2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering for a while what is causing the vibration in my Jeep. No codes at all since new. Started noticing it around 8K. Been chasing it since. Starts about 70mph on the highway, gradually gets worse with speed. Feel it in my back, legs, arms, face, seat, steering wheel, middle console vibrates, front passenger seat shakes side to side, can see head rest shake real bad. Can hear vibration inside the cabin. Gas pedal sometimes vibrates on my foot.

I have an appointment this coming Friday, at the dealer, they are going to put on a vibration tool to find out where the vibration is coming from.

Mind you, I had the RDM replaced about 3 weeks ago. No change.

Factory tires were checked for balance, road force balanced, no change. Got new tires, at 16K, Falken Wildpeak A/T's, checked balance, road force balanced, no change. Ruled out the tires.

Pulled out driveshaft, went for ride, no change. With and without F10 fuse pulled.

Hard shift between 1-2. TCM was updated back in March of this year. Smooth for a month or so, back again. Hard shift between 3-4. Knocks in gear between 3-4 when foot is off gas and coasting, can hear it. 4-5 hard shift also. Dog clutch shift. Sometimes hard felt downshift from 8-7, 7-6, when pulling my 1,000lb trailer with lawn tractor, etc.

Thinking either transmission is defective, i.e., not balanced, bearings, or something in the PTU isn't balanced.

It has 29K, almost 30K on it. 98% highway.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had it checked before and after getting new tires. It's spot on. Doesn't pull or anything. Goes down the road straight.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,574 Posts
If it's not a tire out of balance, it has to be drive shaft, or axle threw a weight off or something. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the driveshaft out. Still does it. All weights are still on. Thinking possibly defective CV Half Shafts, transmission, or PTU. No wheel bearing noise or play.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CV Axles are not weighted from the factory.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,290 Posts
As to tires, I have had tires, in the past, that will be in perfect balance, but have a physical defect that caused them to exhibit vibrations at certain speeds. These are extremely hard to detect when balancing, yet can be very noticeable when driving. Many times, the only way to isolate, is to move the tire/wheel to another position on the vehicle and see what effect it has. A slightly dented rim can also do this. :cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires and wheels have been ruled out. Wheels are in perfect condition. Had the Factory Firestone Destination LE2's when bought new. Had vibration with those tires. Still have same vibration with the Falken Wildpeak tires. Dealer replaced RDM, service manager thought it was that causing it. Wasn't. Obviously a drivetrain related issue. Vibration present with driveshaft removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts