2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a parking lot fender bender where some guy in a Tacoma backed into me a Month ago.
ive had my car in the collision center for the last 3 days getting fixed.
Got a VW Atlas as a rental.
Pretty Nice car. Has a higher package with lots of tech, but the biggest thing I notice is how a real transmission should act.
None of that momentary freewheel when backinup and shifting into D. On my Jeep, I have to deliberately stop then shift into drive or it will free wheel for a second before banging into drive.
This VW has very solid mannerisms not unlike older transmissions.
You know, press the gas pedal and it actually reacts quickly....
I’m retired MoparPDC, and I’ve always been loyal to our vehicals, but I’m seriously thinking of trading this thing on something else that shifts better.
whether it be another FCA, or I don’t know, maybe an effing Atlas.
Oh, and 5 minutes after renting it I was pulling onto a busy outer road and gave it a little throttle, MAYBE a third, probably less. I must have left an 8-10 foot patch of rubber!
I thought I was maybe driving an 8 cylinder, but no, it’s a 3.6 V6

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
So I had a parking lot fender bender where some guy in a Tacoma backed into me a Month ago.
ive had my car in the collision center for the last 3 days getting fixed.
Got a VW Atlas as a rental.
Pretty Nice car. Has a higher package with lots of tech, but the biggest thing I notice is how a real transmission should act.
None of that momentary freewheel when backinup and shifting into D. On my Jeep, I have to deliberately stop then shift into drive or it will free wheel for a second before banging into drive.
This VW has very solid mannerisms not unlike older transmissions.
You know, press the gas pedal and it actually reacts quickly....
I’m retired MoparPDC, and I’ve always been loyal to our vehicals, but I’m seriously thinking of trading this thing on something else that shifts better.
whether it be another FCA, or I don’t know, maybe an effing Atlas.
Oh, and 5 minutes after renting it I was pulling onto a busy outer road and gave it a little throttle, MAYBE a third, probably less. I must have left an 8-10 foot patch of rubber!
I thought I was maybe driving an 8 cylinder, but no, it’s a 3.6 V6
You must know about the ZF-8... you know, the 8-speed found in a lot of FCA trucks/SUVs. Great tranny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I’m aware of the transmissions. Our 8 speed is nice. But this 9 speed is just getting on my nerves. I wanted to like it, and yeah, if you drive to it’s strengths it not terrible. But it pisses me off that for instance, to keep from noticing the shifting jerkiness, I just put my foot into it and drive it harder. But that kills my mileage, and in general, it’s just bugs me that I have to tweak the way I drive it to make it feel less bad, if that makes sense...
At work, Mopar, I worked in the MRA department for a while and got to play with all of the broken toys returned to us. Saw more than a few of these 9 speeds. Tiny ass little things.
But when I bought mine, I actually believed the narrative about them fixing the problems..
Yeah, maybe they’re better than they were, but still not great.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, maybe they’re better than they were, but still not great.
It has to do with packaging constraints. I'm surprised you would buy one(and be unhappy) with all that knowledge of them beforehand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. Like I said, I believed the hype about them being “ fixed”.
The MRAs were of prior versions/ years. My coworkers son works in the tech center in Auburn Hills as an engineer and was saying how they made changes( they did) and it was much better.
yeah, bottom line, bad on me for getting it and bitching knowing that there could be issues. I just wanted to buy FCA and this was in my price range.
Wish I could have gotten the Grand...

·
Registered
461 Posts
My wife's renegade also has the ZF9 and it behaves significantly better than my '15 Cherokee.

It shifts quicker, smoother, and has the 3-2 downshift.

There is still a slight lag when switching between reverse and drive, though.

I appreciate the zf9 most of the time, but it certainly is not a quick-reacting transmission.

I will be glad to one day move on to something more responsive, however I have gotten very used to having a lot of gears, and wouldn't want to "downgrade" to a 6 speed. I think I'd be ok with 8, but I'd really like 10 ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sport, let me ask you a question.
Say you back out of the driveway, stop quickly, shift to drive quick, and give it gas pretty much right away. Does yours freewheel for a second then KLUNK into gear?
mine does, and I’m not really sure if that’s normal or not...( bear with me, I’m old) Lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sport, let me ask you a question.
Say you back out of the driveway, stop quickly, shift to drive quick, and give it gas pretty much right away. Does yours freewheel for a second then KLUNK into gear?
mine does, and I’m not really sure if that’s normal or not...( bear with me, I’m old) Lol
Yup, it sure does, however I do my very best to avoid it by coming to a complete stop and staying stopped until it goes into gear. It's really frustrating to have to do this when time is of the essence (for instance when parallel parking on a busy street, or maneuvering in a parking lot.

There is a lag between any shift this transmission does, and the lag when switching between D and R is the longest of any.
The renegade has about half this lag, but it still has it.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
There is a lag between any shift this transmission does, and the lag when switching between D and R is the longest of any.
The renegade has about half this lag, but it still has it.
There is widely varying values on all the TCM's i've read. The lower the number the quicker the shift is. It can be changed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They must tune it the way they do for longevity’s sake, but It’s aggravating as all hell sometimes.
Ive been driving this Atlas still waiting for the body shop to get done with mine, and I look for reasons to go drive it.
It’s got low gearing, as does the Cherokee, but the combination of that engine and tranny is sweet. The low end on that thing pulls Ike a tractor. I can lay rubber routinely without hardly trying.
Gear shifts are quick and decisive, ours kind of slips into the next gear by comparison.
Same with their version of autoshift. SMH

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine doesn't do any of that at all. Goes right into gear immediately, and shifts smoothly and flawlessly through the gears in auto or manual. Guess I got lucky???

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
The only way you are leaving rubber is if you are FWD, you can't spin the tires in a 4x4 cherokee unless you do a lot of work to it.
All the way through first and part of 2nd

The transmission shifts fine with a few tweaks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the Cheroke. Good ’ole programmers wouldn’t let us have that much fun....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We know you’ve tuned your 2014.
My reply was that it was the ATLAS that was leaving rubber, and that our Cherokees DON’T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts