2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 cherokee trailhawk, 2020 compass trailhawk
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, so i got a 2020 trailhawk. I love my truck. However it does some weird stuff when shifting. First of all it seems like it is slipping when you take off in second gear. In snow mode or manual setting. It slips when it shifts into third gear on almost every shift. When going uphill in third at aroind 2000 rpm if i accelerate about half pedal it will rev up and seems as though you are taking off in a stick shift from a dead stop. It still picks up speed but will slip a bit then grab ahold and take off. I have all the most recent updates and only have 4800 miles on it. Dealership said they will replace the valve body but i have heard so many stories about this making things worse. What should i do?

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
907 Posts
Replacing a valve body can be an issue, but on a high mileage car... Your Jeep is young, so it is just having break-in pains, let the dealer change it out!

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,608 Posts
Take full advantage of the warranty while you have it...It just thinks it's a CVT, sometimes they need a little slap on the ass. These transmissions are a breed of their own, and are definitely not what you're used to. You'll get used to it. What would be considered terminal activity in most, is completely normal in the infamous ZF9...😎

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Ask your Jeep dealer about "throttle body relearn".
Search this forum and you will find more information.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask your Jeep dealer about "throttle body relearn".
Search this forum and you will find more information.
I have actually had this discussion with them. They say it is calibrated right. They build custom jeeps and sell them new. I hope they are acurate but when i take it in i will ask them about it. Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4
78 Posts
Mine is a brand new 2021 Limited and it does what you say. Hard shifts once in a while. Slips for no reason from 3 to 2. Acts like an ass

·
Registered
78 Posts
Take full advantage of the warranty while you have it...It just thinks it's a CVT, sometimes they need a little slap on the ass. These transmissions are a breed of their own, and are definitely not what you're used to. You'll get used to it. What would be considered terminal activity in most, is completely normal in the infamous ZF9...😎
Love this

·
Registered
78 Posts
got an appointment on the 9th to have it checked
Let me know how it goes. Mine acts similar but all my research shows it is how the 9-speed is. And I can never get a trans issue replicated so they can witness it. They will check for codes of course and see if a flash update is available, but unless they witness it they won't go further. This happened to me with a Buick I had.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry it took so long to post again. I work alot. Lol. The dealership is going to replace my valve body. If that doesn't solve the issue they are going to look into the torque converter. Ill keep you all updated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry it took so long to post again. I work alot. Lol. The dealership is going to replace my valve body. If that doesn't solve the issue they are going to look into the torque converter. Ill keep you all updated.
They still have it. :(

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
They still have it. :(
Well that sucks!!! They could have put a whole new transmission in by now. I hope they gave you a nice loaner to drive, like a Hellcat Challenger!!!🤔

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so i got my truck back yesterday. Thought i would drive it a day before posting about it. They replaced the valve body and refulled the trans. It shifts much better. It still sounds lime it is slipping but now the engine doesn't quit pulling. It holds you back in the seat all the time now. They said the rpm fluctuation is from the torque management system. They said it can't be removed or adjusted by them. Without a loss of power im ok with the rpm weirdness. Lol. Gonna drive it a bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you notice vibrations when this was happening? I have a 2021 TH and it has less than 3000 miles on it. At 1000 miles, they replaced the brake master cylinder, HCU and brake lines. They only did that because when I took it in for the vibrations, like you , they couldn't duplicate the issue, but ended up finding the brakes were hanging up. Had it for 25 days. Didn't fix my original problem and I'm not a technician so I'm trying to find more info to present to them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, no vibration. However the exhaust does sometimes make a vibration when it bogs down due to torque management. It is a heat shield on the bottom of the truck. Not a big deal and not worth spending time or money to fix but it is there. Seems to be on the 2020-2021 models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just spoke to a tech. They think it is actually the TCM on my vehicle, but very similar experiences. Going in next week to see for sure.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
No, no vibration. However the exhaust does sometimes make a vibration when it bogs down due to torque management. It is a heat shield on the bottom of the truck. Not a big deal and not worth spending time or money to fix but it is there. Seems to be on the 2020-2021 models.
If a heat shield is rattling, I would definitely have that fixed under warranty. That would drive me insane!!!😎

1 - 20 of 29 Posts