2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few weeks, my car has occasionally taken two tries to get started. When it does fire up, my Climate is set to full OFF. I also kinda feel like this happens more often when I'm parked in the sun, even if it's not for too long.

Yesterday it finally wouldn't start at all, after many attempts it stopped cranking entirely. 'Engine too hot' message popped up as well which seemed odd, I had literally driven 10 minutes to the store and was only in there for about 20. I drove it back home after AAA jumped it and suggested to get the battery checked out.

This morning, once again, it wouldn't start at all. AAA Mobile Battery Service came by, jumped it, tested it, and said everything looks totally fine with the battery and that I just need to let it charge. So I let it idle for about 20 minutes, then drove around for another 20. During that drive, the voltage meter on the display read 14v. That was a couple hours ago, and out of curiosity, I just recently tuned on the electronics (but not the engine), and that voltage display is reading 12v.

I'm worried about trying to start it again until tomorrow when I can take it in somewhere if I need to, so I will update soon.

I've had this thing for 3 years, 52k miles on it. From other posts I've read, it sounds like I'm probably just due for a new battery. What else can I do to make sure before making that call? Any reason to believe this AAA guy is mistaken in saying that it's all good? Is it normal for the display to read 12v with the engine off?

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Welcome from Utah!!! Check all connections and grounds, and maybe get a second opinion, your friendly neighborhood auto parts store will test it for free. If you do need a new battery, most of us recommend the Northstar/X2 Power available from Batteries Plus. 5yr free replacement, and you can't beat that if you plan on keeping the car. Good luck, and keep us posted...馃槑

Registered
Yes, although you should test battery with a meter for best results.

12.3-12.7 is normal for the car reading with engine off.

When running 13.7-14.4v which is the alternator.

You probably need a battery.
A "normal" AGM is $163-$225
you need h7 or 94r (same size)

an X2 from batteries plus is 270$ and superior.

If it doesnt start but starts when jumped.... battery. you could also put it on a smart charger overnight.. 20-40min of driving isnt nearly enough.

Registered
You need to test the voltage at rest not running not in acc mode etc. 12v at rest seems low to me. Ideally you should be 12.6 or higher for a healthy battery at the battery posts with engine not running. Get yourself a good multimeter. They come in very handy for testing all sorts of things. As others said charge your battery overnight on a smart charger. Most smart chargers can detect a shorted or defective battery as well. I know when my battery died in my 2014 it read 11.6 volts. I feel your battery is on its way out.

Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
I can't imagine trusting the factory battery on these vehicles and once you start having any problems, it's time for the X2 AGM because it's not going to get better from here. Looking at the vehicle battery output - running or not - and static testing does not tell the whole story.

Premium Member
The 2018 Lat+ died with in the factory warranty. No warning, just dead.

The 2019 TH also died with in the factory warranty. No signs of failure,
except the start.stop quit working. I was cool with that when I forgot to
hit the button. LOL Took it in for an oil change and during the multi-point
inspection they said the battery looked weak. They put it on the GR8
machine and it failed. Zero signs of failing, replaced under warranty
like the 2018.

FCA Customer Support Group
Over the past few weeks, my car has occasionally taken two tries to get started. When it does fire up, my Climate is set to full OFF. I also kinda feel like this happens more often when I'm parked in the sun, even if it's not for too long.

Yesterday it finally wouldn't start at all, after many attempts it stopped cranking entirely. 'Engine too hot' message popped up as well which seemed odd, I had literally driven 10 minutes to the store and was only in there for about 20. I drove it back home after AAA jumped it and suggested to get the battery checked out.

This morning, once again, it wouldn't start at all. AAA Mobile Battery Service came by, jumped it, tested it, and said everything looks totally fine with the battery and that I just need to let it charge. So I let it idle for about 20 minutes, then drove around for another 20. During that drive, the voltage meter on the display read 14v. That was a couple hours ago, and out of curiosity, I just recently tuned on the electronics (but not the engine), and that voltage display is reading 12v.

I'm worried about trying to start it again until tomorrow when I can take it in somewhere if I need to, so I will update soon.

I've had this thing for 3 years, 52k miles on it. From other posts I've read, it sounds like I'm probably just due for a new battery. What else can I do to make sure before making that call? Any reason to believe this AAA guy is mistaken in saying that it's all good? Is it normal for the display to read 12v with the engine off?
Hi Rangus,
If you decide to have your vehicle diagnosed by your local dealer and would like additional assistance, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Jeep Cares

1 - 7 of 7 Posts