2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 Plus
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some guidance here. Have a 2019 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 plus. Two days before thanksgiving my front right tire got a flat while driving slow. I continued 50 feet into gas station parking lot and put the small spare on. Restarted car and had no power steering, no four wheel drive, and two service engine messages, Service Electronic Stability Control and Service Power Steering. Drove to tire shop and had two new front tires (they needed to be replaced) put on. ($400) They could not do an alignment until the ESC was fixed. Brought to my mechanic (not dealership) and his onboard computer codes told him to check power steering rack. Replaced that for $1600. The dealership was asking $2700. Could not get an appointment at dealership until December 30. On December 24 I checked the two new front tires and they both had the steel belts showing on the inside portion of the treads. Had two new tires put on that day. December 30 at dealership they addressed 10 codes from onboard computer and told me vehicle was fine. I was the last customer to leave that day and they closed up behind me. Driving away I could sense it was still off as the car was sliding on wet pavement, hopping on tight slow turns like 4WD does on dry pavement when turning. Called them January 3 and have appointment on the 18th. Both front tires (second new set in a month) inside portion of the tread are bare and steel belts about to come through. Has anyone had similar occurrences? Should I be paying for the 3rd set of front tires after they told me it was all set? The first service manager told me the electronic power steering went out because the computer over compensated for the small spare tire I had put on. The car had also done the same losing power while driving as other 2019 Latitude owners have mentioned. What is causing the inside tire deterioration? Alignment? Struts? Stabilizers? I don’t know anything about suspension or engines or any thing mechanical. Please help

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would guess at tire rods, ball joints, and/or alignment. I don’t understand how someone put in a new rack and didn’t check the alignment or the rest of the front end. How long did you drive on the spare? Weeks/months? Kinda suspect that the rack was really the issue, but after replacing it you still have the same issue with the front tires. Hummm.

Did you buy the second set of tires from the dealer? If not from the dealer, from who? Didn’t they suggest,at the very least, a front end alignment, if not a 4 wheel alignment?

Sounds to me like someone is taking advantage of you. If the dealer put the new front tires on, sent you out the door, and in (how long? How many miles?) the inside is showing steel belt, you better believe they would be replacing them no charge, AFTER they fix whatever the real problem is (which you will need to pay for).

Let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,889 Posts
Has this vehicle been wrecked and repaired???😎

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Driving with the donut spare, though not ideal, is doable... because if it wasn't, the Jeep wouldn't have one. The message you should get when you drive with a smaller spare is something like'Tire Mismatch 4wd performance reduced'. That's it. OP here apparently has a major issue.

Late typo edit

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 3.2L 4x4
97 Posts
Driving with the donut spare, though not ideal, is doable... because if it wasn't, the Jeep wouldn't have one. The message you should get when you drive with a smaller spare is something like'Tire Mismatch 4wd performance reduced'. That's it. OP here apparently has a major issue.

Late typo edit
true that, drove an hour and a half with it since I was so close to getting home, it wasn't fun but doable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need some guidance here. Have a 2019 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 plus. Two days before thanksgiving my front right tire got a flat while driving slow. I continued 50 feet into gas station parking lot and put the small spare on. Restarted car and had no power steering, no four wheel drive, and two service engine messages, Service Electronic Stability Control and Service Power Steering. Drove to tire shop and had two new front tires (they needed to be replaced) put on. ($400) They could not do an alignment until the ESC was fixed. Brought to my mechanic (not dealership) and his onboard computer codes told him to check power steering rack. Replaced that for $1600. The dealership was asking $2700. Could not get an appointment at dealership until December 30. On December 24 I checked the two new front tires and they both had the steel belts showing on the inside portion of the treads. Had two new tires put on that day. December 30 at dealership they addressed 10 codes from onboard computer and told me vehicle was fine. I was the last customer to leave that day and they closed up behind me. Driving away I could sense it was still off as the car was sliding on wet pavement, hopping on tight slow turns like 4WD does on dry pavement when turning. Called them January 3 and have appointment on the 18th. Both front tires (second new set in a month) inside portion of the tread are bare and steel belts about to come through. Has anyone had similar occurrences? Should I be paying for the 3rd set of front tires after they told me it was all set? The first service manager told me the electronic power steering went out because the computer over compensated for the small spare tire I had put on. The car had also done the same losing power while driving as other 2019 Latitude owners have mentioned. What is causing the inside tire deterioration? Alignment? Struts? Stabilizers? I don’t know anything about suspension or engines or any thing mechanical. Please help

Late typo edit
The mechanic who replaced the steering rack told me I needed an alignment. He stated that the codes showing from the onboard computer needed to be reset at the dealership before an alignment could be done. The dealership could not get me in for appointment until after January because of staff having Covid. I literally drove with the spare tire on for 8 miles to the tire shop. When at the tire shop I replaced both front tires because they needed it from normal wear. (Neither tire had signs of abnormal wear on the inside part of treads.). Just prior to bringing it to the dealership those same two tires had to be replaced because the steel belts were showing. The tire shop mentioned it needed an alignment but computer codes needed to be addressed before they could do it. Brought to dealership and told them everything. They said everything was all set and it didn’t need an alignment. They stated they addressed 10 service engine codes. The vehicle has not been in any accidents and I am original owner. The only messages the computer showed when I put on spare were Wrong Size Tire Detected, service Electronic Stability Control, service Power Steering and 4 wheel drive not available. The fact two different shops told me it needed alignment but that couldn’t be done until codes addressed seems odd, why can’t it be done prior to that? I bring it back to dealership on Tuesday and it will be 20 days since it was last there and at that time both front tires were practically brand new, both tires now have little to no treads from the middle to inside edge of tire.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
The mechanic who replaced the steering rack told me I needed an alignment. He stated that the codes showing from the onboard computer needed to be reset at the dealership before an alignment could be done. The dealership could not get me in for appointment until after January because of staff having Covid. I literally drove with the spare tire on for 8 miles to the tire shop. When at the tire shop I replaced both front tires because they needed it from normal wear. (Neither tire had signs of abnormal wear on the inside part of treads.). Just prior to bringing it to the dealership those same two tires had to be replaced because the steel belts were showing. The tire shop mentioned it needed an alignment but computer codes needed to be addressed before they could do it. Brought to dealership and told them everything. They said everything was all set and it didn’t need an alignment. They stated they addressed 10 service engine codes. The vehicle has not been in any accidents and I am original owner. The only messages the computer showed when I put on spare were Wrong Size Tire Detected, service Electronic Stability Control, service Power Steering and 4 wheel drive not available. The fact two different shops told me it needed alignment but that couldn’t be done until codes addressed seems odd, why can’t it be done prior to that? I bring it back to dealership on Tuesday and it will be 20 days since it was last there and at that time both front tires were practically brand new, both tires now have little to no treads from the middle to inside edge of tire.
Yikes. Impossible for us forum folks to do more, not having eyes on your Jeep. Seems very bizarre that the dealership didn't see anything and didn't perform an alignment : it's good easy money for them, when customer asks, they should jump at the chance to do it and make money, so I don't get it... unless they are real pros and your Jeep really didn't need an alignment. About clearing codes before doing an alignment : that's a first for me, never heard that before, but I have not needed one myself yet on this Jeep, and I haven't had your specific codes either.

Let's just hope they can put some competent hands on your Jeep, on the next visit...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
you keep replacing 2 tires.. (not that it will help you with your current issues)
you need 4 matching tires.. how worn are the other 2.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,889 Posts
I think the tires are the least of their problems. Until the causes are addressed, it's going to keep eating tires...😎

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you keep replacing 2 tires.. (not that it will help you with your current issues)
you need 4 matching tires.. how worn are the other 2.
I purchased a set of 4 last summer so the other two are in pretty good shape. One of the two front tires blew out today on the highway. Had the vehicle towed to the dealership.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
I purchased a set of 4 last summer so the other two are in pretty good shape. One of the two front tires blew out today on the highway. Had the vehicle towed to the dealership.
Now let's see what they find... so you can get this resolved once and for all !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts