2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
IMO the planned / required shift away from Cherokee naming is a great opportunity for Jeep - and they should go in a direction that I reckon they'll be able to totally nail if theyre smart. Unbeatable capability in the form of basically the KL Trailhawk but tweaked to improve its offroading ability while still essentially being a crossover family type vehicle. Something that is straight off the showroom floor equivalent to what we all have to spend at least a couple of thousand bucks upgrading it to from current models. I'd make it as others have said above - taller and with bigger tyres, designed to go into deep water - ie. with snorkel etc. - supply it with factory rock sliders as std - and ideally even built in winch! - or at least the option from the factory - and call it Jeep Badger or Wolverine or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
IMO the planned / required shift away from Cherokee naming is a great opportunity for Jeep - and they should go in a direction that I reckon they'll be able to totally nail if theyre smart. Unbeatable capability in the form of basically the KL Trailhawk but tweaked to improve its offroading ability while still essentially being a crossover family type vehicle. Something that is straight off the showroom floor equivalent to what we all have to spend at least a couple of thousand bucks upgrading it to from current models. I'd make it as others have said above - taller and with bigger tyres, designed to go into deep water - ie. with snorkel etc. - supply it with factory rock sliders as std - and ideally even built in winch! - or at least the option from the factory - and call it Jeep Badger or Wolverine or something like that.
You basically described the wrangler, Jeep needs to do nothing to address the offroad capability of the KL platform as it's still lightyears ahead of any of the other vehicles in it's class. Jeep isn't going to add any of what you listed above because
1. it would increase the price
2 Affect ride quality
3. Affect fuel economy
4. Rocksliders are a factory option on the trailhawk, again though why force people into a $1000 option most won't need.

If someone wants a more capable off-road rig (and in reality 99% of people don't use the capability of the trailhawk)
Jeep has other models they can get for those type of customizations and modifications.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Where is the 2022 model year Cherokee news? Here's what the public received over the last three years:
Of course, these past news releases from Jeep were not the first publicly available information about their respective model years; rather, they were the final, official steps in the process of announcing all the changes and updates. In particular, look at how late in the process the 2019 Fact Sheet was. The vehicle already had been in production for many months by then.

Is anyone really expecting a similar info dump for the alleged 2022 MY before the end of this month?

Reactions: j3r3myCs

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the current silicon chip fiasco, I think most auto manufacturers are treading water
when it comes to 'new' models, as most have assembled vehicles waiting for chips to
put them on showroom floors. The silicon chip draught may not fully recover until 2024,
which leads me to believe anything not all ready to put on dealers' lots will be held up for
a while.

The Cherokee Trailhawk is in a niche market... off road 'car based' SUVs. Most AWD Compact SUVs
are 1st and foremost a family car, with AWD being there for wet and snowy weather on tarmac.
The Trailhawk's design was never meant to raise 4 inches and put 37 inch tires on. I don't see
the next iteration getting more offroad capability... if anything, less. It's a family SUV with BETTER
AWD, but it's still first and foremost a family SUV.

My `07 Mazdaspeed 6 was in a similar 'niche' market, and it went the way of the dinosaur, and the
Mazda 6 got less sporty and more practical... Such is the way of things. Hats off to the Trailhawk
for lasting as long as it has.

Please Jeep.... Prove me wrong! 😉

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,796 Posts
True, the Trailhawk is a niche 'Trim', but the Cherokee taken as a whole is probably the 2nd best of Jeep's lineup in terms of mainstream usability (2nd only to the Grand Cherokee) and content.
Unfortunately, the content that make the 2 Cherokees so popular are dependent on advanced computer systems, so for the time being, Jeep will focus on its most profitable Grand Cherokee until the chip crisis diminishes. I would expect that they will start ramping up Cherokee sales slowly, perhaps only built to order, for the near future.

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
I'm still confuse as to why Jeep has not announced a 2022 Cherokee. Especially the trailhawk models have strong competition with the Bronco sport. They updated the Wrangler to compete better with the Bronco so why is there no improved Cherokee Trailhawk?
The problem as of last March 2021 was computer chips/computer modules.
The plant in Japan had a fire earlier and production was lost. It just snowballed to put pressure on all the other demand during the pandemic for these chips. That actually increased demand because of personal electronics etc.. One of the problems when your chips ect. are outsourced with no domestic control.

Jeep shut down the Cherokee production for 2021 in March 2021 and resumed June 2021. They did that in order to use those chips in more profitable vehicles. That eventually had the domino effect across all car manufacturing for the most part even in the more profitable models for all brands.
It will take awhile to catch and shortages will remain for production into 2022 from what I have read.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not only has the Jeep Fact Sheet for the 2022 Cherokee not appeared, making it way behind schedule compared to past model years (see my post #23), it has now been more than a year since Stellantis has issued any news at all about the Cherokee. Stellantis Media. Even the similarly static Renegade got an announcement in March 2021 about a special edition. The Cherokee has become a kind of ghost model. Of course, it doesn't help when you stop making them. Cherokee sales were down 72% in the third quarter. Stellantis sales drop in 3rd quarter: Which brands were hit hardest. Total Jeep sales were down only 11%.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,500 Posts
Not only has the Jeep Fact Sheet for the 2022 Cherokee not appeared, making it way behind schedule compared to past model years (see my post #23), it has now been more than a year since Stellantis has issued any news at all about the Cherokee. Stellantis Media. Even the similarly static Renegade got an announcement in March 2021 about a special edition. The Cherokee has become a kind of ghost model. Of course, it doesn't help when you stop making them. Cherokee sales were down 72% in the third quarter. Stellantis sales drop in 3rd quarter: Which brands were hit hardest. Total Jeep sales were down only 11%.
I think this is a major contributing factor. It's coming down to "Evolve and Adapt" or fade away into oblivion. We shall soon see will survive...😎General Motors, Stellantis, Toyota and Honda Q3 deliveries hit hard by chip shortage

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Makes one wonder how much longer the Cherokee will stay in production, especially since the 3.2 V6 is a one-off just for the Cherokee. Maybe since it's built on the same line as the 3.6 they can flex production? Probably not going to flex much since the 3.6 is in:
Chrysler 300
Chrysler Pacifica
Chrysler Voyager
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Charger
Dodge Durango
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
Ram 1500
Ram 1500 Classic
Ram Promaster
There are a lot better sellers in that list than the Cherokee, so I doubt there is much of a priority on the 3.2.

Matters are made worse by the expanding use of the 2.0L Turbo
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Grand Cherokee 4Xe
The chip shortage will surely impact the production of the 2.0L, so where will the few go? Cherokee is probably not on top.

That leaves the 2.4. Like the 3.6 Pentastar, there's a long line waiting for the 2.4:
Jeep Renegade
Ram ProMaster City
Fiat 500X
Fiat Toro
...and it's the standard power plant for the much-hyped 2022 Compass.

Sales down 72% and stiff competition for engines. Doesn't bode well for the longevity of the Cherokee - at least as we know it.

Reactions: 3Rivers

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Chrysler 300
Chrysler Pacifica
Chrysler Voyager
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Charger
Dodge Durango
Jeep Gladiator
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
Ram 1500
Ram 1500 Classic
Ram Promaster
There are a lot better sellers in that list than the Cherokee, so I doubt there is much of a priority on the 3.2.
The only vehicles on that list that sold more than the Cherokee are, the Ram 1500, Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler.

In Fact the Cherokee KL Outsold the wrangler in 2014/2015/2016

It also outsold the Grand Cherokee in 2015 & 2018

The Cherokee is one of the best selling modern Jeep vehicles, its engine is not the reason the platform may be abandoned.

·
Registered
476 Posts
One possible consolation here is that the Cherokee's direct competitors aren't all faring well either in the update race. Here is what's promoted on the makers' websites as the current models:
  • Chevrolet Equinox -- 2021
  • Ford Bronco Sport -- 2021
  • Ford Escape -- 2021
  • GMC Terrain -- 2022
  • Honda CR-V -- 2022
  • Hyundai Tucson -- 2022
  • Mazda CX-5 -- 2021 (although the 2022, coming "this winter," is also promoted)
  • Nissan Rogue -- 2021
  • Subaru Forester -- 2022
  • Subaru Outback -- 2022
  • Toyota RAV4 -- 2021
  • Volkswagen Tiguan -- 2021 (VW is very coy about revealing model years)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here's some disheartening news: Jeep Cherokee plant in Illinois to be down through rest of October. Note that the "rest of October" means three-and-a-half weeks, since today is only Oct. 6.

This is a possible the-writing's-on-the-wall quote from the article: "The Belvidere plant has had significant periods of downtime this year and in July went down to a single shift, reflecting both the toll of the chip shortage as well as lagging demand for the Cherokee" (emphasis added). This is now a case of "don't want to build," not just "can't build."

·
Registered
476 Posts
Update to the current model-year list shown in post #31 above. There has been some progress among Cherokee rivals:
  • Chevrolet Equinox -- 2022
  • Ford Bronco Sport -- 2022
  • Ford Escape -- 2021
  • GMC Terrain -- 2022
  • Honda CR-V -- 2022
  • Hyundai Tucson -- 2022
  • Mazda CX-5 -- 2021 (although the 2022, coming "this winter," is also promoted)
  • Nissan Rogue -- 2021
  • Subaru Forester -- 2022
  • Subaru Outback -- 2022
  • Toyota RAV4 -- 2021
  • Volkswagen Tiguan -- 2022

·
Registered
476 Posts
Matters are made worse by the expanding use of the 2.0L Turbo
Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Wrangler
Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Grand Cherokee 4Xe
The chip shortage will surely impact the production of the 2.0L, so where will the few go? Cherokee is probably not on top.
Yesterday, I received a letter from Jeep offering to purchase the 2.0T out of my Cherokee so it could be refurbished and installed in a new Grand Cherokee 4xe. In addition to a handsome sum for the engine itself, Jeep said it would pay for the installation of an "equivalent-mileage" 2.4 MultiAir in my vehicle. They also guaranteed a minimum trade-in value should I want to swap my Cherokee for a new Grand. The offer also included a free three-day loaner of a Dodge Caravan promised to be no older than the 2018 MY.

OK, just kidding. But did it sound sort of plausible?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Yesterday, I received a letter from Jeep offering to purchase the 2.0T out of my Cherokee so it could be refurbished and installed in a new Grand Cherokee 4xe. In addition to a handsome sum for the engine itself, Jeep said it would pay for the installation of an "equivalent-mileage" 2.4 MultiAir in my vehicle. They also guaranteed a minimum trade-in value should I want to swap my Cherokee for a new Grand. The offer also included a free three-day loaner of a Dodge Caravan promised to be no older than the 2018 MY.
OK, just kidding. But did it sound sort of plausible?
They offered me a new 3.2 drive train, a reset of my in service date to now (with full warranty) and, either 1. an upgrade to the tow package, or 2. skid plates and rock rails. ;)

They must like my posts better or my dealer surveys better. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
476 Posts
More bad news:
Stellantis to cut about 400 more jobs at Jeep Cherokee plant in Illinois

Stellantis NV will cut about 400 more jobs at its Jeep Cherokee factory in Illinois amid a global shortage of semiconductors that already has whacked production and cut a shift at Belvidere Assembly Plant.

The workforce reduction will take effect as early as Jan. 14. ...
. . .
"As we continue to balance global sales with production of the Jeep Cherokee produced at the Belvidere (III.) Assembly Plant, which has been further exacerbated by the unprecedented global microchip shortage," spokeswoman Jodi Tinson said in a statement, "Stellantis has determined that additional staffing actions are needed as a result of changes in the plant’s operations."
. . .
Leaders in Belvidere and Boone County have said the plant needs investment for electric vehicles to survive. The plant has lost about 122,000 vehicles produced in 2021 because of the microchip shortage, according to Tuesday estimates from AutoForecast Solutions LLC, though it's operating this week. U.S. Cherokee crossover sales are down 20% year-to-date.
Note that "sales are down 20% year-to-date" is using 2020 as the baseline -- and 2020 was a pandemic year in which Cherokee sales sucked. Sales are scraping bottom in 2021, which is understandable, given that so few Cherokees have actually been manufactured.

What's going to end up happening is that the "2022 Cherokee" will mean that only 2,022 more Cherokees will ever be built. :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
The chip shortage is expected to go until at least the end of next year, they're just getting ahead of that. They haven't updated a few models yet, probably because they're trying to figure out what they can reliably build. They're also investing in other USA plants to ramp up hybrid production and build new drivetrains for them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I don't think it really matters since there were few, if any, changes going to be made to the 2022 model anyway. 2021 already built vs 2022 if the chip gods decide to free up some computers (if ever). Pretty obvious - at least to me.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
“Elvira” 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
183 Posts
When I was at the dealer yesterday there was only one new Cherokee on the lot. It was an 80th Year Anniversary. I noticed they got an Overland from an auction. Obviously they sell when there is inventory, it’s just the matter of getting them. I guess it’s an opportunity for other models to play catch up in terms of sales.
Here is an interesting read (similar title as the other article, but more info):
Obviously the next Cherokee will definitely be far beyond 2022, but I’m curious what the future will hold. Time will tell!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts