2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Obviously the next Cherokee will definitely be far beyond 2022, but I’m curious what the future will hold. Time will tell!
Here's an article with no-so-great implications for the future: Stellantis to lay off about 400 workers at Jeep Cherokee plant in Ill. At first glance, this is just another piece about the latest layoffs, as already discussed here in posts #37 and #40 above. But then it makes a further observation:

The Cherokee's U.S. sales this year have plunged 20 percent to 78,750 vehicles through September. Third-quarter sales fell 72 percent to 11,592 vehicles.

But there could be a lifeline on the way as Stellantis electrifies its lineup in the years ahead.
Hmm, perhaps an electric Cherokee? Actually, I've been mulling over that possibility myself recently. Jeep has promised electrification in every product segment, so why not a pure BEV as the next Cherokee? At some point, Jeep will need to leap beyond hybrids; would the world really need both a Compass 4xe (which I suspect will be coming to North America eventually) and a Cherokee 4xe?

But no! The article offers this hypothesis instead:

AutoForecast Solutions is expecting production of the Dodge Challenger and Charger muscle cars to move to Belvidere in 2024. Those redesigned models would be on Stellantis' electrified STLA Large platform.

AutoForecast Solutions also predicts that a new electrified Chrysler crossover will be produced alongside the next-generation muscle cars in Belvidere on the same platform.
OK, if electric Dodge and Chrysler vehicles are going to be built at the Cherokee's current plant, where will future Cherokees be built?

·
Registered
“Elvira” 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
183 Posts
The article from Mopar Insiders “predicts” that the next Cherokee would be built in the Mexico plant. I’m assuming that would be alongside the Compass if that were to become true. I think it would be a bummer in some ways as it has been on the Top 10 Most American Made Index for quite some time.

“With the development of the next-generation Jeep Cherokee (KM) underway, it is predicted that the upcoming version could be produced in Mexico.”

·
Registered
476 Posts
The article from Mopar Insiders “predicts” that the next Cherokee would be built in the Mexico plant. I’m assuming that would be alongside the Compass if that were to become true. I think it would be a bummer in some ways as it has been on the Top 10 Most American Made Index for quite some time.

“With the development of the next-generation Jeep Cherokee (KM) underway, it is predicted that the upcoming version could be produced in Mexico.”
Thanks. That could remove yet another obstacle to Jeep's ultimately dumping the Cherokee in favor of the Compass. There's a range of reasons that a would-be Cherokee buyer might reject a Compass as a substitute ("I need a V6!"). One of these is a preference for a U.S.-built car. If both vehicles are coming out of Mexico, then that's no longer a differentiator.

Reactions: j3r3myCs

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,500 Posts
There's a range of reasons that a would-be Cherokee buyer might reject a Compass
KL owners don't let friends buy Compasses!!! Seriously, would anyone in their right mind, that's driven both a KL, and a Compass ever replace their KL with a Compass, @arudlang ??? I'm going to say, that would be a negative!!!😉😎

·
Registered
476 Posts
KL owners don't let friends buy Compasses!!! Seriously, would anyone in their right mind, that's driven both a KL, and a Compass ever replace their KL with a Compass, @arudlang ??? I'm going to say, that would be a negative!!!😉😎
Sure, but you're assuming that the Cherokee will remain an option. The question I've raised, here and in my thread on "Pricing space," is what will happen if/when Jeep drops the Cherokee from the lineup. There has to be a transition plan for marketing to would-be (or would-have-been) Cherokee buyers, and I'm convinced it will start like this:

"Jeep no longer makes the Cherokee, but I'm sure you'll love this great 2022 [2023?] Compass. It's the same size as the Cherokee, and has the same standard engine that the Cherokee had. And look at this great new interior -- it's like the Wagoneer's! Check out Uconnect 5; everyone loves it. Of course, there's a Compass Trailhawk if that's what you want."

Naturally, that pitch won't work on everyone; these retorts are possible:
  • "I want a more powerful engine."
  • "I need better off-road capability."
  • "I'd like a more high-end feel, or more luxury features."
  • "I want a vehicle that's made in the USA."
Then Jeep's next move would be, "Take a look at this beautiful new Grand Cherokee! It has everything you want, and I'm sure we can find one in your price range."

I believe that Jeep's strategy for discontinuing the Cherokee would be to try to move most Cherokee customers to the now-fancier Compass, and upsell a significant minority to the Grand Cherokee. Obviously, there would be leakage. Some people would find the GC too expensive, or too big. Some would just buy a used Cherokee. Some would defect to Ford, Subaru, or Toyota. Some might say, "Oh, what the hell," and buy a Wrangler. (Jeep would love that too.). Some would buy nothing, and go home and wait for another year or two. But no sales strategy is perfect, and it doesn't need to be. Jeep doesn't capture all possible Cherokee buyers now, even with the Cherokee still in production.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
  • "I'd like a more high-end feel, or more luxury features."
Have you looked at the interior of a 2022 Compass, it's far and behind better than any of the KL Cherokees, in fact it's on par and takes design ques from the Grand Cherokee L and New WL 2 Row Grand Cherokee. You are right on the other parts but the interior design is drastically different

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have you looked at the interior of a 2022 Compass, it's far and behind better than any of the KL Cherokees, in fact it's on par and takes design ques from the Grand Cherokee L and New WL 2 Row Grand Cherokee.
If you look at my post above, you'll see that the updated interior is one of the points highlighted in the imaginary Compass sales pitch.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,796 Posts
I do like the new Compass aesthetic, and its option list for driver/passenger convenience is pretty on par as well. Being limited to a 2.4, no true Low range, no toad possibility, and a tow max of 2000# are significant downsides, if they were to address these by adding optional engine/drive-line capabilities, they could have a case for merging the 2 model lines.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
We shall see...it's sink, or swim time for all the manufacturers, and it's definitely already obvious to me that some are "adapting and evolving" far better than others. Stellantis as a whole, across all brands, and model lineups seem to be a bit in limbo, and stale at the moment. They have one or two model updates, and one all new model with the introduction of the Grand Wagoneer, but how many of those have we actually seen on the road, or even in dealerships. If I had to guess who's doing the best job right now, it would have to be the Korean manufacturers, they're nailing it with updated, complete new models, and new technologies across their entire model lineups in the last couple years. All US manufacturers need to step things up pretty damn quickly, or quite possibly fall back into the situation they were in back in the 80's, which was probably the worst decade for all US manufacturers. Let's see where this goes!!! LOL...🤔😎

·
Registered
476 Posts
We shall see...it's sink, or swim time for all the manufacturers, and it's definitely already obvious to me that some are "adapting and evolving" far better than others. Stellantis as a whole, across all brands, and model lineups seem to be a bit in limbo, and stale at the moment. They have one or two model updates, and one all new model with the introduction of the Grand Wagoneer, but how many of those have we actually seen on the road, or even in dealerships.
I basically agree with this. Even the new Jeep models that are trickling out (and there do seem to be a lot of Grand Cherokee L's available now) have the same old engines, as virtually all car reviewers and auto industry pundits have complained. This applies to the Wagoneer and GW as well.

Incidentally, the 2022 Renegade has just been announced, 2022 Jeep® Renegade Fact Sheet, although it hardly differs at all from the 2021 model. Still nary a peep about the Cherokee.

If I had to guess who's doing the best job right now, it would have to be the Korean manufacturers, they're nailing it with updated, complete new models, and new technologies across their entire model lineups in the last couple years.
I agree with this point in large part as well; hence, my Hyundai thread some months back. Hyundai, once derided by Alec Baldwin, now kicks butt while Jeep sleeps.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I basically agree with this. Even the new Jeep models that are trickling out (and there do seem to be a lot of Grand Cherokee L's available now) have the same old engines, as virtually all car reviewers and auto industry pundits have complained. This applies to the Wagoneer and GW as well.

Incidentally, the 2022 Renegade has just been announced, 2022 Jeep® Renegade Fact Sheet, although it hardly differs at all from the 2021 model. Still nary a peep about the Cherokee.

I agree with this point in large part as well; hence, my Hyundai thread some months back. Hyundai, once derided by Alec Baldwin, now kicks butt while Jeep sleeps.
Agreed...I mean really, what has happened since the introduction of the all new KL Cherokee in 2014 as far as Jeep is concerned??? Not much really, and it's pretty much the same with Dodge, Chrysler and Ram...😎

·
Registered
“Elvira” 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
183 Posts
Well that is a shame, it definitely seems that the Cherokee is on the back burner. Jeep can take the Compass and the 2.4L and shove it! I personally found it pointless to buy a Compass, because often times they costed more than a well-equipped Cherokee. I don’t understand the Latitude LUX trim on the Compass either, because once you add options it costs the same if not more than a Limited trim.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well that is a shame, it definitely seems that the Cherokee is on the back burner. Jeep can take the Compass and the 2.4L and shove it! I personally found it pointless to buy a Compass, because often times they costed more than a well-equipped Cherokee.
Precisely! That's the whole point of a thread I started, Compass moves into Cherokee's pricing space, which has proved to be a little controversial. But see, once the Cherokee is gone, Jeep won't have to worry about your making that comparison any longer. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
There's some weirdness in 2022 models from various manufactures due to the chip shortage. All of them are prioritizing vehicles with higher margins. Some of those vehicles won't even have all the options, GM is taking the option for heated seats and steering wheel out of a number of their vehicles. If the Cherokee is a low margin vehicle, it makes sense to put your effort into the redesign and produce less of the current gen to save those chips for Wranglers and Grands. The next gens of the entire jeep lineup will likely include hybrids, or only come as a hybrid for certain models.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Precisely! That's the whole point of a thread I started, Compass moves into Cherokee's pricing space, which has proved to be a little controversial. But see, once the Cherokee is gone, Jeep won't have to worry about your making that comparison any longer. :)
It wouldn’t be surprising if Jeep had another brief hiatus in this segment. Similar to what they did with the KK (what was it two years when they didn’t have anything in this segment?) while the KL was underway. Coincidentally the Compass and the GC were still around while they had the brief void in their lineup. Hopefully history won’t repeat itself, we’ll just have to become more patient and see what the future holds.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm looking to replace my 2015 Cherokee trailhawk. There are tons of cherokees from the 2014-2018 timeframe here in new england and many of these owners look for a similar new car. I haven't heard many people say they disliked the Cherokee and want a different vehicle when they buy a new one. It baffles me that Jeep thinks the Cherokee doesn't sell. The only reason it doesn't sell is the lack of an updated redesigned version. The compass is not an option for me as it does not match the Cherokee in size, offroad capabilities, the way it feels when driving, towing, overall build. I'm more likely to switch to a 4Runner than to a compass. Unfortunately there is not much that compares to the Cherokee trailhawk. The 4 Runner is a bit to large, the compass is too small, the other SUV's are not off road capable enough. The Bronco sport is most similar but I didn't like it (purely subjective) when I looked at it. I guess I will get a 4Runner when that gets updated. I do not understand Jeeps product strategy.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,796 Posts
There is a KM refresh on the books, but Covid likely delayed it...

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
There is a KM refresh on the books, but Covid likely delayed it...
I remember the KJ to KK refresh. Yeah, the KJ (Liberty) with a Mercedes heritage, 'refreshed' with the Dodge Nitro platform. Bleh... :-/

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I remember the KJ to KK refresh. Yeah, the KJ (Liberty) with a Mercedes heritage, 'refreshed' with the Dodge Nitro platform. Bleh... :-/
My son has a KJ and I had a KK. The refresh was a complete and total refresh! ...of the body contours from round-ish to square-ish and some interior changes. The mechanicals shared just about every part number in common but there were a few exceptions. He has some worn suspension parts and was able to use most of my KK parts that came off when I did the lift.

I actually suspect there were more changes going from pre-2019 KL to 2019+, but we didn't get a "KM" then!

...oh, yeah. "Bleh" is an accurate description!

41 - 60 of 71 Posts