2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While heading out today from west bound highway 18 getting onto south bound i5 in Federal Way Washington this morning when it was 31 degrees out and were slowing down and changing lanes for an accident ahead when we here going about 8 mph per the dash cam video when we were hid hard from behind. It shoved the hitched back into the space behind and really broke the back door up. The right rear door doesn’t close well, and the steering wheel is off center now. No one was hurt, but we’ll find out next week in the car. I’m wondering if this will get fixed or totaled. We have 25k on it and had the lifetime warranty on it. All set up for rv towing too.

you can see a wrinkle in the right rear quarter panel too

if you look close at the first photo you can see part of the Kia license plate cover pinched above the right exhaust tip. And some blue part of her front bumper to the left of the receiver insert on the hitch, I pulled them out when I got home

·
Registered
232 Posts
Glad everyone is okay. From the looks of it and your description of the damage and seeing the force the rear took enough to mangle the trailer hitch which is mounted directly to the frame. Most likely it suffered frame damage as well. Typically when a frame is bent = totaled.

I am curious how the Kia faired. Any pictures of the other vehicle? Were they texting or distracted as to not see you?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad everyone is okay. From the looks of it and your description of the damage and seeing the force the rear took enough to mangle the trailer hitch which is mounted directly to the frame. Most likely it suffered frame damage as well. Typically when a frame is bent = totaled.

I am curious how the Kia faired. Any pictures of the other vehicle? Were they texting or distracted as to not see you?
Kia diver was going to fast for the icy bridge, our garmin dash camera caught it all, her driver side headlight hit us center rear,

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Yep glad no one got hurt... That looks like quite a bit of energy. Subframes can be replaced, but here you may have more severe damage that insurers may not want fixed. If not too serious, it'll all come down to... how much to fix vs total. If they total it, try and see if you can recup the flat tow setup (not sure you can, but worth a try), unless the insurer covers it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve been rear-ended three times in the last decade, twice in my Liberty and once in my Cherokee. All three times, my car was fine and all three times their radiators were penetrated so they had to be towed.
I’ve asked my daughter to paint kills on the side of the Cherokee like a fighter plane.

Glad you guys are ok.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Kia didn't even pop an airbag ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Come to think of it, it didn’t she drove it off too as far as I know, we all moved the cars farther off the road a few minutes later while the trooper did the report, we’ll see what our usaa does with her geico

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Never mind... the OneDrive link works ! Thanks.

Edit to add : outch...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ouch.
Remember YOU chose where you want your car repaired not the insurance company. And dont take a check from them after they say this should cover it. And make sure parts get repkaced with OEM not aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
191 Posts
Whoa! Looks like you were lucky, at the beginning of the clip, that semi looked like it could have caused some trouble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad you're ok. Do you mind telling us what camera system (Garmin model) you have? Did you install it or did the dealer? That looks like an excellent system!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kia didn't even pop an airbag ??
Both vehicles moving in the same direction at impact, the change in velocity (delta-V) of the Kia likely wasn't enough to trigger the airbag.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
908 Posts
Both vehicles moving in the same direction at impact, the change in velocity (delta-V) of the Kia likely wasn't enough to trigger the airbag.

Then again.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Then again.....
A malfunction is possible, but the Sorento wasn't listed in the recall from 2018 that you posted. I worked a lot of crashes in my career, which includes over twenty years as an accident reconstructionist, in which the airbag(s) didn't fire. In this case, the Kia was drivable which indicates the sensors apparently didn't detect enough delta-V and/or the damage wasn't severe enough in the area of the sensors to fire the airbags.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
At least you're okay, but damn! They really did a number on that steel bumper!
Wife's Lat+ has an aluminum, but I still have my steel one from the TH when
I swapped over to the tow package. Think I'll install the steel one on hers!
Not sure how the aluminum one would hold up.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts