2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted replacement of the factory sub (9 speaker premium sound) on a 2019-2021, that could tell me the procedure to access it? Thanks.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Has anyone attempted replacement of the factory sub (9 speaker premium sound) on a 2019-2021, that could tell me the procedure to access it? Thanks.
I'm not sure how that comes apart, but one thing I'm pretty sure of, it's likely ten times more complicated than it needs to be, just like everything else on these things...馃槈馃槑

Banned

Registered
Olive Green 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
Flybynightcru.
Real intelligent answer glad to see you keep increasing your post count.
Again
Top Contributors LOL
Well, he does have a point

May be better off installing a low profile all in one subwoofer enclosure under the seat to save some room. From my experience in previous cars, just swapping out the subwoofer wont do much. It will likely be underpowered as the stock sound system wattage (and the speakers) are pretty underpowered

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, he does have a point

May be better off installing a low profile all in one subwoofer enclosure under the seat to save some room. From my experience in previous cars, just swapping out the subwoofer wont do much. It will likely be underpowered as the stock sound system wattage (and the speakers) are pretty underpowered
I don't really consider 500 W Alpine system as "underpowered"?

Registered
That's 500W split across 11 discrete channels. 9 speakers, and the subwoofer, which is dual voice coil.

If you swap out for something else, try to find the sub with the highest sensitivity in the specs. The lower the sensitivity, the less volume you'll have at the power the amp is putting to it...to the point that you'll have to amp it to hear anything.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or you just read the thread I posted from 6 years ago. The alpine system is fine, the speakers are the issue, replace them and and system is quite good
Totally agree. All the power I need, and now I have the best sounding system I've ever experienced in the nine Jeeps I've owned over the years.

Reactions: Tyler-98-W68

Registered
Olive Green 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
Considering the fact you are trying to replace the stock sub, I assume you want more bass. Most decent subwoofers start at around 200 watt RMS, so that almost takes away half your amps wattage, and you still have how many other speakers to power?

In my experience, I replaced the stock subwoofer on a 450 watt stock audio setup with a 200 watt RMS subwoofer. The thing barely moved and ended up having to run a separate amp to power it. Direct replacement of door speakers and tweeters ends up working fine because they take less power. Subwoofers rely on enough power to move its larger cone or you don't get any quality sound from it.

Read through the post @Tyler-98-W68 shared above. An aftermarket subwoofer will be underpowered and you may not get the sound you're looking for.

Edit: not trying to sound rude, but I guess it really depends on what you are trying to get out of a new subwoofer

Reactions: NScherry

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not necessarily looking for more bass, just cleaner sound, which is what I accomplished with replacing the 8 factory speakers.

Reactions: Tyler-98-W68

Registered
The issue I have is how do you deal with the noise cancellation system built in for some of our vehicles? Nobody seems to know much about that.

Banned
The issue I have is how do you deal with the noise cancellation system built in for some of our vehicles? Nobody seems to know much about that.
Here's how it works on the WK2 so it will be similar on the KL.....changing the sub isn't going to matter

Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Funny, but I actual purchased a Sub and returned it after dissecting exactly what was entailed in replacing it. Just took a long preview and said 鈥渇**k that.鈥 Good luck, have fun and let us know what you think! 馃槑

Reactions: NScherry

Registered
Flybynightcru.
Real intelligent answer glad to see you keep increasing your post count.
Again
Top Contributors LOL
Kinda being a turd doncha think? 馃う馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
If you want to keep the ANC, the only thing you can do is upgrade speakers. Trying to keep that and doing any amplification will create a feedback loop (been there...).
If you want, you can get an ANC bypass, grab the speaker output for the rear door speakers, run them through a Kicker Key500.1 to restore the bass and run that to the sub. :cool:

Registered
If you want to keep the ANC, the only thing you can do is upgrade speakers. Trying to keep that and doing any amplification will create a feedback loop (been there...).
If you want, you can get an ANC bypass, grab the speaker output for the rear door speakers, run them through a Kicker Key500.1 to restore the bass and run that to the sub. :cool:
Great idea! By the way, has anybody here ever replaced the amp? Any ideas would be great鈥s there a better amp that cohabitates well with the native head unit? 馃槑

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Great idea! By the way, has anybody here ever replaced the amp? Any ideas would be great鈥s there a better amp that cohabitates well with the native head unit? 馃槑
That sounds super complicated...LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
I am ok with the sub but may replace the speakers at some point. I think my first upgrade would be to install something like a JL FiX or TwK sound processor which will remove the EQ from the head unit and return the signal to a pristine output. Then I can set a custom EQ before it goes to the amp/sub. I think that would not mess with the noise cancellation since my understanding is that it is handled via the amp not the stereo.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is the factory sub in our 2019-2021's dual or single voice coil? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.