• Yes, I definitely would get a tuner for my 3.2

Votes: 142 64.5%
  • No, I'm being stock

Votes: 78 35.5%
181 - 200 of 247 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
I have a trinity tuner from my silverado. I tried it on the Cherokee, but it couldn’t communicate to the ecm. Wife wanted me to sell the tuner! Hahahahaha silly woman, it’s like asking me to sell my guns!
Not surprising that it wouldn't work with the cherokee if it was for a silverado. What year is your Cherokee?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not surprising that it wouldn't work with the cherokee if it was for a silverado. What year is your Cherokee?
Well I reset the tuner which means its unlocked and ready for a new vehicle. The truck is back to stock and sold. My Cherokee is 2014. Diablosport doesn't have the Cherokee listed anyway for a tune. Only the grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought the rpm-motorsports tune program for the 14 Cherokee. In 8-10 days ill be receiving it. Excited to open this puppy up because the torque management and shifting needs improvement.

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
Well I went ahead and bought the rpm-motorsports tune program for the 14 Cherokee. In 8-10 days ill be receiving it. Excited to open this puppy up because the torque management and shifting needs improvement.
You beat me to the punch to test this out, let me know how it works and if its good i'll grab one for my 2014

·
Registered
34 Posts
You beat me to the punch to test this out, let me know how it works and if its good i'll grab one for my 2014
Hey Tyler for sure man ill let you know how it goes. they told me 8-12 business days to get the equipment. Thursday will be 12 business days I better get it soon lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Tyler for sure man ill let you know how it goes. they told me 8-12 business days to get the equipment. Thursday will be 12 business days I better get it soon lol.
I saw three tuners on there which one did you buy?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honestly don't think they can/would do this. It is illegal for a dealership to void your warranty based solely on the fact that you have installed an aftermarket product. The dealership must prove in a court of law that an aftermarket product has decisively caused the damage to the vehicle under warranty. As a precaution, always remove the tuning before going to a dealer for service.

For information regarding denial of warranty coverage, review the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.
You are correct on the vehicle warranty. Extended warranties, however, are service contracts by legal definition. They can and will void your service contract for installing aftermarket performance parts. Even a CAI sold by Mopar will void a service contract.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ummm - it's been a bit more than 12 days... - how did this go??

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
It went like **** and didn't happen.....you'd think if it did happen someone would have posted about it.......I know someone that did.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It went like **** and didn't happen.....you'd think if it did happen someone would have posted about it.......I know someone that did.

Haha - figured it was pretty much the case - thanks for taking time to clarify / confirm :cool:

- Im keen to go proper tune route but not so keen on buggering about to do it - so yeah, scrounging about for simple plug and play options - ie. simple way of getting a decent legit unmodified KL tune into my machine....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bingo.

There is even a fuel efficiency map on most of their tuners.

No one is talking about turning the Cherokee into a performance vehicle. But eeking out a bit more hp/tq could help off roaders with their trail hawks...or perk up the vehicles in the lower 3 gears.

Like I said, when I put a tune on stock tune on my challenger I actually got a little better performance AND better mpg.

I have had my custom tune on my car for over 3 years now and never had any issues.

But whatever, its sad to see such a lack of support.
U have my support haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bingo.

There is even a fuel efficiency map on most of their tuners.

No one is talking about turning the Cherokee into a performance vehicle. But eeking out a bit more hp/tq could help off roaders with their trail hawks...or perk up the vehicles in the lower 3 gears.

Like I said, when I put a tune on stock tune on my challenger I actually got a little better performance AND better mpg.

I have had my custom tune on my car for over 3 years now and never had any issues.

But whatever, its sad to see such a lack of support.
I support greatly

·
Premium Member
3,927 Posts
The only way anyone is going to get a tune on a 2019 is if someone steps up, invests about $1000 and tries to get tuning working like I did. HP tuners said only the 2014 Cherokee 3.2 was supported, but the 2016 did work. So again less talk more doing is the only way its going to happen for the 2019+ models

·
Registered
2020 4x4 3.2L/K&N[RPM] CAI/S3 Chip/Custom Exh/2" Lift/Front Strut Bar/Cust Ext Paint:Vinyl Mods
12 Posts
Even with the stock tune restored traces of the tuner programming/changes can still be found. At least for a time.
Check your facts on this. I have a tuner on my 2020 Cherokee 3.2 that I've been running basically the entire year since I purchased. Each oil change I remove prior to arriving at the dealership (like 15 or 20 min prior). I have gotten to know a lot of the guys in the service dept over the years so I literally hang out next to my vehicle and bullshit with the mechanics and technicians while they do their thing. And every oilchange they also must perform a complete bumper to bumper vehicle inspection at which time I literally watch them hook up to the ECU to check for any issues. All 4 times I've been there this year, not once has the tuner I use left any sign or evidence of its use. So there most definitely are tuners available that leave no evidence behind immediately after unplugging.

Also for all the people crying about there warranties;

First off all why are you on a forum to begin with that literally is 98% about modifications if you're too scared to make modifications?

Secondly if you actually looked at the mopar and Jeep warranty documents, or at least spoke to the dealership about it, you'd know that there are a ton of mods you can do immediately off the lot that in no way affect your warranty. There literally are a ton of brands and perfomance modification products that are mopar approved. Meaning they can be added to your vehicle without mopar giving a crap that it is there as long as it's properly installed.

Tuners themselves I'm not honestly sure if any are mopar approved parts, but again, 4x at the dealership for my warranty required services in exactly a years time, and they have no clue I've been using mine.

To repeat someone from earlier, this post most likely won't be well received, but we're all grown ups here and if anything I just stated hurts anyone's feelings, you're a grown man, deal with it

·
Registered
339 Posts
FireDawg77 - what tuner are you using??

·
Registered
2020 4x4 3.2L/K&N[RPM] CAI/S3 Chip/Custom Exh/2" Lift/Front Strut Bar/Cust Ext Paint:Vinyl Mods
12 Posts
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Circle
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Electric blue
Font Screenshot Web page Software Multimedia
FireDawg77 - what tuner are you using??
It's actually a performance chip as opposed to a computer/tuner. I refer to them pretty much as the same. The "tuners" allow for more precise control over the ECU mapping, but if you don't truly know the limits and ranges of your specific vehicle yourself (like me who hasn't really known the limits of my 2020 Cherokee or the wrangler and GC I owned previously) , you aren't going to be able to achieve max performance. I prefer the chips myself because they come already programmed with your specific vehicles info and they "learn" the more you drive with them installed what your individual driving habits are and then map the ECU combining how you drive and the vehicle limits and ranges giving you the best settings for your vehicle and you as it's driver.

I've purchased the Viper X3 for all three of my vehicles I've had over the past 10 years now and have several guys I work with who have also been using them for 10 or even more years. That's actually how I got turned on to them.

You'll see some sites that claim they don't work or that they can "damage the engine", but 1. Take a look at the pics I've included as well, you'll find just as many or even more posts and websites who say chips do work and even that the engine "issues" some people had claimed the chip being at fault, that the issues they were having were not possible to be caused by a chip.

I simply at this point go with the facts and knowledge I have accumulated first hand over 10 years now and am told by people I've know for 20 years tell me it works for them.

Currently I've got a K&N CAI with an RPM Motorsports Torque Tube as well as a custom performance exhaust installed on my 2020 KL 3.2, but the chip went in place first, actually less than a week after I drove the Jeep off the lot.

I haven't dyno'd it since adding the CAI & exhaust, but I did have it dyno'd a month after I purchased the vehicle, with & without the chip.

Without the chip, I was roughly 256HP at the wheels.

WITH the chip, and no other mods, it brought me up to 292HP at the wheels. Not to mention it's definitely noticeable when driving.

Others again on here will probably all be chiming in going off things they read online from people who have never personally even used a chip.

I simply go by the facts and knowledge I have by 10 years of first hand knowledge

Any mod that is out on the market just like everything else in this world, people will have differing opinions on.

But again, lol my not simply an opinion, it's 10 years of first hand knowledge

181 - 200 of 247 Posts