2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I mean I asked one thing told yall I checked the other but no one wanna give an actually answer to the real question. So idk seems like not much馃槓... Atl the only one that wants to give an answer. Appreciate the suggestion but an answer to the question would be much better
10-4, just keep us posted. We're all dying to know if there's finally actually been a starter failure...Also you might better make sure you have the right starter. I just checked a bunch of non Mopar parts sites, and nobody has this starter, which just happens to be the same as my 2019 2.0T equipped Trailhawk. They aren't the most readily available part, even on the Mopar sites, and I'm going to say that the reason being, is the fact that they just don't fail...馃槑

Registered
On the 2.0 it's from below... If you have a 4X4, you'll need to remove the transfer case. (it's the 2.4 that may require removing the intake). :cool:
Yikes. Fun job !

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
In everyone's defense, we were all just giving you the most common no start solutions we have seen on the Cherokee, to save you from jumping to a more difficult repair that may be unnecessary.
The far most common we see is battery related, and we have even had folks with brand new batteries (including myself), finding out that the battery (or the terminals) was still the culprit. Other times it was the relay/fuse (see here: HELP ! - 2015 w/3.2L will not start. Can't get... ) as it seems FCA switched manufacturers and there were several reports of the relay being bad (even on new Jeeps).
As @Flybynightcru said, lots of people start out thinking they needed a new starter, but I don't think I have ever seen one ending up needing to be replaced on the Cherokee (at least not on the 2019+).
Had you detailed what you had already checked in your opening post, we would have realized you were on the right path, instead of thinking you were going down the same rabbit hole that others did.
Also, be careful, if you do actually need the starter, the 2.0 uses this: Engine Starter - Mopar (56029737AA), which ain't cheap due to the ESS (around $300 before core), so $60 seems a bit low ball...

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
I mean I asked one thing told yall I checked the other but no one wanna give an actually answer to the real question. So idk seems like not much馃槓... Atl the only one that wants to give an answer. Appreciate the suggestion but an answer to the question would be much better
I have to say no one has changed a starter on this forum that I know of in any engine or if they did it鈥檚 so rare no one can give you any experience doing it. Hopefully it鈥檚 not too crazy to do it and your friend is driving again for years 馃槑

Registered
Give the guy a break, it's possible that he has a Bad Starter. Any mechanical / electrical part can fail.
Just because people haven't heard about many failures, doesn't mean that there can't possibly be a failure.
I'm sure he appreciates the suggestions for what to check.

Registered
One last piece of troubleshooting you might do is check at the starter motor itself if it has continuity to ground, 12v to the motor (key on run, no start), and 12v to the solenoid (key on run, foot on brake). I've gone so far as to use extension clips connected to the 12v terminals to my meter outside of the car so I can watch while I'm cranking. No voltage one or the other terminal indicates your problem is elsewhere. If the solenoid gets 12v but it doesn't crank, it could be a bad 12v supply or ground, but you'll see that on the meter as soon as you start to crank - the voltage will dip significantly if not all the way to zero. Before you get too excited, you should check again at the battery. A bad battery will show the same dip when cranking so a good shortcut is to check the battery voltage while cranking as the first step (probably already done?). If no dip at the battery it could be either the starter supply or the ground, but generally it's the supply as a bad ground is somewhat compensated by the metal-to-metal contact of the motor and a broken ground wire might be masked by that. I would expect a broken ground would be more like an intermittent issue, though not always. In the past when I found a bad cable I just replaced both.

As a last resort, you can take a set of jumper cables directly to the battery - negative to the ground and positive arch across both the solenoid and the supply. That last step is rather unnerving since you are under the car and it might crank over. Captain Obvious said to remember to make sure your car is blocked up well!

That's my old-school last-ditch starter motor troubleshooter advice and has saved me from several starter motor change-out sessions! Have to admit that it's been a while since a starter has failed on me. Seems like in the old(er) days starters failed about as often as batteries! Not so much anymore.

Your problem is just getting to the starter! What a pain. Maybe there are fewer parts that need to be removed to get the starter terminals before you begin the full-blown removal and replacement if it turns out to be the motor.

Good luck!

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
So this is from my Haynes manual. They are out of order for some of them, last picture is starting out with starter reference for 2.0 and then the top 3 are transfer case removal just out of order follow the numbers. Hopefully it鈥檚 readable. 馃槑

Cloud Font Book Sky Publication

Publication Font Book Material property Paper

Yellow Publication Font Material property Tints and shades

Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I'm going to guess since they had to charge the battery up, that the previous one completely died (also going by the fact its still the original battery in the 19). They stop/start on that battery probably stopped working last year (usually the first sign to replace the battery). Just out of curiosity, is the new battery an AGM? Also, was the new battery fully charged before it was put in? Depending on where it was purchased, it might not have been fully charged.

Now, if it did in fact completely die, and now its not doing anything, I would look first to a ground issue, and then to the electronics. There have been people that have had issues recognizing the key after a battery failure. While its not common, its more common than a starter failure. Since the starters on these have to be overbuilt for the stop/start feature, they very rarely fail. If jeeps were pulling up to traffic lights, turning off, and then not restarting, you better believe jeep would have a recall situation on their hands. As such, its just very rare to see a starter failure, not just on the jeep, but most new cars with a start/stop feature.

Registered
@miker, ALL very good information, but the OP knows exactly what the issue is (he thinks) and ONLY wants information on where the starter is. One would think a KL expert would know where it is and not have look on a forum for that information, but who knows. When he comes back after struggling to change an expensive part and finds it isn鈥檛 the problem (BUT maybe it is, after all I am not a KL expert, which is why I am here) maybe your EXCELLENT suggestions will help. Or even better, help someone else who is open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
@miker, ALL very good information, but the OP knows exactly what the issue is (he thinks) and ONLY wants information on where the starter is. One would think a KL expert would know where it is and not have look on a forum for that information, but who knows. When he comes back after struggling to change an expensive part and finds it isn鈥檛 the problem (BUT maybe it is, after all I am not a KL expert, which is why I am here) maybe your EXCELLENT suggestions will help. Or even better, help someone else who is open to suggestions.

Lmao you jeep owners on this forum are something else 馃槀馃槀 bunch of hurt egos when someone ask a question. Then ya got the people who want to give an actually answer. Those are the people really helping

Registered
Lmao you jeep owners on this forum are something else 馃槀馃槀 bunch of hurt egos when someone ask a question. Then ya got the people who want to give an actually answer. Those are the people really helping
No, we just know our vehicle. KL Cherokees have quite a few quirky electrical issues, but starters aren't one of those. So did the new starter fix it??? You've been working on it for like 3 days now...馃槑

Registered
Lmao you jeep owners on this forum are something else bunch of hurt egos when someone ask a question. Then ya got the people who want to give an actually answer. Those are the people really helping
So tell us Mr. expert, did the starter fix it?
My feelings aren鈥檛 hurt in the least, but when we get smart a$$ answers to help offered, expect the same back.

Registered
I think if it is the starter he will be back to say 鈥淚 told you so鈥 and if it is not the starter he won鈥檛 be back to say 鈥測ou were right, now what?鈥濃.

You really think they would now admit it wasn't the starter, if it wasn't ? I know I wouldn't, considering how this thread has unfolded. And if it isn't the starter, they'd likely just not come back here (I wouldn't) and move along.
If it is the starter... I'm not sure you can say with confidence that you would take their word for it ? I wouldn't ;)

That's why I'm saying we've lost the ending on this one, no matter which ending it is.

Registered
You really think they would now admit it wasn't the starter, if it wasn't ? I know I wouldn't, considering how this thread has unfolded. And if it isn't the starter, they'd likely just not come back here (I wouldn't) and move along.
If it is the starter... I'm not sure you can say with confidence that you would take their word for it ? I wouldn't ;)

That's why I'm saying we've lost the ending on this one, no matter which ending it is.
I think you're right Mark. I will say this though, if you're gonna pop up on here looking for help, we're probably THE MOST helpful bunch of any of the forums that I've been around, because there's always someone with the expertise of just about anything about our Cherokees, and that's what sets us apart from the rest. Now, on the other hand, if you come here for help, question our knowledge, and be a $marta$$ with an attitude, you better be really good at it, or you're probably going to get chewed up, and spit out, because I gotta say, there's some real experts in "$marta$$ery" around here when necessary....I freaking love you guys!!! LOL!!!馃槈馃槑

Registered
I think you're right Mark. I will say this though, if you're gonna pop up on here looking for help, we're probably THE MOST helpful bunch of any of the forums that I've been around, because there's always someone with the expertise of just about anything about our Cherokees, and that's what sets us apart from the rest. Now, on the other hand, if you come here for help, question our knowledge, and be a $marta$$ with an attitude, you better be really good at it, or you're probably going to get chewed up, and spit out, because I gotta say, there's some real experts in "$marta$$ery" around here when necessary....I freaking love you guys!!! LOL!!!馃槈馃槑
Hahaha... I hear you, loud and clear. We just have to accept that not every forum encounter will be positive or constructive... and, well, human nature being what it is...
But I agree this forum is a good place for folks to come find some help. Most outcomes are good, that's what matters.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Lmao bunch of hurt children on here. HE CAME IN AND ASKED A QUESTION TIME TO ACT LIKE IM THE SMARTEST. How dumb do you got to be? Lmao funny yall are suppose to be grown men 馃槀馃ぃ馃ぃ Guess what guys Holy **** I got it off and test and guess what. IT ****ING FAILED 馃ぃ馃ぃ. Now yall do look like a dumbass that know nothing about they cars. How many thousand of these jeeps have been sold? Yall just think if I never had the issue then no one has. Ignorance it just sad馃う鈥嶁檪锔
As they say. Assuming only makes and ass out of you. Enjoy your life children and don't cry to hard on this one cause you were wrong it happens.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts