2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 4th Cherokee and did a little upgrading. So now I have the leather-trimmed seats and want to keep them clean and conditioned. My question is which part of the seat is considered leather?

Is the preforated part leather? Does it matter which parts get the leather cleaning/conditioning? I got the Ski Grey color, which I wasn't overly fond of at first, but now it's kinda grown on me and looks great to me.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
648 Posts
The leather parts are the parts that normally come in contact with a person (in red), the rest are either vinyl or fabric.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Just bought my 4th Cherokee and did a little upgrading. So now I have the leather-trimmed seats and want to keep them clean and conditioned. My question is which part of the seat is considered leather?

Is the preforated part leather? Does it matter which parts get the leather cleaning/conditioning? I got the Ski Grey color, which I wasn't overly fond of at first, but now it's kinda grown on me and looks great to me.

View attachment 213538
Nice!!! Congrats on the new Lat!!! I guess you're seats are also ventilated??? The whole seat is leather. I use a product by Maquires, but I have only treated my leather seats for years like twice a year. You can "Overtreat" leather, and it can actually shorten the life of the leather by over moisturizing, just like too much Armor All on plastic. Damp microfiber works just fine, and treat the leather in the spring and fall. As for the perforated parts, work the conditioner into your microfiber before applying, because the pores can get all gunked up over time with heavy applications. Don't overthink it, and enjoy your comfy new seats...😎

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!!! Congrats on the new Lat!!! I guess you're seats are also ventilated???
Thanks. Yes, the seats are ventilated. Not sure I'll need the heated steering wheel or seats down here in South Florida or not, but we'll see. The air ventilation will be nice, though.

Yeah, I had leather seats a few years ago and discovered that you can overtreat them. I just want to make sure the light color leather will stay as clean as possible and soft. I've always used Meguiar's products forever. I swear by them. I was just concerned that if the perforated area was vinyl, it would mess things up.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leather parts are the parts that normally come in contact with a person (in red), the rest are either vinyl or fabric.
View attachment 213539
Thanks. That helps.
So the back of the seats and sides are NOT leather?
I wonder if treating those areas will do any harm?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Thanks. That helps.
So the back of the seats and sides are NOT leather?
I wonder if treating those areas will do any harm?
Mine are ALL leather, except of course the plastic parts. It's also a very durable leather. I think OP has the same...😎

Reactions: ups4

·
Registered
313 Posts
Correct the sides and back and headrests are vinyl with a similar feel of leather. Its definitely vinyl though. If you treat it with leather cleaner and conditioner it will not hurt it at all. Vinyl dries out just the same and needs treatment to prevent cracking. Ever seen a non treated boat seat after a few years in the sun? Dry and crispy with small cracks. Treated with some conditioner soft and flexible. I find in the hot Atlanta heat mine need more than twice a year. I do every other month during summer. Florida you probably need to treat even more often if parking in the intense sun.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. It is definitely not the same material on the outer side seat cushions on mine as it is on a non leather (vinyl) trimmed Cherokee seats, but then again, I'm no upholstery expert, but I have parked my butt in a lot of extremely high end leather trimmed upholstery in my time of transporting thousands of the most elite vehicles that most of us will only ever dream about in my 40 years in the Auto Transport business...😎
20180615_174944.jpg

Just a normal week...😎

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mine are ALL leather, except of course the plastic parts. It's also a very durable leather. I think OP has the same...😎
I'm not trying to start an argument, but there is only 1 FCA product with a Full leather interior. Its not a Cherokee. Its a Grand Cherokee with the Signature Leather Package / Full Nappa Leather Package. On that package it has leather on every surface of both rows of seats and leather on the door upper and lower and on the top of the dash. Its a very expensive option only available on a Summit or TrackHawk

I have a 2020 Limited with the same interior as the OP and it isn't full leather.

Now the parts you sit on, the middle of the seat, the bolsters, the back of the seat and the wings are all leather covered.

The side of the seats where they wrap to the base and the back of the seat that faces the rear seat are vinyl.

I will add one caveat to this: If your vehicle was equipped with Katzkin leather interior like my first Wrangler, the highest end leather they sell is in fact a FULL leather seat.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. It is definitely not the same material on the outer side seat cushions on mine as it is on a non leather (vinyl) trimmed Cherokee seats, but then again, I'm no upholstery expert, but I have parked my butt in a lot of extremely high end leather trimmed upholstery in my time of transporting thousands of the most elite vehicles that most of us will only ever dream about in my 40 years in the Auto Transport business...😎 View attachment 213543
Just a normal week...😎
Very nice cars, the transport looks awesome.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yep, you have to move up close to 6 digit $$$ these days to get full leather...
I think main stream car makers moved away from 'full leather' to 'leather trimmed' in the mid '60s...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'm not trying to start an argument, but there is only 1 FCA product with a Full leather interior. Its not a Cherokee. Its a Grand Cherokee with the Signature Leather Package / Full Nappa Leather Package. On that package it has leather on every surface of both rows of seats and leather on the door upper and lower and on the top of the dash. Its a very expensive option only available on a Summit or TrackHawk

I have a 2020 Limited with the same interior as the OP and it isn't full leather.

Now the parts you sit on, the middle of the seat, the bolsters, the back of the seat and the wings are all leather covered.

The side of the seats where they wrap to the base and the back of the seat that faces the rear seat are vinyl.

I will add one caveat to this: If your vehicle was equipped with Katzkin leather interior like my first Wrangler, the highest end leather they sell is in fact a FULL leather seat.
Then, it's a "different" vinyl than the vinyl trimmed options, but yes, it's definitely not Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari, McLaren, or even Cadillac leather by no means, and I'm sure glad it's not...😎
20180130_154032.jpg

Reactions: idonbro

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I guess Chrysler quit using "Corinthian" leather when they quit making Cordobas huh???😂🤣
rich-corinthian-leather.jpg

·
Registered
648 Posts
They do go to lengths to make the pleather match the real thing...

·
Registered
851 Posts
isnt the leather sealed anyway? what sort of treatment do you do on sealed leather? I thought you pretty much treat it like vinyl and use 303 or your regular stuff on it.

Open to correction.

·
Registered
371 Posts
isnt the leather sealed anyway? what sort of treatment do you do on sealed leather? I thought you pretty much treat it like vinyl and use 303 or your regular stuff on it.

Open to correction.
You are correct. I still use a good leather cleaner and conditioner at least once a year as it will help. But the leather does have a coating on it and normal dash protectant will work just fine on the seats (still do test spots).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

Open to correction.
Just use a leather conditioner occasionally...😎

Reactions: ups4
1 - 18 of 18 Posts