2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the title is self explanatory but i was on the v6 cherokee performance page and came the lightweight crank pulley and it wasnt that expensive so i was wondering if anyone has installed this product can tell me if this has any benefits or hp gains

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one has........but what does gain power is A custom tune for the engine, its been clearly established.
simply not looking to rip out my ecu and spend over 1k for a 50hp gain but just have an cai and somethin else like the crank pulley, im well aware of that also

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
What would that be like, the equivalent of ditching the back seat to shed a hundred or so pounds of weight???🤔😎

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
I'm the the group.......I was right from the beginning. All i'm telling you as the ONLY person who drives tuned cherokees, go ahead and put your money in to that, but all the bolt ons in the world only do so much. My 2016 TH with all the bolt on mods but running a stock tune, was still slower than a TH with only a tune......that's the reality. I know your vehicle is leased and you can't modify the PCM but facts are facts. You will not gain anything meaningful or measurable with a pulley. I would only do a pulley when I had all other mods (including tune) done first. Otherwise not really much of a point

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
578 Posts
I used to do balancing work and then built balancing machines. I would not change the pulley , sometimes manufacturers count on that weight when balancing the reciprocating mass of the crank , pistons , rings and wrist pins. Even with a really good balance of components there are different harmonics and frequencies at different rpms and that mass can help to nullify any effect those can have on possible vibration issues.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Perhaps a Torque Tube from RPM Motorsports can give you the perceived increase in power you are seeking. While it does not necessarily "add power", it does change the character of the v6 (especially during initial acceleration). It can also slightly improve fuel economy.

Reactions: Tyler-98-W68

·
Registered
45 Posts
The RPM torque tube does add power (specifically low end torque) and would be a much better and cheaper option.
You know if this would void any warranties? Pretty much want to keep the stock intake and put a K&N filter in with a torque tube.

·
Registered
222 Posts
well the title is self explanatory but i was on the v6 cherokee performance page and came the lightweight crank pulley and it wasnt that expensive so i was wondering if anyone has installed this product can tell me if this has any benefits or hp gains
Me too , I always want more especially if it’s not expensive.! I’ll look into it! Hope to hear from other Th owners! Happy Jeeping 😃
No one has........but what does gain power is A custom tune for the engine, its been clearly established.
what gains does custom tune do for you? And about how much is it? Thanks,new things keep coming up for the th ! Y’all are awesome!! Happy Jeeping 😃

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
Me too , I always want more especially if it’s not expensive.! I’ll look into it! Hope to hear from other Th owners! Happy Jeeping 😃

what gains does custom tune do for you? And about how much is it? Thanks,new things keep coming up for the th ! Y’all are awesome!! Happy Jeeping 😃

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
833 Posts
Some time ago I researched the lightweight pulley theory and found far too many issues with balance and harmonics (like osimj refers to) and decided the risk vs. reward was just not there.

I found alternatives and I am pretty satisfied with them, although I doubt no one here has more experience with engine tuning than Tyler and he has a lot of data to support that with the V6 engine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A more practical direction to go rather than lightweight harmonic balancer would be larger pulleys on accessories such as aircon compressor, alternator and water pump - to reduce parasitic loads. Larger pulleys mean slower rotation of the accessories tho so attention needs to be paid to implications there. Gains would be I'm fairly sure very small - but almost certainly more than lightening the balancer - ie. in real terms neither is likely to be actually worthwhile.

I fitted a 1.5" larger diameter pulley to the alternator on my last car - but not for performance reasons - it was because the original pulley was tiny - about 2.5" - and even tho multi-V it used to slip and squeal often (poor design of the accessories layout - ie. as well as being so small, that pulley also only had about 1/3 of it's circumference engaged by the belt). The new pulley fixed the issue (improved mech advantage to the belt + longer physical contact footprint with the belt) - AND it all seemed to still work fine - ie. the alternator did still work fine with the larger pulley (I didn't end up with flat battery).

·
Registered
222 Posts
simply not looking to rip out my ecu and spend over 1k for a 50hp gain but just have an cai and somethin else like the crank pulley, im well aware of that also
If it looks good, sounds good, and even if it adds a little, it’s still something! Keep on adding on. Happy Jeeping 😃
A more practical direction to go rather than lightweight harmonic balancer would be larger pulleys on accessories such as aircon compressor, alternator and water pump - to reduce parasitic loads. Larger pulleys mean slower rotation of the accessories tho so attention needs to be paid to implications there. Gains would be I'm fairly sure very small - but almost certainly more than lightening the balancer - ie. in real terms neither is likely to be actually worthwhile.

I fitted a 1.5" larger diameter pulley to the alternator on my last car - but not for performance reasons - it was because the original pulley was tiny - about 2.5" - and even tho multi-V it used to slip and squeal often (poor design of the accessories layout - ie. as well as being so small, that pulley also only had about 1/3 of it's circumference engaged by the belt). The new pulley fixed the issue (improved mech advantage to the belt + longer physical contact footprint with the belt) - AND it all seemed to still work fine - ie. the alternator did still work fine with the larger pulley (I didn't end up with flat battery).
you have saved some jeepers time and money! Thanks for you’re knowledge!Happy Jeeping 😃

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm the the group.......I was right from the beginning. All i'm telling you as the ONLY person who drives tuned cherokees, go ahead and put your money in to that, but all the bolt ons in the world only do so much. My 2016 TH with all the bolt on mods but running a stock tune, was still slower than a TH with only a tune......that's the reality. I know your vehicle is leased and you can't modify the PCM but facts are facts. You will not gain anything meaningful or measurable with a pulley. I would only do a pulley when I had all other mods (including tune) done first. Otherwise not really much of a point
always a pleasure hearing and talking to you!👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts