2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,not too impressed at the moment with this Jeep.Wife went to start it this morning(-23C,-29 with the wind chill)and it wouldn't stay running.Would run for a few seconds then shut off.Tow truck operator is picking it up and bringing it to the dealer tm morning.3 months old,not impressed.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Hey guys,not too impressed at the moment with this Jeep.Wife went to start it this morning(-23C,-29 with the wind chill)and it wouldn't stay running.Would run for a few seconds then shut off.Tow truck operator is picking it up and bringing it to the dealer tm morning.3 months old,not impressed.
Hi,

Was this a remote start ? If so, was there a check engine light condition ? Low gas perhaps ?

Edit to add : my 2015 V6 starts right up down to -32C, no block heater.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just adding a little more detail of Mark's reply to you.

By design, If you remote start your Jeep and you don't have much gas in it, the Jeep will start up, run for about 10 seconds and then shutdown. I had a WTH moment the first time I experienced it. :)

If any engine fault is present at a remote start, it will do the same thing. That is why he asked about a check engine light.

If you aren't remote starting it, then I have no idea. And for what's it worth, I've went thru 2 winters with my 2019 and it has no trouble starting up in brutally cold weather.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Mark_

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas tank is full I filled it last night,not overfull either I always tell them when it clicks off don't put anymore.Not sure if the cel was on,wife said there was a bunch of messages on the display.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Gas tank is full I filled it last night,not overfull either I always tell them when it clicks off don't put anymore.Not sure if the cel was on,wife said there was a bunch of messages on the display.
Thanks.

This is what I would do, before getting it towed : try starting it with you in the Jeep, with the push button (or fob if you don't have keyless). It should start and stay alive. Next, keep your eyes open for any warning light or message, note them down if applicable, or take a pic with your phone (even better). Let it run for 5 minutes, so you recharge the battery a bit or, just take it for a short drive, if it'll let you.

Having information for the dealership would be nice, hence you taking the extra steps to possibly identify the problem ; it'll make their job easier. Avoiding a tow is also nice, if you can.

As @Lindy mentionned : a check engine light condition will shut down a remote started Cherokee a few seconds after it fired up, which is why I asked.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
You're probsably in bed by now, I'm going soon, but wanted to share one similar experience, just in case and FYI :

Three winters ago, I had problems with a freezing heater blower motor. It froze a few times because... some snow got into the cowling below the passenger side wiper (that's where the heater/ventilation gets its fresh air from), the snow melted a bit and then froze ; problem was when it froze, it did so directly on the blower squirrel cage and seized it. This situation caused a CEL and, guess what, failed remote starts. Took me a while to figure it out, but eventually I stopped using the leaf blower to clear snow from the Cherokee, because... I probably forced a whole bunch of snow down that cowling... I also got pretty good at using a blow dryer to thaw/unseize the squirrel cage (blower), because it happened once or twice after that. Hasn't happened the last two winters.

So yeah, CEL conditions can be many things, but they will 100% cut a remote start short. Find the cause, fix cause and remote start will be back online. You can of course let the dealership figure this all out, it's warranty work after all. It's just nice to be in the know.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thx Mark,I haven't heard yet from the dealer,gonna give them a call tm see what's going on.
Like @Mark_ said, even the most minimal of cause for a CEL will cause the remote starts to shut down after a few seconds. You never said if you were able to start it up from inside, without the remote, or if you even had a CEL. Please keep us posted!!!😎

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't start from inside the vehicle either.I called them this morning they told me there was a loose connection at the battery.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Wouldn't start from inside the vehicle either.I called them this morning they told me there was a loose connection at the battery.
Really ? I often mention loose battery connections when folks come in here with similar problems, but I didn't mention it here. Guess I didn't expect a loose connection on a 2020 KL. Loose connections usually occur once someone removes the battery for whatever reason ; guess I'll have to keep a more open mind from now on...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for posting the update. Glad it was something simple!

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Was this a remote start ? If so, was there a check engine light condition ? Low gas perhaps ?
Check out post #2 ; you seem to have copy/pasted my exact questions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys the saga continues.Dealer called me yesterday and said my Cherokkee was good to go.Called them this morning to let them know I was leaving to go pick it up,and guess what?Still doing the same thing!It was mild the last 4 or 5 days so it was starting ok,this morning it was -14 and it wouldn't stay running.Buddy on the phone told me there was another Cherokee brought in same day as mine with the same issue.Their in consultations with Jeep to try and figure it out,NOT impressed.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well guys the saga continues.Dealer called me yesterday and said my Cherokkee was good to go.Called them this morning to let them know I was leaving to go pick it up,and guess what?Still doing the same thing!It was mild the last 4 or 5 days so it was starting ok,this morning it was -14 and it wouldn't stay running.Buddy on the phone told me there was another Cherokee brought in same day as mine with the same issue.Their in consultations with Jeep to try and figure it out,NOT impressed.
I'll tell you what I tell everyone else that's not satisfied with the service from the dealer, and that's, find a different dealer. That's all you can do. All service centers are not created equal!!!

Reactions: OhareFred

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Is there a check engine light when you start it manually ?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sounds like my 1963 VW when the automatic choke didn't work.
When it is cold the engine needs a richer fuel mixture so it will run as compared to when it is warm outside.
The outside temperature is sent to the PCM so it can provide the correct fuel/air mixture to the engine for combustion.
The tech needs to use his scan tool to find out what the PCM thinks the outside air temperature is.
All of the modules are communicating with each other over the two CAN busses.
If they are not getting the correct information from a sensor, or there is a failure to communicate, or the software has a glitch or the CAN busses don't work correctly the Jeep won't work.
It is up to the tech to figure it out. That is why they get factory training.

I had a similar problem. My Jeep ran really bad.
Replaced the wheel speed sensor, I drove 3 miles and had the same problem.
When the tech finally used the Witech he found the wheel speed signal was erratic.
The tone ring was broken. Replace the hub, problem solved.
There was nothing wrong with the wheel speed sensor.

Find a factory trained mechanic at a Jeep dealership who knows what he is doing.
This is an impossible mission. We as consumers have no way of figuring this out.
In the USA we have ASE Certified mechanics who are trained for various systems and hopefully know what they are doing.
Probably Canada has something similar.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Any chance you have a blinking red circle light in the tach area when trying to start it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts