2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

2020 TrailHawk Thump Thump Noise

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Gary Kline 
#1 ·
I am getting a thumping noise in my jeep. Coming from the mid to rear section of the car. Not the engine.
Seems to happen at low mph (5-30) and when engine is cold. Goes away when mph goes higher.
Had it checked at the dealer. They heard the noise but could not diagnose the problem. They charged me $170 and said come back when it gets louder ornsomething😩

anyone have any thoughts about what this could be.

I could capture a video of the noise and post if needed.

#2 ·
I am getting a thumping noise in my jeep. Coming from the mid to rear section of the car. Not the engine.
Seems to happen at low mph (5-30) and when engine is cold. Goes away when mph goes higher.
Had it checked at the dealer. They heard the noise but could not diagnose the problem. They charged me $170 and said come back when it gets louder ornsomething😩

Hi, and welcome from Utah. Wow, "Come back when it gets louder. That will be $170 please..." Really??? You should find another dealer. Yes, maybe a quick video of the sound might help narrow it down. You've definitely come to the right place...😎

#3 ·

Welcome from Nevada! Agreed a video will be very helpful. Then we can narrow down the possibilities.

#5 ·
just thinking outloud

on acceleration?
while braking?
going over speed bumps?
while transmission is shifting?
while turning?
completely gone after the engine reaches a certain temp? what temp?
does it happen in reverse?
is a one a day thing?
does it ever NOT happen?
can you always duplicate it?
smooth roads?
bumpy roads?
suspension?
engine?
transmission?

I had a weird thumping / popping sound & sensation. wound up being a small rocked wedged in a front suspension component. eventually popped out or broke apart & fell out on it's own

#7 ·
I have had something similar occur...Typically happens when the vehicle is warming up and is moving at speeds less than 40mph...Does not happen frequently, maybe 3 or 4 times per month...In my case, roads are in relatively good condition, and the noise is in the same area as you are describing...I have checked mounts, links, shafts etc...I think it's in the auto transmission, has not gotten any louder or more frequent...mine is a 2019 Trail Hawk Elite 3.2...I've resigned myself to, "Its just one of those electronic quirky things in an auto transmission as it changes gears when still relatively cold" I have travel more than 55K miles to-date, with a blend of local and long distance trips (650+ miles) Maybe a cold slug of ATF?

#8 · (Edited)
Watch what gear you are in and if it's a gear change when you hear the thump. The 948TE transmission has two "dog clutches". The dog clutches are spline teeth, not friction discs, and do sound a little different. There's an "A" dog clutch that changes on 7-8 gear (probably not what you are hearing), and the "F" dog clutch that changes on 4-5 gear.

On mine, I can tell the 4-5 shift especially when the engine is cold. It's not a "thump", but it is a little different. Maybe that's what you are hearing?

#10 ·
If so, take it to them. Document everything and keep taking it back as necessary until they make it right. While there have been some reports of transmission failures, they're nothing like the PTU failures. And any of these parts can be expensive. If you have a warranty you want to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.