2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randomly while driving I get a thump so loud it scares me when it happens. Sounds like it’s behind me ….had at dealer told them they could have for week as I was going away. 2 days later they called husband to come get, told him they could not get it to do it ( but no extra km on my car) and that At 40,000 I needed total new brakes pad rotors because I did not bring it in at 20,000 for a grease job… and charged him $75.00. Because they had to charge him something cause they Couldn’t find anything …Bullshit had someone look at breaks and they had not been touched but they were fine.
Anyone else have this thump..sometimes it's
really loud and shakes car

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Obvious scam, there are no grease fittings on a Cherokee.
Zerk fittings are only used on lawn mowers.
Find a new Jeep dealer.
Since you don't go off road you probably have not broken a rear lower control arm bushing.
Do you have a rear drive module? If so it could be loosing gear oil and binding internally.
Check the rear half shafts. Check the drive shaft.
A good wheel alignment shop should be able to do a thorough inspection of the rear suspension and make sure everything is ok.
Have them check the rear brakes again. Make sure the tires are good, check for loose wheel lugs bolts.
Some Cherokees had broken rear shocks and there was a Recall.
Find out what Recalls apply to your Cherokee and make sure they have all been done.
What kind of Cherokee do you have? Grand, AD1, ADII, TH. Technology package? After market tow package? Or, anything else aftermarket?
Things that go thump are not good.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Randomly while driving I get a thump so loud it scares me when it happens. Sounds like it’s behind me ….had at dealer told them they could have for week as I was going away. 2 days later they called husband to come get, told him they could not get it to do it ( but no extra km on my car) and that At 40,000 I needed total new brakes pad rotors because I did not bring it in at 20,000 for a grease job… and charged him $75.00. Because they had to charge him something cause they Couldn’t find anything …Bullshit had someone look at breaks and they had not been touched but they were fine.
Anyone else have this thump..sometimes it's
really loud and shakes car
Hi and welcome :)

At what speed does the thumping occur, roughly ? Any possibility this happens when the transmission shifts a gear ?

Which model year do you have and which engine ?

If you're at 40,000 Km, the brakes are likely still very good, but canadian winters with road salt can cause brake problems. When the dealership mentionned 'grease', they likely meant lubing the brake caliper pins, which should be done every 12-18 months if you drive in road salt, because the pins will corrode and seize, causing the calipers to stick. If you haven't had brake maintenance done, ever, then please get this done asap ; I know, I've been there, waited too long for maintenance and had to replace the brakes early (but early for me was 80,000 Km).

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome :)

At what speed does the thumping occur, roughly ? Any possibility this happens when the transmission shifts a gear ?

Which model year do you have and which engine ?

If you're at 40,000 Km, the brakes are likely still very good, but canadian winters with road salt can cause brake problems. When the dealership mentionned 'grease', they likely meant lubing the brake caliper pins, which should be done every 12-18 months if you drive in road salt, because the pins will corrode and seize, causing the calipers to stick. If you haven't had brake maintenance done, ever, then please get this done asap ; I know, I've been there, waited too long for maintenance and had to replace the brakes early (but early for me was 80,000 Km).
It’s a 2017 Jeep trailhawk 6 cylinder sometimes whenI was really paying attention it did it 3 times but seemed to be shifting from 2nd to 3 rd, but it also done it just doing 89km om the highway not shifting..

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
It’s a 2017 Jeep trailhawk 6 cylinder sometimes whenI was really paying attention it did it 3 times but seemed to be shifting from 2nd to 3 rd, but it also done it just doing 89km om the highway not shifting..
When the vehicle is cold, there can be a hard 2nd to 3rd upshift, mine does it from time to time, but only when I start the Jeep (cold) and drive away immediately ; once warmed up, no problems.

The 90 Km/h thud is... intriguing. Could be when the transmission is shifting also, but we can't verify that right now.

Are you still under the 5 year powertrain warranty ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts