2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The better Garmin camera is in front, 66w, and it’s tethered through the Garmin app to the rear dash cam mini, I have their parking mode cable in both cameras. The front grabs the constant hot and ignition hot to the right of the gas pedal ( there is a thread on it) and I converted the rear 12v plug to constant hot, and ran a wire down the drivers side trim to the rear camera for ignition hot. I also posted the. Thread where I fished the mini usb plug through the back door panel. That sucked, it looks like it paid off. I was reading the police report last night and the Kia driver was cited for going to fast for the conditions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seeing how the body is bent downward from the rear windows and back . . .

I agree with jcool001985, its totaled.

They could fix it cosmetically but it wouldn't be safe or trouble-free.

Definitely not something you would want to own.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sucks as we immediately paid it off when we bought it and got the lifetime warranty on it, I’ll have to find out if that is partially refundable after what the insurance rep says

·
Registered
96 Posts
After watching your rear cam video,

I'm really surprised that you didn't suffer neck and/or back injuries.

I would have a CT scan done ASAP.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I feel for ya and I'm afraid they will total your Jeep. Glad you weren't hurt!

I hate seeing things like this. Everyone except for her appear to be going slow and then she comes flying down the road on an icy bridge. What the hell was she thinking? Grrrrrrr... 😠

Crashes like this should never happen in the first place and I've seen too many of them over the years. Sigh....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Steering compromised, rear door doesn't shut well, rear hitch pushed in, etc all point to unibody subframe damage. You don't want this fixed, trust me, the Jeep will never be the same and you will have issues with it as long as you own it after the repair.

Remember the insurance isn't there to make your Jeep good as new, they are there to repair it to industry acceptable standards. It isn't that the Jeep can't be fixed, it is that they won't pay enough to do the repair the right way.

Call your insurance and push them to total the Jeep or push the other driver's insurance to total the Jeep (depending on what type of insurance you have in your state), then push them to go after the at fault driver for a diminished value claim if your state allows it.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
206 Posts
Washington is an at-fault state, you should be able to get her insurance company to make you whole - include the value of the lifetime warranty, the towing setup, rental and any other expenses, and lost wages. If their insurance lowballs you or tries to give you a hard time, get a lawyer, that will be on their dime too.

You could do a national search for a similar (or better equipped) CPO Trailhawk + delivery to you or your local dealer...

Reactions: UN4GTBL and XJ99

·
Registered
710 Posts
8mph, I assume the at-fault driver must have been going faster to generate that much damage. But maybe not, I continue to be surprised by the poor quality of materials that make a cherokee compared to my last vehicle (jaguar).

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
8mph, I assume the at-fault driver must have been going faster to generate that much damage. But maybe not, I continue to be surprised by the poor quality of materials that make a cherokee compared to my last vehicle (jaguar).
Did you not see the dashcam footage? OP was slowing to a stop, and the Kia looks to be sliding at a good 25mph maybe??? That was a pretty good wallop!!! I'm actually pretty impressed with the way his Trailhawk took the hit...Glad everyone is ok. I feel a little safer...😎

·
Registered
206 Posts
Corner on to Center, that's how battering rams do the most damage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
They didn’t get a wrecker out to pick it up today, so it goes tomorrow morning the right rear tire is visibly out of alignment, I was able to open the rear hatch to remove personal items, but not able to close it, the spare tire hold down tore the welds from the floor the floor under the spare tire is all crumpled, the plastic cover over the right rear shell sell is all cracked up, I’m really curious what the quote will be. We picked a local body shop we’ve used before and will work with them, I’m hoping the car gets totaled, as I’m not sure I’d want to tow this behind an rv now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As to a replacement, we had the trailhawk elite, with the technology package, wish it have nav, but can see why it isn’t bad without it. The current models seemed to have changed a bit

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't talk directly to Her Insurance company ! Let your Insurance Company, or Attorney if necessary, deal with them.
Your Insurance company will most likely get this settled to your satisfaction with the least amount of hassle.

Copied from post #27
............ you should be able to get her insurance company to make you whole - include the value of the lifetime warranty, the towing setup, rental and any other expenses, and lost wages. If their insurance lowballs you or tries to give you a hard time, get a lawyer, that will be on their dime too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't talk directly to Her Insurance company ! Let your Insurance Company, or Attorney if necessary, deal with them.
Your Insurance company will most likely get this settled to your satisfaction with the least amount of hassle.

Copied from post #27
............ you should be able to get her insurance company to make you whole - include the value of the lifetime warranty, the towing setup, rental and any other expenses, and lost wages. If their insurance lowballs you or tries to give you a hard time, get a lawyer, that will be on their dime too.
EXACTLY! I have never dealt with another person's insurance in situations like these. That's the whole point of having insurance...someone that works on your behalf to make you whole.

As long as you have collision coverage, make a claim with your carrier. They'll pay for the repairs or the total loss, including the other costs you mentioned. You'll have to pay your deductible out-of-pocket, but after all is said and done, they will go after the other person's insurance (called subrogation) and 99% of the time they will recover the cost of your deductible as part of the process and cut you another check at the end.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LOL, I meant the 'collective' you, as in your agents and attorneys...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well the rollback wrecker picked it up this afternoon. At 3 I went over it with the body shop estimator, they don't know how far back the damage went behind the spare tire so they will proceed to tear into it for the estimate- they aren't sure yet if it will be a write off or not. I'm waiting to hear back from them in the next day or two to decide what happens next. I might have a bunch of spare stuff to sell.

I forgot to mention- the body shop guy pointed out damage to my left rear wheel. I hadn't really notice where I had contacted the guy next to me. but the wheel was clearly damaged, and probably added side impact issues to the PTU. The dash had the amber indicator issues lit up when I brought it home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While heading out today from west bound highway 18 getting onto south bound i5 in Federal Way Washington this morning when it was 31 degrees out and were slowing down and changing lanes for an accident ahead when we here going about 8 mph per the dash cam video when we were hid hard from behind. It shoved the hitched back into the space behind and really broke the back door up. The right rear door doesn’t close well, and the steering wheel is off center now. No one was hurt, but we’ll find out next week in the car. I’m wondering if this will get fixed or totaled. We have 25k on it and had the lifetime warranty on it. All set up for rv towing too.

you can see a wrinkle in the right rear quarter panel too

if you look close at the first photo you can see part of the Kia license plate cover pinched above the right exhaust tip. And some blue part of her front bumper to the left of the receiver insert on the hitch, I pulled them out when I got home

View attachment 212935
View attachment 212936
View attachment 212937
That sucks. Glad no one was hurt. I’m surprised how the back just crumpled up t like that. I know the hatch is composite but I guess the rest is designed to absorb an impact. I like mine a lot. How fast was the hitter going?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No idea really on their speed, called the body shop, they are still tallying the damage at $9k now, should know more next week.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts