2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
It baffles me that Jeep thinks the Cherokee doesn't sell. The only reason it doesn't sell is the lack of an updated redesigned version.
At this stage, the "why" may no longer matter. Downward spirals become self-perpetuating. Cherokee sales were absolutely horrific in the 3rd Q of 2021 -- less than half of Compass sales, which were already very weak -- and that was before Cherokee production was halted for almost the whole month of October.

The compass is not an option for me as it does not match the Cherokee in size, offroad capabilities, the way it feels when driving, towing, overall build.
As I've explained, you're the type of customer Jeep would like to switch to the Grand Cherokee. Now, are there some people for whom the Compass is not enough, but the GC is too much? Sure, but it may no longer be worth it to Jeep to maintain an extra model just to continue to split that difference.

·
Registered
289 Posts
As I've explained, you're the type of customer Jeep would like to switch to the Grand Cherokee. Now, are there some people for whom the Compass is not enough, but the GC is too much? Sure, but it may no longer be worth it to Jeep to maintain an extra model just to continue to split that difference.
I can see the point of Jeep wanting people to switch over to the GC. However that won't work. The size of the Cherokee is a very popular size for SUV's looking at all the other brands and their SUV's in that category. It seems Jeep will have a gap their lineup and i will have to look for an alternative.

Reactions: AZJeeper

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I can see the point of Jeep wanting people to switch over to the GC. However that won't work. The size of the Cherokee is a very popular size for SUV's looking at all the other brands and their SUV's in that category. It seems Jeep will have a gap their lineup and i will have to look for an alternative.
It's a huge problem I'm sure. Far from convinced the Compass can play in the same league as the RAV4, CR-V, Escape, CX-5, Rogue, Forester.
Reviewers I watch say the Compass is too expensive, so good luck going after the Sportage, Tucson, Rogue Sport, HR-V, CrossTrek, etc...
The one off-road capable trim is the only one that has an edge, but... $$$... and the CrossTrek does Ok here too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
In terms of market segment, the Compass and Cherokee are the same size: compact. It's true that the Cherokee is slightly larger in some dimensions, but other members of this very competitive class also vary somewhat in size. E.g., Every 2021 Compact Crossover SUV Ranked from Worst to Best (Car and Driver ranked the 2021 Compass 16th and the 2021 Cherokee 14th; probably the 2022 Compass would have ranked higher).

So the departure of the Cherokee from Jeep's lineup would not leave a size gap. The primary difference between the Compass and Cherokee is refinement and performance, not size. That's why moving up to the Grand Cherokee would be the answer for customers who find the 2022 Compass lacking in those attributes. But in terms of basic size, Jeep would be fine with only the Compass around. The world at large considers it a compact SUV. You may still find it too small for yourself in some respects, but the Mazda CX-5 (no. 1. in C&D's roundup) gets the same criticism from some buyers. Every compact SUV does. These vehicles are not behemoths, so it's inevitable that a particular person may find a particular model too cramped for him/her. But they're all still direct competitors.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think this comparison is still leaving out a sizeable market segment - those who tow behind their motorhome. It's not the bulk of sales by any means, but it is a differentiator for some.

The Compass is NOT flat towable. Period. Neither is the Renegade.
The Cherokee IS (based on model). It is relatively light @ about 4,250 lbs.
The Grand Cherokee IS (based on model), but it's about 500 lbs heavier.
Of course, there's the Wrangler, but a large percentage modify their's with winches, bumpers, lifts, larger tires, etc. Mine went from a rather svelt 4,300 lbs to 5,500 lbs - and every modification was functional (e.g. no "angry eyes" or crap like that). The 2021 JLU Rubicon comes in at 5,103 lbs so that's an anchor just waiting to get heavier!
Any 4Xe models are going to weigh even more.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,796 Posts
Except for those people that want the refinement, capabilities, and performance better than what the Compass offers, but not the size or expense of the Grand.
If they were to drop the Cherokee and don't up the Compass lineup/spec to meet that, many people won't 'settle' for the Grand, they'll just jump to another brand.
However, if they offer the Compass with similar drivetrain capabilities to what the Cherokee offers, then a case could be made to trim the Cherokee out of the line.

Of course with Ford coming back into the trail side of things with the Bronco/Bronco Sport, Stellantis may just be throwing in the towel.

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Except for those people that want the refinement, capabilities, and performance better than what the Compass offers, but not the size or expense of the Grand.
As I noted above, in post #61: "Now, are there some people for whom the Compass is not enough, but the GC is too much? Sure, but it may no longer be worth it to Jeep to maintain an extra model just to continue to split that difference."

No strategy that involves significant change can promise to retain all potential future customers. I know that, you know that, and Jeep knows that. Compromises are unavoidable. Some lost sales will be inevitable if a model departs, but sales also may be gained through reallocation of company resources elsewhere. I don't know exactly what Jeep is going to do. For now, it's just a question of looking at the company's current actions -- or inactions -- and trying to guess where they're heading. I don't think anyone here can honestly say that things are looking bright for the Cherokee at the moment.

However, if they offer the Compass with similar drivetrain capabilities to what the Cherokee offers, then a case could be made to trim the Cherokee out of the line.
As discussed previously, I do think some type of performance upgrade to the Compass will occur eventually. Everyone who has looked at the vehicle seems to agree that it's necessary. But Jeep often seems to take the slow road, so when it will happen is anyone's guess.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,500 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
They obviously wrote out a big check to R&T for that one, apparently bigger than BMW!!! LOL...😬😎
It's kinda like J.D. Powers awards. If you pay you can use their data, if you don't you can't. Think that might have a teensy amount of influence in their "awards"?

Reactions: Flybynightcru
61 - 71 of 71 Posts