2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a brand new 2021 Cherokee but the speakers do not seem loud at all. I have the 6 speaker setup. After about 26 it stops getting any louder. At 38 I feel like it should sound much louder. Is this just how they are or is there something I can do? It’s a year lease so I can’t do anything to it unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I’ve got a brand new 2021 Cherokee but the speakers do not seem loud at all. I have the 6 speaker setup. After about 26 it stops getting any louder. At 38 I feel like it should sound much louder. Is this just how they are or is there something I can do? It’s a year lease so I can’t do anything to it unfortunately.
I guess it is what it is if it's a lease, and you can't do anything with it. I have the Alpine system in my 2019, and it gets pretty loud, and though it could be better, it's not too bad for the factory sound system.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In the sound settings you can turn on speed adjusted volume to 3. So when you start cruising at 30mph or faster you can hear the change in volume. I have the 6 speaker setup myself in a 2019 and without the speed adjusted volume it is far too low at higher speeds.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Even though you are leasing there is nothing stopping you from replacing the junk stock speakers. It will be well worth your time and if you don't want to pull them out when you return the car, leave them in there so the next buyer has a decent sounding system. ;)

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
I have replaced all six speakers with Rockford Fosgate two way speakers and added an Alpine 4-channel amp (dash speakers are connected in parallel to the front door speakers) and it all sounds very good now. Volume above 22 seems too loud and I like it up there.

Not sure I would do that with a lease vehicle though, but I guess it depends on wallet vs. necessity.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Same in my 2020 Upland with the 6 speaker system. Just waiting to clear out the garage. Park the Jeep for a few weeks. Doing a full sound proof job on all the doors and rear hatch area. All Plastic paneling... Basically everywhere I can get to without removing the headliner and carpeting. Sound proofing is the base for all audio. Crap speakers can sound good after you sound proof the snot out of a car. Then, swapping all the speakers. Going with 6.5 components in the front doors with a custom block plate, 6x9 in the rear doors. 12in sub in the back. Will do the 7in screen to 8.4in screen and soon as I find a wrecked KL in the bone yard.

I heard a 2019 with these installed... It wasn't bad. Wasn't anything to write home about either. Better than my stock squeakers for sure.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
I went all Rockford for the six speakers and a 4-channel amplifier made a world of difference. I will likely use Dynamat in the doors and dash when I get the itch, but there wasn't much easy access space in the doors.

Are you going with the 8.4AN with the 9 speakers to include the sub? That system has a factory amplifier added, but I went all aftermarket when I discovered how cheesy the stock speakers are and figured the amp would be also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went all Rockford for the six speakers and a 4-channel amplifier made a world of difference. I will likely use Dynamat in the doors and dash when I get the itch, but there wasn't much easy access space in the doors.

Are you going with the 8.4AN with the 9 speakers to include the sub? That system has a factory amplifier added, but I went all aftermarket when I discovered how cheesy the stock speakers are and figured the amp would be also.

How is the amp connected? pics? Looking for ideas

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
I don't have photos, sorry and it's tucked up beside the head unit. I cut into the speaker wiring and inserted the amplifier - it's a 4-channel, so two channels for the rear doors and two for the front doors and dash. The dash are factory connected in parallel with the front doors. The Alpine amplifier was small, so there were a few places to locate it. I also set the gain low on the amp - it was sufficient for me and the crossover is set at 80Hz.

I have all 2-way, 4 ohm speakers in each position and after having tried Pioneer 3-1/2" speakers in the dash, I swapped them for the RF 3-1/2" which are a better speaker in several ways (freq. response, power handling, voice coils) and match up better with the rest of the speakers sonically.

I'm maybe considering adding tweeters in parallel with the rear door speakers, much like the dash only smaller high frequency versions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have all 2-way, 4 ohm speakers in each position and after having tried Pioneer 3-1/2" speakers in the dash, I swapped them for the RF 3-1/2" which are a better speaker in several ways (freq. response, power handling, voice coils) and match up better with the rest of the speakers sonically.
Did you compare the 3.5in Pioneers with the RFs before the amp installation?

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
342 Posts
No, after. The Pioneer's didn't handle the amplified power very well - they were bright, as expected, but they seemed overwhelmed. The 3-1/2" RF's handled the amplifier much better and meshed well with the 6x9 RF's and together they sound much better.

I almost went with the JL 3-1/2" speakers, but in retrospect, I'm glad I didn't now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts