2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

Registered
Oh, your 12.1 reading was while in accessory mode? Then that's a different animal and it's probably not unusual to get that reading.

EDIT: Just tried it, mine dropped to 12.2.

Reactions: arudlang and Mark_

Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
More cool news, I had the battery charger on all day and fired it up at 8 PM to bring it to the service lot to chill overnight. -8 out at the time, and despite having a fully toppled off 13.3v battery from being on the charger all day the car still shut off after running for about 4 seconds. Must be those relays!

Tomorrow I will drive back to the service lot when it's time for my appointment and show them in-person. Supposed to be about -22 so... that should do it 馃ザ

Registered
More cool news, I had the battery charger on all day and fired it up at 8 PM to bring it to the service lot to chill overnight. -8 out at the time, and despite having a fully toppled off 13.3v battery from being on the charger all day the car still shut off after running for about 4 seconds. Must be those relays!

Tomorrow I will drive back to the service lot when it's time for my appointment and show them in-person. Supposed to be about -22 so... that should do it 馃ザ
Tell them about a technical service bulletin on the relay issue. I'm sure you've been keeping track here :

Registered
Talked to the guys in the service department this morning and they were well aware of the TSB on those relays. They said they had seen a lot of cars in the same boat this week and they have a large quantity of relays on order, but they had already used up all they had on-hand. They are expecting their order of relays to come in Monday or Tuesday, and we don't have much going on this weekend so we opted to just leave it with them so we don't have to coordinate another trip down there to drop it off again. Bit of a drive for us from home.

Meanwhile at -22F (at least) this morning the trusty Compass fired up on remote start even with its original 4-year-old batteries. It cranked very slowly and pitifully, but it did fire and was all good once warmed up. Pretty confident my 300,844 mile CRV with its crusty, 6-year-old walmart everstart battery would go right now if I wanted it to as well. Can't wait until our 2020 with less than 10k miles can do the same!

Registered
Hey guys,not too impressed at the moment with this Jeep.Wife went to start it this morning(-23C,-29 with the wind chill)and it wouldn't stay running.Would run for a few seconds then shut off.Tow truck operator is picking it up and bringing it to the dealer tm morning.3 months old,not impressed.
Hey there, just wanted to let you know, even though it's not "official" just yet, there's a recall on the relay switch. I just got a 2020 trailhawk and the exact same thing was happening. Truck wouldn't stay running, lagging, not starting in cold temps. I called the dealership, was given a rental for free and the repair was made. Good luck with your vehicle!

Registered
My wife picked up our Cherokee end of last week after our dealership finally got some new relays in, the paperwork it was sent home with does not mention any TSB, just says "replaced run start relay". Of course its been a lot warmer lately, its 41 degrees today so we don't have any way of knowing its fixed for sure until we get another deep cold snap which could be next week or might not happen till next winter, hard to say. For the moment the car seems fine.

Registered
So 'Song Chaun' came up with the lowest bid for that relay and now what little savings Jeep got by purchasing them, are now being more than offset by having to put new relays in. Duh! 馃檮

Registered
So 'Song Chaun' came up with the lowest bid for that relay and now what little savings Jeep got by purchasing them, are now being more than offset by having to put new relays in. Duh! 馃檮
I blame FCA/Parent company mostly. They are really running the Jeep brand downhill the last however many years. If someone rear-ends and totals one of our Jeeps tomorrow I can tell you pretty much for sure that we would be going to test drive some other brands at the very least. We have high hopes for the new Ford Bronco & Bronco Sport vehicles.

Registered
I blame FCA/Parent company mostly. They are really running the Jeep brand downhill the last however many years. If someone rear-ends and totals one of our Jeeps tomorrow I can tell you pretty much for sure that we would be going to test drive some other brands at the very least. We have high hopes for the new Ford Bronco & Bronco Sport vehicles.
Mind if I ask why you purchased a 2020 Jeep then ?

Registered
Mind if I ask why you purchased a 2020 Jeep then ?
Rant time, since you asked ;)

We love most of our Compass, its so comfortable and sharp-looking and when its all working its great, but have had so many reliability issues with it that we hoped were attributable to it being one of the very first of the MP series to roll off the assembly line and perhaps its Fiat roots and country of assembly, its lower price, etc. We perceived that the Cherokee KL would surely be much more solid and reliable since its assembled in the united states and its been in production since 2014, and 25% more expensive to boot. For the most part our assumptions were correct, the mature KL product is leaps better than our MP in every regard, but somehow it still ended up that our KL gave us a scare that we and two friends were going to be stranded in rural Wisconsin frigid weather at an AirBnB we had just checked out from and locked ourselves out of, and then happened a bunch more times that the Cherokee had to go to the dealership for almost a week over this stupid relay issue.

This may be only the first (major) strike for our KL, but we're more sensitive to issues because of how many weeks the MP has been in the shop for similarly aggravating failures that never should have happened. Its a brand frustration at this point. Buying the KL signified us extending a second chance to the Jeep brand to demonstrate to us that our poor experience with reliability in our MP is not representative of the brand as a whole. If this KL doesn't stand rock-solid for us to at least 5 years/100k miles then we likely give up.

We really, really don't enjoy being embarrassed by our Jeep vehicles. I hated it when the body control computer on our Compass would temporarily loose its mind and have to try to explain to passengers why they couldn't turn their heated seat off, or having the Uconnect freeze completely and loose control of the volume (but not have music stop playing, that has actually happened in the Compass and the Cherokee both...). Uconnect freezing while trying to navigate an unfamiliar city and get to a destination, resulting in a passenger having to quick load up maps on their phone to take over giving me directions while navigating heavy traffic, not cool. Having such a poorly designed ESS system in the Compass that passengers ask "whats wrong with your car?" when it does an autostop event and the bargain-bin oil-gobbling 2.4 stumbles to a stop, and then inexplicably chudders back to life only one second later destroying any semblance of "gas saving" that the feature is supposed to do (that I "fixed" by disabling the ESS permanently). To add to that pile we really didn't enjoy loading up two of our friends and all our gear after a nice weekend of skiing in Wisconsin and having our 2020 KL take 4 uncomfortable restart attempts to stay running in -8 degree weather, and then for it to say running finally but have the dash lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights and error messages so having to explain to them "Ok, its running, but I'm going to have to shut it off and clear these error codes with my ODBII scanner otherwise I won't have the use of cruise control for the entire 500 mile trip home..."

It's just not fun having these cars and not being able to give them a glowing review and recommendation when friend's and family comment on the sharp looks and styling. We feel we have to be honest with people. Friends have asked to test drive my Compass because they were thinking about buying one but after giving them my honest recollection of my experience they end up going with a GMC Terrain or a Subaru or something else, and I can't blame them.

We don't like the looks/styling or comfort level of Hondas but we've owned two of those from new (2011 and 2016 models) that sailed to 100k miles so effortlessly with nothing but oil and tire changes, and they always started at any temperature. We have a beater CRV in the driveway that as of today has 300,944 miles on it, all original, with a nasty 6 or 7 year-old walmart everstart battery in it hardly bigger than my lawn mower battery, and event THAT miserable old clunker started the other week at -24 below in one try while our beautiful new 2020 Cherokee was doing the start/stall/error messages and check engine light nonsense. That is flat out unacceptable. Once, maybe, as a fluke but what I'm saying is our MP Compass has blown most of our trust in overall Jeep brand to start with so whats left of our trust will be easily broken if our KL ends up in the shop for anything stupid one or two more times. We bought the Cherokee because we still want to build that trust in the Jeep brand but we need the KL to make up for the MP.

Worth adding to that also, the Ford Bronco series were still pretty much unheard of/too far out on the horizon at the time that we were shopping so there was still nothing that really competed very hard with the Cherokee or the Wrangler on the market at the time. Ford has purpose-built the Bronco series to be all-out Jeep killers, the full-size Bronco blows the Wrangler away on specs and intelligent design and the smaller Bronco Sport is clearly gunning for the Cherokee and Compass both. We want the rugged, capable vehicles to support an adventure-oriented lifestyle but we also want rock-solid reliability. To us this is the one "pass" that our KL is going to get. "Bad luck with a batch of relays", whatever, something like that can happen once, but that had better be the end of it or most likely we will become Ford/Toyota/Honda people out of sheer frustration.

Registered
Rant time, since you asked ;)

We love most of our Compass, its so comfortable and sharp-looking and when its all working its great, but have had so many reliability issues with it that we hoped were attributable to it being one of the very first of the MP series to roll off the assembly line and perhaps its Fiat roots and country of assembly, its lower price, etc. We perceived that the Cherokee KL would surely be much more solid and reliable since its assembled in the united states and its been in production since 2014, and 25% more expensive to boot. For the most part our assumptions were correct, the mature KL product is leaps better than our MP in every regard, but somehow it still ended up that our KL gave us a scare that we and two friends were going to be stranded in rural Wisconsin frigid weather at an AirBnB we had just checked out from and locked ourselves out of, and then happened a bunch more times that the Cherokee had to go to the dealership for almost a week over this stupid relay issue.

This may be only the first (major) strike for our KL, but we're more sensitive to issues because of how many weeks the MP has been in the shop for similarly aggravating failures that never should have happened. Its a brand frustration at this point. Buying the KL signified us extending a second chance to the Jeep brand to demonstrate to us that our poor experience with reliability in our MP is not representative of the brand as a whole. If this KL doesn't stand rock-solid for us to at least 5 years/100k miles then we likely give up.

We really, really don't enjoy being embarrassed by our Jeep vehicles. I hated it when the body control computer on our Compass would temporarily loose its mind and have to try to explain to passengers why they couldn't turn their heated seat off, or having the Uconnect freeze completely and loose control of the volume (but not have music stop playing, that has actually happened in the Compass and the Cherokee both...). Uconnect freezing while trying to navigate an unfamiliar city and get to a destination, resulting in a passenger having to quick load up maps on their phone to take over giving me directions while navigating heavy traffic, not cool. Having such a poorly designed ESS system in the Compass that passengers ask "whats wrong with your car?" when it does an autostop event and the bargain-bin oil-gobbling 2.4 stumbles to a stop, and then inexplicably chudders back to life only one second later destroying any semblance of "gas saving" that the feature is supposed to do (that I "fixed" by disabling the ESS permanently). To add to that pile we really didn't enjoy loading up two of our friends and all our gear after a nice weekend of skiing in Wisconsin and having our 2020 KL take 4 uncomfortable restart attempts to stay running in -8 degree weather, and then for it to say running finally but have the dash lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights and error messages so having to explain to them "Ok, its running, but I'm going to have to shut it off and clear these error codes with my ODBII scanner otherwise I won't have the use of cruise control for the entire 500 mile trip home..."

It's just not fun having these cars and not being able to give them a glowing review and recommendation when friend's and family comment on the sharp looks and styling. We feel we have to be honest with people. Friends have asked to test drive my Compass because they were thinking about buying one but after giving them my honest recollection of my experience they end up going with a GMC Terrain or a Subaru or something else, and I can't blame them.

We don't like the looks/styling or comfort level of Hondas but we've owned two of those from new (2011 and 2016 models) that sailed to 100k miles so effortlessly with nothing but oil and tire changes, and they always started at any temperature. We have a beater CRV in the driveway that as of today has 300,944 miles on it, all original, with a nasty 6 or 7 year-old walmart everstart battery in it hardly bigger than my lawn mower battery, and event THAT miserable old clunker started the other week at -24 below in one try while our beautiful new 2020 Cherokee was doing the start/stall/error messages and check engine light nonsense. That is flat out unacceptable. Once, maybe, as a fluke but what I'm saying is our MP Compass has blown most of our trust in overall Jeep brand to start with so whats left of our trust will be easily broken if our KL ends up in the shop for anything stupid one or two more times. We bought the Cherokee because we still want to build that trust in the Jeep brand but we need the KL to make up for the MP.

Worth adding to that also, the Ford Bronco series were still pretty much unheard of/too far out on the horizon at the time that we were shopping so there was still nothing that really competed very hard with the Cherokee or the Wrangler on the market at the time. Ford has purpose-built the Bronco series to be all-out Jeep killers, the full-size Bronco blows the Wrangler away on specs and intelligent design and the smaller Bronco Sport is clearly gunning for the Cherokee and Compass both. We want the rugged, capable vehicles to support an adventure-oriented lifestyle but we also want rock-solid reliability. To us this is the one "pass" that our KL is going to get. "Bad luck with a batch of relays", whatever, something like that can happen once, but that had better be the end of it or most likely we will become Ford/Toyota/Honda people out of sheer frustration.
Fair enough.

I'd be tempted to say the 2020 KL relay situation is a fluke and you should be relatively fine going forward. The Cherokee isn't the most reliable, but repairs are usually done on expected items like batteries, suspension, brakes, and... driveshafts ? Sometimes an oil filter housing (3.2) or motor mounts (2.4), etc...
I've had quite a bit of warranty work done on mine, hoping to get some trouble-free miles now that the warranties are over. Hoping you have better luck in the future..

61 - 73 of 73 Posts