2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, disappointed in the Cherokee throwing a check engine light today and totally running like garbage. Seems to be a misfire although I have not put a scanner on it. Where is the OBD2 on these things under drivers dash like the Grand Cherokee?

What happens is the check engine light blinks goes off for a bit then back on, drives sluggishly and the auto start/stop is disabled.

The car is still under CPO, bought it 3 months ago and put on 3500 miles. Any ideas?

Recommendations?

Thanks

· Registered
803 Posts
Lots of discussions about bad battery causing weird symptoms, I would check that first

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it is a misfire on cylinder 6. The thing that sucked is that I had to take it to a jeep dealer to figure that out as my mechanics scanner could not get past the gateway. I know in MA there is a law that states 3rd party mechanics have access to codes and such. How do I get by this?

really not too happy right now

· Registered
321 Posts
I had a misfire on cylinder 6, The dealer replaced coil #6. Great for a while. A year later internal failure and had engine replaced.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
The car is still under CPO, bought it 3 months ago and put on 3500 miles. Any ideas?
Take it in and make them fix it. If you haven't exceeded 36,000 total miles, I would recommend some kind of Mopar Maxcare Warranty on any Jeep. I was lucky and was probably one of the last few to get the Lifetime MaxCare. I'm not touching or paying for anything, except the normal wear parts like brakes. I plan on keeping mine till the wheels fall off, and then I'll make them fix it, and then drive it till they fall off again...😉😎

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks @Flybynightcru i will have to look into that. But my mechanics scanner should have been able to work. Anyway since all local dealerships are booked for the next month or so Jeep said they would reimburse if I went to a 3rd party mechanic. I am doing that route. Stinks because I am finally leaving to go skiing on Friday.

My car had 49k on it when I purchased, so the maxcare option might be out. The CPO stands for certified pre-owned and that is good until 100k or 8/28/2026

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is the security gateway bypass module. I do not want to go to a dealership to check codes on my car

· Registered
2014 TH 3.2, 2" lift, 1" spacers, Steelies
261 Posts
what is the security gateway bypass module. I do not want to go to a dealership to check codes on my car
on 2019+ models, it was added to the CANBUS. To allow AlfaOBD to communicate with all modules, you need to get another piece that will allow communication. Go to the AlfaOBD site for more information for 2019+/Security Bypass Module.

· Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
229 Posts
Mark. this is the one I got but haven't used it yet. I trying to find the plastic ends so I can extend the SGM so as to not need to remove the radio when I need to use the bypass. anyone know where to buy/get them

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I did speak with Jeep Customer care and they said the would cover the repair even with a 3rd party. I have documentation stating that. Now when I send in reimbursement they state it is not a covered repair. I believe CPO which states. Would ignition coils be covered under CPO?

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The CPO also has a 3 month/3,000 mile Maximum care warranty which starts on the date of the CPOV sale. I am under 3 months and 3000 miles

· Registered
3 Posts
So it is a misfire on cylinder 6. The thing that sucked is that I had to take it to a jeep dealer to figure that out as my mechanics scanner could not get past the gateway. I know in MA there is a law that states 3rd party mechanics have access to codes and such. How do I get by this?

really not too happy right now
Hi, disappointed in the Cherokee throwing a check engine light today and totally running like garbage. Seems to be a misfire although I have not put a scanner on it. Where is the OBD2 on these things under drivers dash like the Grand Cherokee?

What happens is the check engine light blinks goes off for a bit then back on, drives sluggishly and the auto start/stop is disabled.

Recommendations?

Thanks
Hello, I had the same issue. Code said misfire cylinder 5. Dealer said was just a loose wire, all seems ok now. 👍

1 - 20 of 22 Posts