2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone go through problems with oil consumption, have their engine replaced under warranty, and now going through oil consumption issues again and a service 4WD problem? The code came up as C14A7 PTU Motor. I saw there are recalls for the PTU on older models. I have 79,700 miles and have had the Jeep for 4 years, bought it brand new. I got into near car crashes from the engine shutting down and now this? How is this safe to drive anymore? Anyone going through this and tell me your experience?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,154 Posts
It looks like 2.4l is tagged, so I'm going to assume you have the 2.4l. It is known for oil consumption issues. There is a recall that is suppose to help (software update), but its a known problem. Just need to check periodically and add oil between oil changes. I'm assuming if it was extremely excessive then it could be replaced, but even new engines could burn through a quarter in-between oil changes and be considered normal.

Reactions: Mark_ and sanghill

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
It looks like 2.4l is tagged, so I'm going to assume you have the 2.4l. It is known for oil consumption issues. There is a recall that is suppose to help (software update), but its a known problem. Just need to check periodically and add oil between oil changes. I'm assuming if it was extremely excessive then it could be replaced, but even new engines could burn through a quarter in-between oil changes and be considered normal.
I could be wrong but... from the first post I get the feeling they've replaced one engine already...

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,154 Posts
Oh, I misread it. I was thinking they were asking if anyone has had it replaced due to oil consumption, not that it was replaced, and then they were asking about oil consumption. My bad.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Find out if the new engine Warranty for parts and labor is still in effect.
It should be on the repair receipt, or ask your Jeep Service Advisor.
Maybe the new engine has the some problems as the old engine.
Find out if the oil consumption Recall applies to the new engine. If so, was it done.
The Recall changes the software in a module external to the engine, so the Recall needs to be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts