201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks FireDawg77 - yeah I gathered it was a "powerchip" type thing rather than a "proper" tune/r as such - and again yeah, no doubt we'll all be thoroughly reminded of the difference. I don't have a problem using a plug in powerchip type option as long as it does help - and they CAN sometimes do that as ur experience with this seems to indicate. On my previous car the situation was a kind of hybrid situation where i was using a tuning program called Tunerpro R/T with ECU definitions developed by enthusiasts that identified and gave access to pretty much all of the useful tables and settings - then the way that was used was by putting the customised settings into a module that plugged into the ECU and over-rode the default tables already in the ECU.

EDIT: OK, had a look at the site and I have to say I'd normally call Snakeoil on this kind of product - BUT - in my opinion first hand experience is worth a lot, so I might well grab one and try it out on the basis a little bit of noticeable improvement for a couple hundred bucks is well worth while as a stopgap to eventually getting a full proper tune. I'll point here to the fact that the Sprint Booster absolutely transforms our TH to the point where if the one we have dies and they're no longer available we will probably sell the car - my wife will flatly refuse to drive it any more for a start!!....

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Check your facts on this. I have a tuner on my 2020 Cherokee 3.2
I"ve check the facts and the facts are.
1. You have a 2020 Cherokee
2. All FCA vehicles since MY2015 have locked PCMs and MY2018+ Require s security module bypass in order to use the OBD2 port for anything other than READING data
3. You having a 2020 Cherokee 3.2 means your PCM is locked.
4. A locked PCM means ZERO tuning on FCA vehicles.

not once has the tuner I use left any sign or evidence of its use
That's because is does jack ****. You wasted your money. A "piggyback" "tuner" does absolutely NOTHING on the KL platform.

It's actually a performance chip as opposed to a computer/tuner
You are right about the "chip" part but guess what, this goes back to the thing I mentioned about the PCM being locked.
You have a MY2020 you mentioned NOTHING about requiring a security module bypass. So since you don't have a security module bypass, this "chip" is doing nothing because it can't send any data upstream of the OBD2 port.

The "tuners" allow for more precise control over the ECU mapping, but if you don't truly know the limits and ranges of your specific vehicle yourself (like me who hasn't really known the limits of my 2020 Cherokee or the wrangler and GC I owned previously) , you aren't going to be able to achieve max performance
It's a pentastar engine, lots of people tune them. I had tuned 3.2s, still have the one. The reason an actual tuner (HP Tuners being the only aftermarket tuning company that supports 2014-2018 NOT 2019+) is because it actually changes every aspect of the PCM which is required to get safe and maximum performance. Example VVT cam tuning profiles can't be changed in a "chip" but they can with HP tuners meaning not using HP tuners means you can't get maximum performance.

I prefer the chips myself because they come already programmed with your specific vehicles info and they "learn" the more you drive with them installed what your individual driving habits are and then map the ECU combining how you drive and the vehicle limits and ranges giving you the best settings for your vehicle and you as it's driver.
They aren't preprogrammed with anything, you prefer it because you don't have enough knowledge to know that even if there was a proper "chip" they are still junk. Example, Diablo sport sells "Canned" tunes for multiple vehicles and they are down right junk and dangerous. Every engine is different and a base "canned" tune can't account for small variables in engines. So circling back, "chips" suck even when they do actually work but again in this application they don't work. As for the "learning" part. It's a speed density system, thats why when you add some air flow mods ( I did ALL of them available) the computer can compensate up to a certain point before check engine lights come on.

I've purchased the Viper X3 for all three of my vehicles I've had over the past 10 years now and have several guys I work with who have also been using them for 10 or even more years. That's actually how I got turned on to them.
Surely then you can give concrete evidence like baseline performance measures and then after installing the chips?

You'll see some sites that claim they don't work or that they can "damage the engine", but 1. Take a look at the pics I've included as well, you'll find just as many or even more posts and websites who say chips do work and even that the engine "issues" some people had claimed the chip being at fault, that the issues they were having were not possible to be caused by a chip.
Yeah i'm one of those people, see above reasons for why they don't work and specifically on this platform. I'm also the guy that has concrete before and after performance numbers on multiple KL cherokees, where are your numbers?

I simply at this point go with the facts and knowledge I have accumulated first hand over 10 years now and am told by people I've know for 20 years tell me it works for them.
Based on your "facts" so far there are nothing more than fabricated in your mind and are an opinion NOTHING else. I've had KL's for almost 8 years and dealt with the tuning aspect of them for 3 years, you saying 20 years this and 1 years that doesn't make you any more credible.

Currently I've got a K&N CAI with an RPM Motorsports Torque Tube as well as a custom performance exhaust installed on my 2020 KL 3.2, but the chip went in place first, actually less than a week after I drove the Jeep off the lot.
The only factual piece of information you've posted so far, with 1 exception. Your "performance" exhaust has given you ZERO performance improvement because nothing you change on the exhaust downstream of the flex pipe does anything because the greatest restriction is forward of the flex pipe.

I haven't dyno'd it since adding the CAI & exhaust, but I did have it dyno'd a month after I purchased the vehicle, with & without the chip.
THIS SAYS IT ALL, YOU HAVE NO DATA AND NO BASELINE. If you did you would post a dyno sheet proving it was actually your vehicle with all the information to prove it.

There is NO WAY you had 256hp, because the dyno's available (done by AFE and K&N) show at most 225 awhp. So basically you are saying that on a vehicle with 271hp you only lost 15hp through the drivetrain on an AWD vehicle? Not possible.

WITH the chip, and no other mods, it brought me up to 292HP at the wheels. Not to mention it's definitely noticeable when driving.
There is no way you make 292awhp, if you did that would mean your engine would be making close to 400hp at the crank. Again I find this so comical that you actually would take time to embarrass yourself and post all this garbage with zero data to back it up.

Others again on here will probably all be chiming in going off things they read online from people who have never personally even used a chip.
Yeah that would be me because I am the ONLY person who has tuned cherokees got baseline performance data and performance data after modifications on more than one cherokee. Oh yeah and I have a 2021 Cherokee 3.2 and guess what HP Tuners doesn't even support it so I absolutely know exactly what i'm talking about.

To repeat someone from earlier, this post most likely won't be well received, but we're all grown ups here and if anything I just stated hurts anyone's feelings, you're a grown man, deal with it
You won't receive my comments well because i've proven you wrong about 99 different ways, but it was some good entertainment.

TLDR, your 99$ performance chip is a joke just like everything you posted. I can sum it up even quicker.

Plug in performance chips can't give any performance (for the reasons I mentioned above) AND a little something called PCM and TCM torque management. But i'm sure you probably don't understand what that is either.

Well this was fun I wonder what other surprises and things i'll learn about cherokee performance today.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
I knew that was coming, next breaker go ahead...🤣😂😎

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Thanks FireDawg77 - yeah I gathered it was a "powerchip" type thing rather than a "proper" tune/r as such - and again yeah, no doubt we'll all be thoroughly reminded of the difference. I don't have a problem using a plug in powerchip type option as long as it does help - and they CAN sometimes do that as ur experience with this seems to indicate.
Did I miss something where he actually proved the BS he posted actually worked. I posted facts, reality and data about how it doesn't work but you are more inclined to believe him?

On my previous car the situation was a kind of hybrid situation where i was using a tuning program called Tunerpro R/T with ECU definitions developed by enthusiasts that identified and gave access to pretty much all of the useful tables and settings - then the way that was used was by putting the customised settings into a module that plugged into the ECU and over-rode the default tables already in the ECU.
There can be ZERO comparison to other vehicles especially other FCA vehicles because the tuning on the KL platform (Chrysler 200 UF platform) is completely unique and very restrictive vs other vehicles.

EDIT: OK, had a look at the site and I have to say I'd normally call Snakeoil on this kind of product - BUT - in my opinion first hand experience is worth a lot, so I might well grab one and try it out on the basis a little bit of noticeable improvement for a couple hundred bucks is well worth while as a stopgap to eventually getting a full proper tune. I'll point here to the fact that the Sprint Booster absolutely transforms our TH to the point where if the one we have dies and they're no longer available we will probably sell the car - my wife will flatly refuse to drive it any more for a start!!....
That would be a huge waste of money. $100 = 2 Credit from HP tuners for tuning the PCM. So you could throw your money away on this, find it doesn't work and be $100 behind the game when it comes to getting THE ONLY DEVICE THAT WILL WORK WITH CHEROKEE KLs 2014-2018, and that being the HP Tuners MPVI2 + 2 Credits. That total cost is $400

The thing is you won't have any baseline data to compare to see if the device even works. Yes you a 2014 yes the PCM is unlocked but it still won't do anything because it's not allowing any type of access to the PCM to change any values. So if you had some baseline data (1/4 times ect) or logged extensively engine timing and other parameters and presented that data FIRST before installing the device and then monitoring and logging the EXACT situations with the device plugged in, something might be believable but again I'm not sure how more clear I have to be that. I'm the one who deals with these vehicles from a performance aspect, have posted over and over and OVER how they can be tuned what the limitations are, but please make me look like an idiot by proving a $99 piece of plastic with some LEDs somehow manages to do something a Company like HP Tuners couldn't figure out and had to charge way more money.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
Did I miss something where he actually proved the BS he posted actually worked.
I don't think so!!! Locked PCM=Powerchip doesn't do anything. I'm more interested in those AWHP numbers, like you said, that thing must be putting out like 400hp at the crank...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
339 Posts
Again, yep I'm inclined to be VERY sceptical about the claim that this OBD Plugin type thing could be doing anything - indeed backed by what's by any gauge solid technical info explaining why it can't do anything - but the guy is stating he's seen some kind of effect and I'll say again that first hand experience (if it's honestly stated) means a whole lot. He's otherwise flatout lying.

Those power figures are definitely clearly not correct so that's a big hit in terms of credibility for sure...

As far as the technical info goes, I've been told the Sprint Booster plugged into my TH does nothing useful - when in fact it transforms the vehicle - and I've had assertions thrown at me based on technical expertise that are flatout INCORRECT (by people who haven't actually used / tested the device) - ie. claims it just opens to 100% at half pedal etc. which are WRONG - it's fully proportional and clearly more sophisticated than the armchair experts realise or are willing to believe ("the eyes are useless, when the mind is blind")

Having said that, I'm noticing the "Sprint Boost" term there in the title of this device which in the first instance bothers me because there's a proper and different / unassociated device actually called "Sprint Booster" so someone using such a similar name or terminology the way these Viper people are doesn't come across as particularly honest to me - and does the use of that term mean this thing is just a pedal signal conditioner? (albeit somehow achieved thru the OBD port??). If the latter then that's the explanation why the guy feels an improvement in performance - because improving pedal response WILL give an improvement in seat of the pants performance perception.

A final thought as well: yes locked PCM means you can't alter the program, but does it stop modification or conditioning of sensor signals? - which is what I've generally understood plugins to normally do anyway. Even if that's all the plugin does - ie. fools the "locked" ecu into thinking the coolant and/or inlet air temps are very low so richening mixture and bumping up the timing - and that yields a bit of extra grunt and improves the feel of the drive - then surely mission accomplished?.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
but the guy is stating he's seen some kind of effect and I'll say again that first hand experience (if it's honestly stated) means a whole lot. He's otherwise flatout lying.
If I said my cherokee made 500hp because I said it did would that make it more credible because it's me that is saying it, at least in the past i've actually produced data/numbers/figures to support exactly what i've said. This guy has said NOTHING and proved NOTHING.

As far as the technical info goes, I've been told the Sprint Booster plugged into my TH does nothing useful - when in fact it transforms the vehicle - and I've had assertions thrown at me based on technical expertise that are flatout INCORRECT (by people who haven't actually used / tested the device) - ie. claims it just opens to 100% at half pedal etc. which are WRONG - it's fully proportional and clearly more sophisticated than the armchair experts realise or are willing to believe ("the eyes are useless, when the mind is blind")
Well it doesn't do anything useful because pushing the gas pedal down farther/faster is all its doing. It makes zero additional power and is simply "tricking" the vehicle into thinking the gas pedal is being pushed down farther than it is. That's not overly technical but its the cold hard truth. When people want to go fast they go wide open throttle and those pedal boosters don't change any of that.

A final thought as well: yes locked PCM means you can't alter the program, but does it stop modification or conditioning of sensor signals?
Yes it does stop modification of those signals, the second it would try to do anything through the OBD2 port it would throw about 9 million CEL's and your dashboard would light up like a christmas tree. That's exactly what happens during a PCM/TCM reprogram with HP Tuners. Now some piggyback tuners splice in to the MAP sensor or other things in the engine bay and attempt to manipulate signals, but again they still don't work because the PCM/TCM torque management values are hard coded and won't change so when values higher than are what's programmed into the PCM/TCM are observed the engine dials back power to bring them back to stock levels.

Even if that's all the plugin does - ie. fools the "locked" ecu into thinking the coolant and/or inlet air temps are very low so richening mixture and bumping up the timing - and that yields a bit of extra grunt and improves the feel of the drive - then surely mission accomplished?.
Not mission accomplished because of my previous answer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tyler the Sprint Booster DOESN'T work as you describe - THAT's my point about all your so called technical "expertise" - for someone so knowledgeable ur a pretty ignorant person matey.

There's also some crossed purpose here with regard to what most of us define as "improved performance" and what I guess IS technically improved performance - ie. my Sprint Booster DOESN'T improve the final total performance - ie. in terms of maximum power etc. (of COURSE it doesn't - as it doesn't change the engine tune) - BUT - it sure as heck improves everyday driving performance in terms of faster takeoff and improved response etc. - which makes the car FEEL like it's got about 40hp more under ur foot. That's a FACT.

·
Registered
803 Posts
It's also a FACT that by changing my aggressiveness with my foot on the gas pedal I can do the same thing the sprint booster does. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
No - I've driven my TH with Sprint Booster and without it - and no, I CAN'T achieve the same thing with how aggressive I am with my foot.

Case 1: ME with EXPERIENCE of driving with Sprint Booster AND without Sprint Booster = relevant real life experience.
Case 2: Lindy with only experience driving without Sprint Booster = theoretical talking out of a rse.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I know what ur saying Flybynightcru and would normally be yep I agree entirely, BUT my counterpoint is this business with the Sprint Booster - ie. it keeps being poo pooed by armchair experts who DON'T HAVE the real life experience actually using it that I have - and I'll say again it does something totally different to just jumping on the pedal harder - and it DOES NOT simply make 100% throttle at 50% pedal etc. (and THAT's a FACT) - it quite literally transforms the driving experience - in all good ways. I didn't actually mention SB to push it or defend it tho - but only in the context of what Firedawg has claimed such that I'm simply saying that until I've actually plugged one of those things in and seen for myself what the result is I'm not so quick to just dismiss what someone's stating they've EXPERIENCED - HOWEVER - yes absolutely there are some things that ARE very suspicious about it, from the way they describe it to the claimed dyno figures clearly being all kinds of wrong... Bulls hit walks and experience talks. Having knowledge doesn't make someone smart, either...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Tyler the Sprint Booster DOESN'T work as you describe
Right, so the spring booster doesn't get plugged in to the gas pedal wire? Weird because all the install videos show doing that, same process as a pedal commander....

and no, I CAN'T achieve the same thing with how aggressive I am with my foot.
Actually you can, all the device is doing is telling the PCM you are pushing the gas pedal down farther than you actually are

for someone so knowledgeable ur a pretty ignorant person matey.
Thanks for the compliment, facts and data are my specialty

Case 1: ME with EXPERIENCE of driving with Sprint Booster AND without Sprint Booster = relevant real life experience.
Case 2: Lindy with only experience driving without Sprint Booster = theoretical talking out of a rse.
relevant real life experience.

Subjective experience and just because you think the vehicle feels faster and responds different with a sprint booster doesn't mean you should be taken as gospel because again i've alreadyproved you wrong.

Your sprint booster, pedal commander or whatever the stupid bullshit devices are do 1 thing and 1 thing only and that is fool the PCM into thinking you are pushing the pedal down farther. If they weren't why are the being plugged into the gas pedal? What else do they do? If it was changing things around in more real time like you describe you'd be getting tons of check engines lights and your dash would light up like a christmas tree, that's why people report problems with these devices when the settings are changed on the fly.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I never said it wasn't plugged into the pedal cable - quite the contrary, that's EXACTLY how it works. And again Tyler you're flatout wrong about how it operates.

·
Registered
339 Posts
And Tyler, this one shud REALLY make sense to you (I'm not involved in drag stuff and 1/4 mile times myself).

·
Registered
339 Posts
And Tyler the only thing you PROVE to me on this forum is that you're what we Aussies call a FIGJAMer - F--k I'm Good Just Ask Me...

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Sorry a throttle modulation device like that doesn't make a vehicle faster, very simple to explain.

When you push the pedal ALL the way down, also known as WOT Wide Open throttle. Its wide open throttle nothing more it can't give any more throttle. So you don't gain anything in 0-60 1/4 mile nothing as the vehicle is already at WOT when launching.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Duh - of course SB isn't going to make maximum performance from already WOT improve - I have never said or implied that it can do that (you got problems with comprehension there sport? - did this show up in school at all?) - but from idle up to WOT it sure as heck does better at getting the power down than the factory throttle programming - and THAT's what the guy is doing there - ie. showing the difference the SB makes by comparison to factory throttle behaviour - in terms of what it DOES do which is make throttle response more direct and lively.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's also a FACT that by changing my aggressiveness with my foot on the gas pedal I can do the same thing the sprint booster does. :rolleyes:

:sneaky::whistle:

201 - 220 of 247 Posts