Votes: 142 64.5%
  • No, I'm being stock

Votes: 78 35.5%
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to gauge interest in owners with the 3.2 as whether or not you would want the option of a tuner like a diablosport?

If Interest is high then I think we can get diablo on board with coming out for tunes for our cars.

I use their tuner on my Challenger and prior to getting a custom tune, the canned tune opened up the engine AND delivered better mpg.

So, lets be loud and show them we want to unlock the potential of our engines!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Probably not me. Wouldn't want to risk the warranty.

Jethro1984

·
Registered
457 Posts
Um, what's a tuner?

Reactions: jkolker

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love tuning and have pretty extensive experience tuning my own cars - Subaru Legacy GT (stock 2.5L 390whp) and Shelby GT (stock 4.6L 590whp). But this Cherokee 3.2L? Meh. Not too interested but I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I'm sure there is something to gain with a simple stage 1 tune, but I'm guessing on the order of 10whp at most and to tune fuel accurately (for the most potential and mileage increase) would require a WB02. Someone would need to look into whether there is a flash counter or any other flag which would show the ecu has been flashed also for warranty concerns.

This just is in no way a performance vehicle so I'd be surprised if there was much interest. Is the 3.2L being used in anything else?

·
Administrator
7,469 Posts
Nope, it's got all I need, thanks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Maybee down the road when it is not so important as my DD. Right now it does the job it needs to do very well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Need a "maybe" button on the poll.

Reactions: madchemist24

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my daily driver and I would still tune it eventually. I can't help it.

I am not familiar with Diablo, but I assume you can switch maps? Performance map on 93 octane and efficiency map on 87, for example?

Coupled with cold-air intake and exhaust mods, you could see 25-30 HP total on 93 octane and 1-2 better MPG.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is my daily driver and I would still tune it eventually. I can't help it.

I am not familiar with Diablo, but I assume you can switch maps? Performance map on 93 octane and efficiency map on 87, for example?

Coupled with cold-air intake and exhaust mods, you could see 25-30 HP total on 93 octane and 1-2 better MPG.
Bingo.

There is even a fuel efficiency map on most of their tuners.

No one is talking about turning the Cherokee into a performance vehicle. But eeking out a bit more hp/tq could help off roaders with their trail hawks...or perk up the vehicles in the lower 3 gears.

Like I said, when I put a tune on stock tune on my challenger I actually got a little better performance AND better mpg.

I have had my custom tune on my car for over 3 years now and never had any issues.

But whatever, its sad to see such a lack of support.

Reactions: sthompson87

·
Banned
619 Posts
Bingo.

No one is talking about turning the Cherokee into a performance vehicle. But eeking out a bit more hp/tq could help off roaders with their trail hawks...or perk up the vehicles in the lower 3 gears.

Like I said, when I put a tune on stock tune on my challenger I actually got a little better performance AND better mpg.

I have had my custom tune on my car for over 3 years now and never had any issues.

I understand where you are coming from. I grew up in the Detroit auto world. Everybody I knew either worked for an auto company or an auto company supplier. Friday and Saturday night meant only one thing, cruising. Woodward/Ted's being the most famous. We used to street race on an abandoned runaway out at the Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Muscle/Performance cars were extremely popular. The most famous radio commercial was: Saturday, Saturday night at Detroit drag way. If you couldn't talk cars you were considered out of it. The NASCAR slogan was win on Sunday, buy on Monday.

Now though Chrysler/Jeep has created a problem in order to increase sales/profits. They created the FWD, soccer mom Jeep Cherokee. Oh sure it looks cool and most people can't tell it is not the typical Jeep. Now you have the average Joe buying a Cherokee primarily on looks for everyday transportation. They are no longer buying them for performance and off road abilities/activities. The people buying them are not true performance/Jeep enthusiasts. I offer as proof of this the many posts on this forum about rough shifts, rattles, and squeaks. The hard core Jeep enthusiast didn't worry about those things but cared about performance and if his vehicle would stand up to him beating on it. In short you are now experiencing the lack of response to tuning/ performance because all this new Jeep group cares about is transportation to work, the mall, and the grocery store.

I do think there is hope for people like us though. I don't live far from Chrysler's USA headquarters. Almost every day and night I see Cherokee's on the street with manufacturer's plates on them. Chrysler is definitely working on improving the performance of the Cherokee. I offer as proof that they currently have Roushe Racing of NASCAR fame working with them on the Cherokee. I would not be surprised to see an SRT version of the Cherokee soon. Also, I have seen diesel version's of the Cherokee running around in the wild here and expect to see USA versions of the diesel Cherokee soon.

I know my opinion won't be popular so flame away.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
Nope, no-way-uh uh....she's good the way she is..why play with a good thing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Bingo.

I don't think what you call a lack of support is sad. I think it is just reality. I don't see the KL as being a vehicle most will want to mess with. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I still don't know what it is officially. Is it some form of hardware that I would connect into the the Cherokee electrical system that would override the stock instructions and provide it's own to the engine and transmission for what one would hope would be better performance and efficiency?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I still don't know what it is officially. Is it some form of hardware that I would connect into the the Cherokee electrical system that would override the stock instructions and provide it's own to the engine and transmission for what one would hope would be better performance and efficiency?
Tuners are handheld devices that plug into the OBDII port and alter the factory programming. They can change fuel maps, ignition timing, shift points, and so on to increase performance and/or MPG. They can also be used to adjust for non stock tire sizes many times too. Some will read and clear codes and some even have gauges and such on them.

There are a variety of tuners out there. From expensive full featured ones to basic simple ones. Many tuners have multiple tunes on them( MPG or HP ). Economy tuners are designed to increase MPG ( generally on 87 octane )while performance tuners usually are for HP( and you must use 91+ octane ). As said many tuners will have multiple tune levels to choose from.

They remove the stock programming from your vehicle and store it on the tuner device. It then puts the custom tune on in place of the stock one. Never bring a vehicle with a tune to the dealer. Always restore it to stock 1st. If the dealer flashes the vehicle with the custom tune it can cause issues. You also don't want them knowing you have done so either as it will be noted and it will bite your tuckuss if warranty claims arise. There are even ways for the dealer to know you have used a tuner with the stock tune reinstalled.

They have their place but IMO it is not for a vehicle under warranty.

·
Banned
619 Posts
You summed it up pretty well in layman's terms. This is nothing new. Hot rodders have been doing this since they first starting putting computers in cars. What the OP is talking about has a little more control over it but this kind of thing first started out by simply swapping out the computer chip. If you poke around in the right places there are several companies selling high performance computer chips for the 2014 Cherokee already. You need to remember that the computer program in the 2014 Cherokee was toned down to meet EPA standards.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts