2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New Jeep owner and I am disappointed. My Jeep makes. Clicking noise when breaking. Usually city driving. Stop signs and red lights. It’s been in the shop four times and I am now being told it’s “normal”. It is loud and I am not sure if anyone else has this issue. Any ideas?

· Registered
4,626 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Could be the vibration clips on the front pads.
If your dealer put on new pads, clips and rotors and install everything correctly the noise should go away.
Did your dealer actually DO anything, like take the wheels of and check the brakes?
Do you have high mileage, been fording streams, driving in salty snow conditions, etc. that could contribute to the noise?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! They said they replaced the drive shaft and front left calibour. The Jeep only has 40K for miles. I live in New England so there is some snow but it has been a mild winter and I just purchased it as a certified pre owned. They said it has to do with the "Auto" transmissions gear, when it drops below 16 mph it is it shifting??? I am just not buying it.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,821 Posts
Thanks! They said they replaced the drive shaft and front left calibour. The Jeep only has 40K for miles. I live in New England so there is some snow but it has been a mild winter and I just purchased it as a certified pre owned. They said it has to do with the "Auto" transmissions gear, when it drops below 16 mph it is it shifting??? I am just not buying it.
Ya, I'm not buying that either!!! My 2019 has never done that. My suggestion would be, find a different dealer...😎

· Registered
141 Posts
Was the LF rotor removed, inspected, turned, (resurfaced), along with its bearings inspected, re-packed and/or replaced along with a new seal ?

I guess it is possible to replace a front drive shaft and caliper without doing the basic rotor/bearing inspection & maintenance.

Hopefully they replaced the pads and hardware.

· Registered
40 Posts
That's not normal!!!😎
100% it is not normal. Took me three dealership visits and finally a escalation through FCA to get a SRT mechanic/engineer guy from corporate to look at it and no BS tell me what it is.

In a nutshell...
The company that makes the PTU designed by Jeep engineers. Made to design specs, and those specs have very broad tolerances. The "click" is the sound of the PTU engaging and disengaging. (that's why it goes away in snow mode)
It is a QA/QC issue that FCA is totally aware of, they wont admit they designed a POS part. The company that made them, was the lowest bidder and made a few million of them. So it is cheaper to not do anything until the customer complains. But again (since Jeep never put out a TSB or SSB, the problem is non existent) When the PTU does fail. It's replaced under warranty and is a write off or cost applied to a GL code that is already budgeted for the issue.

So, with this information... I went at Jeep. Told them what I know and without a blink. They upped my Bumper to Bumper warranty to 8 years 120,000 miles. (I thought it was 100K, I jsut looked) this warranty is tied to the VIN so even if I sell it. The warranty goes with the Jeep.

It still makes the noise and will do so until it finally fails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.