2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

2021 Cherokee Trailhawk with 2.0T?

6K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  COJeff 
#1 ·
Anyone knows why there is no option for a Trailhawk with the 2.0T anymore ?

Thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately there is no longer a 2.0T option for the TH. I’m assuming there’s plenty of 3.2L laying around. There definitely isn’t a lack of 2.0T engines either, they’re just going into different models. Also assuming that many didn’t opt for the 2.0T low sales figures could factor into that. The TH is standard with the 3.2L Pentastar for the 2021MY. The Latitude Lux, 80th Year Anniversary, Limited, and High Altitude (2.0T standard on HA) trims can be had with the 2.0T in the United States. Hopefully someone can provide a better answer.
I see you’re in Canada, so the trims with the optional/standard 2.0T will vary.
Here’s a brochure for Canada:
Jeep 2021 Cherokee

#4 ·
They pulled it in 2021. If I had to guess, it either has to do with the chip shortage or low sales, or maybe both. I have the 2L in a 19 TH and absolutely love it. I guess time will tell if they bring it back.

#6 ·
Still puzzling to me, best damn Jeep engine in almost a couple decades.
I owned a 4-oh MJ Comanche and Grand, as well as a 4.7 Grand. They were both awesome engines, but the 2.0T puts a grin on my face every time I touch the start button.😁 And you literally just touch the start button, it doesn't spin over, just ignites like a jet engine.

#8 ·
My guess is that there were two primary reasons:
  1. Simplifying the model lineup. This is partially related to pandemic-caused shortages and production problems. Reducing the number of configurations makes life a little easier for Jeep. Maybe people here haven't noticed, but another 2021 limitation is that the V6 is not available in the High Altitude trim. In past years, it was. Now, if you want a High Altitude, it's the turbo or nothing. While I don't think the HA trim is a particularly big seller, this is another example of product streamlining.
  2. Ensuring an adequate supply of the 2.0T engine for other applications, such as the 4xe Wrangler (standard), the regular Wrangler (optional), and probably the forthcoming 4xe Grand Cherokee.

#9 ·
Just a guess on my part... but looking at what members here have, I'd venture the 2.0T was sold more in THs than any other KL trim. We know it's off-road capable even though the V6 might have a slight torque band / crawl ratio advantage. So why stop offering it in TH trim ? Your point #2 there sounds good. Keep it for other applications, sell only a few in less popular KL trims.

#11 ·
I think we've pretty much known for quite a while, FCA isn't the greatest when it comes to thinking things through where marketing is concerned. I know I've had quite a few "Wait, what???" moments...😎
Yep, and the only way to get ADII outside of the Trailhawk now is with 19" wheels. o_O
Not that that's necessarily bad, but that is also the only way to get ADII and the 2.0. o_Oo_O

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: j3r3myCs and Mark_
#12 ·
Yep, and the only way to get ADII outside of the Trailhawk now is with 19" wheels. o_O
Not that that's necessarily bad, but that is also the only way to get ADII and the 2.0. o_Oo_O
"Wait, what???"!!! That makes no sense...😎

• Haha
Reactions: Mark_ and AtlCade69
#13 ·
Look out, that guy with the shiny new 2022 ADII Lat is gonna be hitting the trails on those 225/55/19's!!! Gonna be aired down to 30psi, and killing it, probably the wheels. He's going save up for a lift, so he can fit those sweet a$$ 245/50/19's. Do they even make any A/T's in those sizes???😎

• Haha
Reactions: j3r3myCs
#16 ·
Wait, in 2021, you can get the ADII on the Lat Lux with 17", or the Limited with 19" (in addition the the TH AD Lock, of course). My bad...

Reactions: Mark_
#18 ·
You’re actually correct about not being able to get ADII with the 2.0T in the Latitude Lux trim, I’m assuming they’ve changed this recently. When ordering mine back in January you were able to get the Lat Lux with ADII and the 2.0T. As you mentioned getting ADII in the Lat Lux trim forces you to get the 3.2L. As you mentioned you do have to step up to the Limited trim to get the 2.0T with ADII then you get the 19” wheels 🥴. So in short you now have to pay well over $40k before incentives to get ADII with the 2.0T in the United States.

#17 ·
Yep, 2021 Limited with ADII is basically an Overland, but losing the leather dashboard and painted trim... (The painted trim is now only on the High Altitude)

Reactions: j3r3myCs
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.