2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Trailhawk 3.2 v6 Granite Crystal Metallic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching for the real-world exterior height of the Trailhawk and finding nothing, I wanted to note my findings to hopefully help someone else who is searching in the future.

The background for this - My main goal for our '21 Trailhawk is to be a more-than-capable vehicle to get us to great dispersed camping spots, trailheads in the summer and winter, mild to moderate off-roading, and back and forth to work every day. A great way to maximize space is to add a rooftop cargo box. I needed dimensions to make sure I could fit the stock Trailhawk, Mopar/Thule Cross Bars, and then figure out what size cargo box would fit within our parking garage.

Even though our parking garage has a 7'10" clearance, most parking garages I've encountered are closer to 7'2" or lower. Knowing that there are a lot of options when it comes to cargo boxes, I had strict guidelines - I wanted something as close to or under 12" from crossbar height (to stay under 7' total height), something long enough to carry 185cm skis, and enough capacity to help alleviate trunk cargo space when traveling or carrying camping/skiing gear.

There were only a few options that met the height requirement. The Inno Wedge 660 - runs roughly 9.6" off crossbar height with 11cuft of storage and enough diagonal length to fit up to 190cm skis. I loved the size, but the swoop/exterior spoiler at the end of the box didn't match the look or body lines of the Trailhawk, IMO. The Thule Pulse Alpine box was only ~10" off crossbar, long enough for 200+cm skis, but was way too long for everyday tailgate use. I measured on the roof of the Jeep and without having the box physically there, I'm almost certain there would be tailgate interference.

The box I settled on was the Inno Shadow Series 16. It measures 12.4" off crossbar, long enough to hold 190cm skis diagonal and 13+cuft to help out on the bulky items.

All measurements were taken when the tires were at 37psi, no weight inside, surprisingly flat ground, and after taking it for a rip around the block. All measurements rounded up a 1/4" (being extra cautious for height clearance).

Top Height of Mopar/Thule Cross Bar:
Front: 70.50"
Rear: 70.25"
Max Crossbar Spread (front to rear): 33.00"
Height of Mopar/Thule Footpack & Aerobar: 2.50"

Top of Roof Rails (No Cross Bars):
Front: 68.00"
Rear: 67.75"

Height at Wheel Well:
Front Driver: 32.50"
Front Pass: 32.25"
Rear Driver: 33.50"
Rear Pass: 33.50"

With the 70.50" total rack height and the Inno 16 box at 12.50", I'll be sitting at 6' 11", on paper. The wheel well measurements aren't relevant other than extra data. I do plan on a 2" lift and 245/70 within the next 6 months, which would potentially raise me up another 2.5", sitting just below the 7'2" mark.

The Inno box is on order and hopefully will be here before March. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
Olive Green 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
152 Posts
After searching for the real-world exterior height of the Trailhawk and finding nothing, I wanted to note my findings to hopefully help someone else who is searching in the future.

The background for this - My main goal for our '21 Trailhawk is to be a more-than-capable vehicle to get us to great dispersed camping spots, trailheads in the summer and winter, mild to moderate off-roading, and back and forth to work every day. A great way to maximize space is to add a rooftop cargo box. I needed dimensions to make sure I could fit the stock Trailhawk, Mopar/Thule Cross Bars, and then figure out what size cargo box would fit within our parking garage.

Even though our parking garage has a 7'10" clearance, most parking garages I've encountered are closer to 7'2" or lower. Knowing that there are a lot of options when it comes to cargo boxes, I had strict guidelines - I wanted something as close to or under 12" from crossbar height (to stay under 7' total height), something long enough to carry 185cm skis, and enough capacity to help alleviate trunk cargo space when traveling or carrying camping/skiing gear.

There were only a few options that met the height requirement. The Inno Wedge 660 - runs roughly 9.6" off crossbar height with 11cuft of storage and enough diagonal length to fit up to 190cm skis. I loved the size, but the swoop/exterior spoiler at the end of the box didn't match the look or body lines of the Trailhawk, IMO. The Thule Pulse Alpine box was only ~10" off crossbar, long enough for 200+cm skis, but was way too long for everyday tailgate use. I measured on the roof of the Jeep and without having the box physically there, I'm almost certain there would be tailgate interference.

The box I settled on was the Inno Shadow Series 16. It measures 12.4" off crossbar, long enough to hold 190cm skis diagonal and 13+cuft to help out on the bulky items.

All measurements were taken when the tires were at 37psi, no weight inside, surprisingly flat ground, and after taking it for a rip around the block. All measurements rounded up a 1/4" (being extra cautious for height clearance).

Top Height of Mopar/Thule Cross Bar:
Front: 70.50"
Rear: 70.25"
Max Crossbar Spread (front to rear): 33.00"
Height of Mopar/Thule Footpack & Aerobar: 2.50"

Top of Roof Rails (No Cross Bars):
Front: 68.00"
Rear: 67.75"

Height at Wheel Well:
Front Driver: 32.50"
Front Pass: 32.25"
Rear Driver: 33.50"
Rear Pass: 33.50"

With the 70.50" total rack height and the Inno 16 box at 12.50", I'll be sitting at 6' 11", on paper. The wheel well measurements aren't relevant other than extra data. I do plan on a 2" lift and 245/70 within the next 6 months, which would potentially raise me up another 2.5", sitting just below the 7'2" mark.

The Inno box is on order and hopefully will be here before March. Pics to follow.
I know its still a ways away, but when you have it installed, post some photos. I'm curious to see how it looks

Reactions: Schwalbe223
1 - 2 of 2 Posts