2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Hitchgate solo and uses a aftermarket 3rd brake light in the hub? Where do you connect it electrically? Can I use the trailer harness to power the 3rd brake light and light a relocated liscense plate holder? Anyone have a suggestion on where to get that?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Anyone have a Hitchgate solo and uses a aftermarket 3rd brake light in the hub? Where do you connect it electrically? Can I use the trailer harness to power the 3rd brake light and light a relocated liscense plate holder? Anyone have a suggestion on where to get that?
I don't have a third brake light, but I do have the licence plate light and the cables for my backup camera routed (mostly) through the hitchgate. The license plate lights are hooked into the trailer hitch harness up behind the bumper and I see no reason you could't do the same for the brake light. It's kinda hard to reach, but totally doable with a little patience.

Showing the routing of the license plate light wires:

An overview of things (and a peek into my camping setup :)). The green line shows the routing of the license plate light, yellow line shows the backup camera wire routing. The routing is on the outside between the locking pin and the "inner" square tube, and is fished out inside the 2" receiver - which means I can't use it; if that's important to you, you could relatively easily have the wires come out of the back side (most forward facing) of the square tube.
One thing to note if you fit the brake light: Make sure you have a connector so you don't have to cut the wire when you need the spare...

A better look at where my backup camera is (and a chance to show off the muddy rig...):

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the pics. Nice setup. Like the setup in the rear. I didn't know you could relocate the camera. You have any info on how to do that? Or did you get a second one for that and leave the original in place so you can connect it when your not using the Hitchgate?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I didn't know you could relocate the camera. You have any info on how to do that? Or did you get a second one for that and leave the original in place so you can connect it when your not using the Hitchgate?
My KL didn't come with a camera. But since my aftermarket camera is connected to the Uconnect the same was an OEM camera would be (that took some effort but in the end it worked) the difference is really academic.

I never remove the tire carrier, but if I did I'd definitely put in either a second aftermarket or an OEM camera and simply add a small manual coax switch to select between one or the other.

I can highly recommend the Parkvision 180 camera. https://www.amazon.com/PARKVISION-Universal-180°Wide-Multiview-Standard/dp/B07K2PKT8L. The wide view and the different modes makes it extremely versatile.

You'll need an extender cable to make the routing through the tire carrier as easy as possible, and as a bonus you also get two waterproof disconnect points so you can remove the camera (which is necessary to remove the spare wheel) and the tire carrier itself. https://www.amazon.com/PARKVISION-Connector-Extension-180°Multiview-Camera/dp/B07K23VYSN.

And you'll need a keyboard controller to do the initial programming of the camera angles, modes, and guidelines.

I am in no way associated with Parkvision or the seller on Amazon; I just happen to like the product so much I bought four of them. One for the KL, two for another car (front and rear cameras), and a spare in case one breaks after Parkvision doesn't make them anymore...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Being able to switch between the OEM via a quick connect is what I had in mind. Thank for the reco.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My KL didn't come with a camera. But since my aftermarket camera is connected to the Uconnect the same was an OEM camera would be (that took some effort but in the end it worked) the difference is really academic.

I never remove the tire carrier, but if I did I'd definitely put in either a second aftermarket or an OEM camera and simply add a small manual coax switch to select between one or the other.

I can highly recommend the Parkvision 180 camera. https://www.amazon.com/PARKVISION-Universal-180°Wide-Multiview-Standard/dp/B07K2PKT8L. The wide view and the different modes makes it extremely versatile.

You'll need an extender cable to make the routing through the tire carrier as easy as possible, and as a bonus you also get two waterproof disconnect points so you can remove the camera (which is necessary to remove the spare wheel) and the tire carrier itself. https://www.amazon.com/PARKVISION-Connector-Extension-180°Multiview-Camera/dp/B07K23VYSN.

And you'll need a keyboard controller to do the initial programming of the camera angles, modes, and guidelines.

I am in no way associated with Parkvision or the seller on Amazon; I just happen to like the product so much I bought four of them. One for the KL, two for another car (front and rear cameras), and a spare in case one breaks after Parkvision doesn't make them anymore...
How did you get the factory stereo to display the camera signal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts