without restoring my headlights to stock, but even if I did that, there is almost zero chance they can replicate the error when it happens once every few months.

I wouldn't mind this nearly as much if it didn't also take out the stability control and reduce power steering assist.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I likewise have a 2015 Cherokee and I intermittently get the same message. For me, it is always associated with turning on my headlights. Usually when starting and immediately turning on the headlights.
This used to happen frequently and I replaced the battery, which fixed it 95%. It still happens once every few months. Again, usually when starting, or after cruising on the freeway for an extended time, and immediately upon turning on the headlights.

I have to pull over, turn off the car, exit, lock it, wait for 3-5 minutes, and re-start.
I do have aftermarket HID bulbs with PWM modules though, so I suspect it is some sort of protection built in that reacts to either a drop or surge in voltage. Leaning towards a drop since it used to happen much more frequently before I replaced the battery.

I have gotten into the habit of waiting until I can raise the RPMs somewhere above 2k before turning on my headlights, hoping that the alternator can more easily regulate the voltage at higher RPMs.

I took it to the dealership and refuse to diagnose it without restoring my headlights to stock, but even if I did that, there is almost zero chance they can replicate the error when it happens once every few months.

I wouldn't mind this nearly as much if it didn't also take out the stability control and reduce power steering assist.
Hi,

That's not right, even with an HID kit. A bunch of us here have HID kits and this is not something I've seen before ; not related to HIDs anyway. A few things come to my mind : loose battery connectors (there are not easy to get on tight), a bad ground somewhere, a defective battery (yeah the second one). Or perhaps bad wiring on the HID kit, causing a serious power drain.

I would check battery connectors first ; try to twist them by hand, if they move they are loose...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

That's not right, even with an HID kit. A bunch of us here have HID kits and this is not something I've seen before ; not related to HIDs anyway. A few things come to my mind : loose battery connectors (there are not easy to get on tight), a bad ground somewhere, a defective battery (yeah the second one). Or perhaps bad wiring on the HID kit, causing a serious power drain.

I would check battery connectors first ; try to twist them by hand, if they move they are loose...
Thanks for the input. I don't think it's a fault of the HIDs, but turning them on is what triggers this 100% of the time. I think it's related to a voltage drop or current drop somewhere. Most likely the ECU, the BCM, or the computer in the rear differential, and some sort of protection triggering the turning off of 4x4 and stability control.

I don't think it's the battery terminals. I paid very careful attention to get them on all the way, and to tighten them very well. I knew from reading the battery threads on this forum that they can be tricky and made it a point to make sure I got them on right and tight.
It could be a bad ground. My cherokee was affected by the recall regarding bad ground/crimping on the wiring harness, but supposedly no modification was necessary.

I guess it could be the replacement battery, but voltage is perfect, and there are no excessive drops upon starting.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Thanks for the input. I don't think it's a fault of the HIDs, but turning them on is what triggers this 100% of the time. I think it's related to a voltage drop or current drop somewhere. Most likely the ECU, the BCM, or the computer in the rear differential, and some sort of protection triggering the turning off of 4x4 and stability control.

I don't think it's the battery terminals. I paid very careful attention to get them on all the way, and to tighten them very well. I knew from reading the battery threads on this forum that they can be tricky and made it a point to make sure I got them on right and tight.
It could be a bad ground. My cherokee was affected by the recall regarding bad ground/crimping on the wiring harness, but supposedly no modification was necessary.

I guess it could be the replacement battery, but voltage is perfect, and there are no excessive drops upon starting.
Hmmm. Ok. Terminals should be fine then.

Reason why I'm thinking this is an electrical issue is partly because you also mentionned power steering. When my battery was dying, I was getting weird faults on cold starts (heavy electrical load, obviously) : I was not only getting 4WD temporarily unavailable, I was also getting steering assist messages and, in fact, power steering was not functionning at all, I had to restart the Jeep to get it back. So the 4WD system was definitely not at fault and neither was the electric power steering, it was just system checks going nuts because of a dying battery. All that went away as soon as I installed the new battery.
Can't say what is really going on with yours, but I'm pretty sure it is electrical.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hmmm. Ok. Terminals should be fine then.

Reason why I'm thinking this is an electrical issue is partly because you also mentionned power steering. When my battery was dying, I was getting weird faults on cold starts (heavy electrical load, obviously) : I was not only getting 4WD temporarily unavailable, I was also getting steering assist messages and, in fact, power steering was not functionning at all, I had to restart the Jeep to get it back. So the 4WD system was definitely not at fault and neither was the electric power steering, it was just system checks going nuts because of a dying battery. All that went away as soon as I installed the new battery.
Can't say what is really going on with yours, but I'm pretty sure it is electrical.
Ahh, gotcha.
I totally agree that what's going on with me is electrical.

I think whatever is going on with me, the Cherokee's response is going into some "safe mode" where it reduces power steering (it just feels heavier, but there is still definitely power steering assist), 4x4 is disabled, and stability control goes away as well.
I want to say that transmission shift points also change to be more conservative, but that part I'm not certain about. It doesn't lock me into any gear, it just seems to shift slightly differently from immediately before the error happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts