2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I still have my 2014. The Oil Change warning is coming on, with the red oil light and saying 4% oil useage left. But the oil is up, it's clean and I should have 4,000 km yet till my usual 8,000 km change. Is this maybe because I ignored the last oil change notice I set, did not re-set, and now Bruiser thinks he's about to seize up due to low, dirty oil?

I can't remember how to re-set that oil change indicator. Thought I would re-set it and see if the notices disappear. Better yet, I'd disable it, can I do that?

It can't be right, can it? 4% left when the oil is right up where it should be? And if it is, 4% of what?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like you didn't reset it .The oil change reset doesn't monitor oil level.
Copied from owner manual

Oil Change Reset — If Equipped Your vehicle may be equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message will display in the instrument cluster display for five seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent upon your personal driving style. Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you place the ignition in the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, push and release the OK button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure. Oil Life Reset 1. Without pushing the brake pedal, place the ignition in the ON/RUN mode (do not start the engine). 2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the instrument cluster display. 3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to 100%. Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure 1. Without pushing the brake pedal, place the ignition in the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine). 2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within ten seconds. 3. Without pushing the brake pedal, place the ignition in the OFF/LOCK position. NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. I

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's telling you how much time is left before it's due for an oil change, not how much oil is in the engine. Oil life monitoring systems use data based on your particular driving patterns to estimate when the oil is no longer serviceable and should be changed. When you change the oil you reset it to 100% so it can start the countdown until the next oil change is due.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joeg, I found the instructions, have re-set, will see how it goes.

Hoosier, I hope that's it. I know I did not re-set the last time.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Yep, I still have my 2014. The Oil Change warning is coming on, with the red oil light and saying 4% oil useage left. But the oil is up, it's clean and I should have 4,000 km yet till my usual 8,000 km change. Is this maybe because I ignored the last oil change notice I set, did not re-set, and now Bruiser thinks he's about to seize up due to low, dirty oil?

I can't remember how to re-set that oil change indicator. Thought I would re-set it and see if the notices disappear. Better yet, I'd disable it, can I do that?

It can't be right, can it? 4% left when the oil is right up where it should be? And if it is, 4% of what?
Long time no see !!

Yeah you forgot to reset it last time. As long as you know when you did the last oil change, you can reset it and wait until the next change. The oil life monitor cannot be disabled, just reset, and it doesn't consider oil level or physical oil properties, so you're fine resetting it.

There are some absolute numbers to keep in mind, for oil changes : never go more than 12 months or more than 16 000Km (10 000 miles) between oil changes.

I live a bit further North than you and do mostly small city driving : I can go roughly 12 000Km between oil changes (when the 5% oil life warnings comes on), so you're more than safe doing them at 8 000Km intervals.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did the reset where you go to Accessory, push the brake down and hold OK on the steering wheel. Oil is now sitting on the gauge at good. The little red Aladdin's lamp oil light has not come back on, nor has the 4% notice. But Change Oil Soon is still coming on. This must be the oil change interval which I still have not reset. I've checked the manual and googled and for the life of me cannot remember, find, or figure out how to do that. Which is likely why I didn't do it last time.

Thanks Mark. I have gotten into bird photography in my retirement which has entailed lots of driving down dirty, dusty, muddy roads. I wondered if my oil would get dirty faster but so far it seems fine on 8,000 km changes, still.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Just put the Jeep in RUN, don't start it, don't touch the brake.
Scroll EVIC to show Oil LIfe, push and hold the OK button on the left side of the steering wheel. Done.
Do the same thing to reset the trip odometers and the fuel mileage display.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sanghill. That actually does the same thing as putting it in ACC, hitting the brake and scrolling to Oil Life, then holding OK, which I've done.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Thanks sanghill. That actually does the same thing as putting it in ACC, hitting the brake and scrolling to Oil Life, then holding OK, which I've done.
Hmmm. Not sure I've heard of this before. So your Oil lIfe is back to 100% ? If so, I don't see why you would still get that Change Oil Soon message... because there is no other reset for interval ; when you reset Oil Life, that's it, nothing else to do..
Perhaps others know what's going on ?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, Mark, no, it's more weird than that. Oil Life is back to Good. On the little arch scale it's at the second from far right dot. Why it did not go all the way to the farthest right dot I have no idea. I've set it three times since posting here.

Somewhere in the depths of the EVIC is a setting where you can specify the number of kilometres till your next oil change. You can set it for 3,000 km, or 8,0000 or whatever within certain limits. Since I did not reset this last time and can't find how to do it again I'm making those numbers up. When you reach your set number you get a reminder that your oil needs to be changed soon, only because you told it to change at that mileage. I wonder/suspect that's why the Change Oil Soon message is still coming on?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ha, Mark, no, it's more weird than that. Oil Life is back to Good. On the little arch scale it's at the second from far right dot. Why it did not go all the way to the farthest right dot I have no idea. I've set it three times since posting here.

Somewhere in the depths of the EVIC is a setting where you can specify the number of kilometres till your next oil change. You can set it for 3,000 km, or 8,0000 or whatever within certain limits. Since I did not reset this last time and can't find how to do it again I'm making those numbers up. When you reach your set number you get a reminder that your oil needs to be changed soon, only because you told it to change at that mileage. I wonder/suspect that's why the Change Oil Soon message is still coming on?
Hmmmmmmmmm. Lol. This is the first time I hear of a customizable oil change interval on our Cherokees. I'm pretty sure... it's all automatic, meaning the algorythm does the calculations as to when the oil life nears change status. Al least that's how mine works and I haven't seen a deep setting in EVIC or UConnect... but that doesn't mean it can't exist. I've just gone through the owner's manual to find something on this : nothing, except the automatic oil life system I already know about.

As far as resetting goes : there are two methods and apparently one doesn't work well. The one I use and it always works (resets oil life to 100%) is the method were you put the ignition in RUN (foot Off the brakes) depress the accelerator 3 times in succession and then return ignition to Off. This method is in the manual as well.

If you do come across that deep setting for oil change intervals, please take a pic of it and share ? Thanks...

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Procedure in the manual :

To reset the oil change indicator system (after
performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the
following procedure.
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to the
ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully push the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE
START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the
OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mark_
Don't take offense, I'm just trying to get my Posts count up.
See post #2 above.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Mark_
Don't take offense, I'm just trying to get my Posts count up.
See post #2 above.
No offense taken. Yep there it is, I missed it. Possible that @Gurgle needs to perform this again, if already done.

Now get back to work on that post count :p (y)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Change Oil Soon message is gone. The Oil Life gauge says 100% but still has the dot on the second from right, not all the way to the right.

AND, I have a horrible feeling I may have been remembering to way back over six years ago on the Set Oil Change Interval thing when I could do it on my 2003 Grand Cherokee. Early onset dementia? As long as I remember what to do at STOP signs I guess I'm ok. :oops:

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
The Change Oil Soon message is gone. The Oil Life gauge says 100% but still has the dot on the second from right, not all the way to the right.

AND, I have a horrible feeling I may have been remembering to way back over six years ago on the Set Oil Change Interval thing when I could do it on my 2003 Grand Cherokee. Early onset dementia? As long as I remember what to do at STOP signs I guess I'm ok. :oops:
Hahaha... no worries ;)

Just curious : can you show us a pic of that dot please ? Thx.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That "dot" corresponds to the page that you are on in the EVIC. Oil life is the next to last page. If you move to battery voltage, the dot will be all the way to the right. If you go to tire pressure, the dot is all the way to the left.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That "dot" corresponds to the page that you are on in the EVIC. Oil life is the next to last page. If you move to battery voltage, the dot will be all the way to the right. If you go to tire pressure, the dot is all the way to the left.
Well how about that. You are right. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts