2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting new shoes on the TH and I like the idea of maximizing ground clearance, so thinking of going with A/Ts in 255/70R-17. I do plan to lift the Jeep, but I really need tires, now, and then need to drive out of town, so there is now time at present. I'm just wondering what issues, if any I am facing running 255/70R-17 vs. 245/70R-17. Has anyone experienced rubbing? Does the spare tire fit in the compartment? Anything else to consider? Streetability is still a concern. Is it worth the extra ground clearance, or is 245/70 the more sensible option?

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
282 Posts
245 will fit with no rubbing. 255 will require trimming to fit and will not fit in the spare tire compartment. 265/65 also fits with little to no rubbing and adds some width to your tires.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
Getting new shoes on the TH and I like the idea of maximizing ground clearance, so thinking of going with A/Ts in 255/70R-17. I do plan to lift the Jeep, but I really need tires, now, and then need to drive out of town, so there is now time at present. I'm just wondering what issues, if any I am facing running 255/70R-17 vs. 245/70R-17. Has anyone experienced rubbing? Does the spare tire fit in the compartment? Anything else to consider? Streetability is still a concern. Is it worth the extra ground clearance, or is 245/70 the more sensible option?
245/70's, they will fit your 2014 without the lift, 255/70's won't. Mine is lifted 2" and I run 245/70's, and would never go bigger. Drama free, and no cutting, trimming or grinding required...😎

Edit-
Also fit in the spare tire compartment!!!😎

·
Registered
2017 Trailhawk; 32.3" Nittos; MFC 2" lift; Pinch Weld mod; RRO SuperSliders; Rhino Rack; MFC rwcKit
50 Posts
The choice is yours alone my friend! Here's what I did. 255 75 17's (32.3"). To do so you need a 2" lift; rear wheel centering kit; pinch weld mod.; re-shaping of the fender liners with a heat gun. There is No cutting of the fenders, it is still stock in that respect. Nothing rubs or bottoms out (just did a week of trails in the Sangre De Cristo mountains in Colorado)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
. No the spare does not fit in the rear compartment, so I built a rear tire carrier, see my other posts. All of this can be done in your garage if you have basic mechanical knowledge, basic
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
tools and a floor jack. Took me a month, working several hours on a Sat. or Sun. Was it worth it? OHHHH YEAH. 16" ground clearance at the bottom of my RRO SuperSliders. "If you ain't first, you last" - Ricky Bobby.

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
The choice is yours alone my friend! Here's what I did. 255 75 17's (32.3"). To do so you need a 2" lift; rear wheel centering kit; pinch weld mod.; re-shaping of the fender liners with a heat gun. There is No cutting of the fenders, it is still stock in that respect. Nothing rubs or bottoms out (just did a week of trails in the Sangre De Cristo mountains in Colorado) View attachment 216287 View attachment 216288 View attachment 216289 . No the spare does not fit in the rear compartment, so I built a rear tire carrier, see my other posts. All of this can be done in your garage if you have basic mechanical knowledge, basic View attachment 216287 tools and a floor jack. Took me a month, working several hours on a Sat. or Sun. Was it worth it? OHHHH YEAH. 16" ground clearance at the bottom of my RRO SuperSliders. "If you ain't first, you last" - Ricky Bobby.
That is a great color

·
Registered
947 Posts
As has already been said a couple times...if you're not lifted, the largest that will fit would be 245/70R17 or a 265/65R17 (almost identical height, just difference in width and visual impact)
I've always preferred the 255/65R17 for a perfect compromise. Not too wide, not as narrow as the 245 looks. They offer a decent visual upgrade to the look of your Cherokee making it appear a little meatier. They will never rub, and fits in the spare well with no issues. I recall my first Cherokee (2015) sitting side by side with Tyler's (he had 245/70's) and even he commented that the 255's added a better visual heft to the vehicle.

Until you actually lift it, those are your limitations.

Mine with 255/65's
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Car

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
265/65/17 is very "your mileage may vary", really depends on the vehicle and the specific tire. On my cherokee without a lift, using nitto ridge grapplers, they rubbed. Not all 265/65/17 tires are equal. Some are slightly larger, some smaller. The trick is to look at the revolutions per mile to determine a more accurate tire diameter. For example my ridge grapplers are on the large side for a 265/65/17.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Awesome job on the spare tire carrier, and fitting the 255/75s. I'm not afraid of trimming the pinch welds, but I don't think I would want to run anything larger than the 255/70s I'm considering.

My understanding, from reading around here was that lifting doesn't do much to fit larger tires, and that if rubbing occurs it would be at the front/rear of the fender wells. Basically requiring pinch weld, and fender liner modification. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I have read a few reports of people running 255/70R-17s on lifted vehicles without trimming, but no idea if the spare tire fits in the compartment. Hopefully, someone who has run this tire size can comment.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback.

Awesome job on the spare tire carrier, and fitting the 255/75s. I'm not afraid of trimming the pinch welds, but I don't think I would want to run anything larger than the 255/70s I'm considering.

My understanding, from reading around here was that lifting doesn't do much to fit larger tires, and that if rubbing occurs it would be at the front/rear of the fender wells. Basically requiring pinch weld, and fender liner modification. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I have read a few reports of people running 255/70R-17s on lifted vehicles without trimming, but no idea if the spare tire fits in the compartment. Hopefully, someone who has run this tire size can comment.
i ru the same tire set up and there’s no way to fit the 32.01 in the spare tire compartment, so I purchased a hitch mount adjustable spare tire carrier, 250.00 and it looks cool, but I do have to take it off when I go off road, so I put it on top of my Jeep in the roof rack from tyger ! Happy Jeeping 😃

·
Registered
208 Posts
i ru the same tire set up and there’s no way to fit the 32.01 in the spare tire compartment, so I purchased a hitch mount adjustable spare tire carrier, 250.00 and it looks cool, but I do have to take it off when I go off road, so I put it on top of my Jeep in the roof rack from tyger ! Happy Jeeping 😃
A 255x70x17 is 32.01!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts