2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2019 Jeep Cherokee, absolutely love it. The navigation system is kind of confusing to me tho. When I go to enter an address it’ll only allow me to enter certain numbers. Is there a setting I can change to fix this? It’s quite annoying cause it’s not always the number I need to enter in the right address.

·
Registered
A white 2021 Trailhawk named Stormtrooper.
98 Posts
I haven’t seen it explained in writing anywhere, but what I think is happening is that the navigation system has certain Numbers on a street it thinks are valid numbers, and “helps” by rejecting entries that don’t fit it’s preconceptions. I’ve had cases where I wanted to go to a certain cross street on a road and it would reject a generic number I entered such as 5100 North Bradley to go to the 5100 block of that street that would put me in the place I wanted to go. It is frustrating! Thankfully it doesn’t happen very often.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
378 Posts
I also have a 19 with navigation. I honestly never use it though. Waze works so much better, especially when avoiding wrecks, road closures, traffic, and cops. Plus the voice commands work very well with google assistant.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,351 Posts
There are a few things on the 4C Nav...
(note I typically use Waze or Google Maps on Wireless AA)
Navigating to a specific address - Yes, that address has to be in the system.
Navigating to a block (like the 5100 above) - Again, the # must be in the system, but you can let the system 'pick' a number for you: If you get as far a '5' then '1', and it doesn't offer you a '0' as the next #, just pick the lowest # it is offering, same for the 4th digit.
Navigating to an intersection - You need to start with the intersection mode (see below from the manual), I believe you can also do by voice "navigate to intersection of Main street and Broad Avenue"...
Product Font Technology Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a few things on the 4C Nav...
(note I typically use Waze or Google Maps on Wireless AA)
Navigating to a specific address - Yes, that address has to be in the system.
Navigating to a block (like the 5100 above) - Again, the # must be in the system, but you can let the system 'pick' a number for you: If you get as far a '5' then '1', and it doesn't offer you a '0' as the next #, just pick the lowest # it is offering, same for the 4th digit.
Navigating to an intersection - You need to start with the intersection mode (see below from the manual), I believe you can also do by voice "navigate to intersection of Main street and Broad Avenue"...
View attachment 216349
So is Waze something you can download on the Jeep or do you have to do it on your phone?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
So is Waze something you can download on the Jeep or do you have to do it on your phone?
You have it on your phone and run it by either AndroidAuto or CarPlay

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ditch tha factory nav and connect your phone and use either Apple car play or Android auto. That way you have themost updated maps, traffic, weather, detours with either google maps or waze. That and all the other cool features you can do like spotify, amazon music, i can listen to a police scanner, podcast.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I haven’t seen it explained in writing anywhere, but what I think is happening is that the navigation system has certain Numbers on a street it thinks are valid numbers, and “helps” by rejecting entries that don’t fit it’s preconceptions.
This can sometimes be an advantage, because you'll learn immediately if you have an incorrect address. E.g., if you think you need to go to 1313 Mockingbird Lane, but there actually is no 1313 on that street, you'll be able to enter "Mockingbird Lane," but the number keypad won't allow you to enter the sequence "1313." That will tell you that the combination of street + number doesn't exist. In contrast, Google Maps appears to allow you to enter any number you want to, but at some point the directions will have to fail if there is no such number on the street. But you may not realize that until you get to the street. And you may not want to go to that street after all, if it turns out that you have the right number but the wrong street name in your address. I.e., you weren't looking for 1315 Mockingbird Lane, but rather 1313 Blackbird Lane.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keep in mind Waze is only as good as the users in your area. I live south east of Boston and there are so few users that report anything Waze is only useful as a navigation tool.

I find the SirusXM Travel Link that comes with the factory navigation to be better at reporting traffic, construction and accidents than even Google Maps.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Keep in mind Waze is only as good as the users in your area. I live south east of Boston and there are so few users that report anything Waze is only useful as a navigation tool.

I find the SirusXM Travel Link that comes with the factory navigation to be better at reporting traffic, construction and accidents than even Google Maps.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk
Agreed! There are times that I get more out of the factory Nav (and travel link) than Waze or Google maps, other times I find myself doing the Android Auto (it is more forgiving at voice recognition). No system is perfect...

·
Registered
A white 2021 Trailhawk named Stormtrooper.
98 Posts
The road construction and traffic info on TravelLink are impressive, much better than the Onstar stuff on my previous car! Who knows what the situation will be when my five year trial expires, but I can definitely imagine paying for this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts