2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2019 TH with the new 2.0T and was wondering if anyone has done mods to make it faster and less laggy at low rpms. I understand thats what a turbo does but I want to change it. comment your ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
I have the 2019 TH with the new 2.0T and was wondering if anyone has done mods to make it faster and less laggy at low rpms. I understand thats what a turbo does but I want to change it. comment your ideas.
Tuning is not yet available and may not ever be. I don't have access to a 2019 to get a read of the PCM and TCM files to send to HP tuners. 2018+ vehicles also require (in addition to an unlocked PCM) a cable which allows the OBD2 port to be useable by HP Tuners

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just thinking out loud: Have you tried Sport Mode? Might make things a little more responsive.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Premium gas and low-profile tires are about it. I don't know if you added octane booster or some race-gas if the computer would adjust for it?

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Octane boost isnt going to help it go much if any faster. The computer is only programmed to request so much boost & timing. If its pulling timing you might see a gain with octane boost but unless you data log it,it will be impossible to know

·
Registered
863 Posts
Tuning is not yet available and may not ever be. I don't have access to a 2019 to get a read of the PCM and TCM files to send to HP tuners. 2018+ vehicles also require (in addition to an unlocked PCM) a cable which allows the OBD2 port to be useable by HP Tuners
FCA are trying real hard to prevent people from tinkering on their vehicles. The big question I have then is why? What purpose does it serve? If someone does so, and voids the warranty, then that's only a bonus for FCA since they wouldn't have to pay out anything to dealers. And if it's a liability standpoint, if someone tinkers with their car, then the fault falls back onto the owner at that point.

Compared to what cars used to be, this just appears to be something that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But perhaps this is what the future may hold for cars. No longer will we be able to modify our cars, and especially with electric fast approaching, it might only get worse.

The only other reasoning I can come up with is the realm of hacking, and being able to control the car remotely ala that UConnect scare a few years ago.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We are going out and this time we will be using unleaded vp109 mixed with 91 50/50 race gas just to see if the extra oxygen will help make a few more hp. 91 gas in ca only has 1.8% oxygen and vp109 has 6.3%. It really helped my 2012 srt8 that was bone stock. If it does help the next time we will try 100% vp109. I like to try diff things just to see what happends and i have surprised my self lol.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
FCA are trying real hard to prevent people from tinkering on their vehicles. The big question I have then is why? What purpose does it serve? If someone does so, and voids the warranty, then that's only a bonus for FCA since they wouldn't have to pay out anything to dealers. And if it's a liability standpoint, if someone tinkers with their car, then the fault falls back onto the owner at that point.

Compared to what cars used to be, this just appears to be something that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But perhaps this is what the future may hold for cars. No longer will we be able to modify our cars, and especially with electric fast approaching, it might only get worse.

The only other reasoning I can come up with is the realm of hacking, and being able to control the car remotely ala that UConnect scare a few years ago.
HP Tuners just released their 2019 Chrysler supported vehicle list. They are constantly adding support for new vehicles. Ultimately though the cherokee platform is not a platform people chose to go fast on (Only me) so getting that support isn't really going to be easy unless someone else steps up and buys the HP Tuners module and access cable for their 2019 and does a read to see if its supported. I'm not buying a 2019 anytime soon so someone else should take the reigns.

You can put as much race gas as you want into your vehicle, but your are really not going to achieve much. its doesn't matter if <insert SRT8 or whatever vehicle> saw gains as it was likely modified. As I keep saying the computer will only ever command a certain amount of boost and you can't change that without an unlocked PCM. I eagerly await your results but I don't think its going to be the magic potion to make it go a lot faster. I would focus on keeping the engine cool as turbo's like to run hot and that 2.0 especially

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would focus on keeping the engine cool as turbo's like to run hot and that 2.0 especially.
I'd love to see something similar to the JKU Hard Rock hood for the Cherokee... just because. >:D

This would be pretty difficult to do, though, with our 2-layer hood.

Reactions: PunkTexas

·
Registered
676 Posts
you bought the heaviest trim, you could trade it in on a fwd limited.
or go get a hemi grand cherokee.
not much going on with a first year engine.

Since its going into the wrangler (with etorque though)
It might end up being popular enough for a company to work on mods.

I dont find it slow, but it is a 4500lb vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
you bought the heaviest trim, you could trade it in on a fwd limited.
or go get a hemi grand cherokee.
not much going on with a first year engine.

Since its going into the wrangler (with etorque though)
It might end up being popular enough for a company to work on mods.

I dont find it slow, but it is a 4500lb vehicle.
The thing is the Hemi Grand Cherokees aren't much faster than the cherokees, Car and Driver results

2014 Hemi GC [email protected] Weighs 5300lbs 0-60 6.5s
2014 ADI Limited V6 [email protected] Weighs 4100lbs 0-60 6.9s

In terms of mods, HP Tuners just released their 2019 FCA supported vehicles, but the cherokee isn't included.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The thing is the Hemi Grand Cherokees aren't much faster than the cherokees, Car and Driver results

2014 Hemi GC [email protected] Weighs 5300lbs 0-60 6.5s
2014 ADI Limited V6 [email protected] Weighs 4100lbs 0-60 6.9s

In terms of mods, HP Tuners just released their 2019 FCA supported vehicles, but the cherokee isn't included.

I stand corrected.. would have to get the srt-8 model or the trackhawk for the GC.

I wouldnt expect 2019 vehicles with a new first year engine to be supported by tuners. I expect if it is going to happen it will be after they sell a metric crapton of wranglers with the 2.0

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
interesting find about Octane and the 2.0 Turbo. This was found on the JL Wrangler Forum. It was sent out to revise the octane recommendation in the owners manual.

High load or temperatures = should be using premium.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well, I'll be dipped in sheets!

This is fresh out of the "4th Edition V1" KL manual. Kinda changes the equation a bit, no?

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
The question then is, how much of a higher octane will it adjust for? If 91 gives noticeably better performance than 87 (not surprising for a turbo engine, IMO), then what about 95... 98...105...??

·
Registered
676 Posts

This is fresh out of the "4th Edition V1" KL manual. Kinda changes the equation a bit, no?

here is the older one from late last year for comparison..

seems like they have downgraded the recommendation for 91 octane to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts

It's a revision, but not a major one. I have the 4th Edition before the V1.
The old version showed the graphic with 91 octane, but stated:

This engine is designed to meet all emission
regulations, and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance
when using high-quality unleaded
“Regular” gasoline having a posted octane
number of 87 as specified by the
(R+M)/2 method. For optimal performance
the use of 91 or higher octane “Premium” gasoline
is recommended in these engines.

So 87 is OK, but 91 recommended.
They softened to verbiage to indicate 87 is the minimum, but :