2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Well, that ain't good...So this is literally a first around here anyway, and you've blown two motors??? Something smells like fish...馃馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Make sure you call Chrysler and make a report with them on your vehicle and also inform the ntsb about it. They know there is a problem and we may be compensated down the road if anything comes about. If you are doing it yourself I will pass down as much insight as I could. Nothing worse than paying a car payment and also a substantial repair bill.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well, that ain't good...So this is literally a first around here anyway, and you've blown two motors??? Something smells like fish...馃馃槑
This is not a first around here鈥.. do a search outside of this forum or call your parts counter at the local dealership . No fish smell just fiat piston ring failure smoke.probably due to something with the actuator on the turbo and recycling the excess pressure. Frenchy I hope you used the most expensive oil available that over exceeded every spec and the highest octane gas before you get ridiculed on that also. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE ENGINEERING OF THIS ENGINE. You will hear more now since most of the first engines are coming out of warranty.

Registered
When the engine crapped out the first time it was warrenteed. But Fiat/chry said new engine would just continue with manufacturers warranty of 100000k. It now has 150 so i would say no warranty on this one!!!
First, talk with your service manager. If no cooperation or hands tied, call Stellantis customer assistance. Who knows how these replacement engine are really covered...

Registered
Update......
Took Jeep to local dealer for diagnostic....came back as # 2 piston no compression. Reccomend replace motor.
Now this is where it get interesting.
Apparently there is a 2 year warranty on that replacement motor but it expired July 27 2022.
Incident occured July 31st and now they will not replace the motor!!!!!
B...S...

Registered
Update......
Took Jeep to local dealer for diagnostic....came back as # 2 piston no compression. Reccomend replace motor.
Apparently there is a 2 year warranty on that replacement motor but it expired July 27 2022.
B...S...
Try customer assistance... who knows...

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Update......
B...S...
I wonder why it lost compression. I'll have to take a look at mine and see if the pcv is directed back toward the #2 cylinder. Maybe its carbon buildup? It is a direct injection turbo motor afterall. Do you drive it hard? That can increase the amount of blow-by, and lead to a carbon buildup issue.

Registered
I called the service manager today to see if the was a cause of the failure but the mechanic is on holidays.
Something had to have happened to blow the motor....like you said previously.
Just pissed off!!!!!
Never will i buy mopar again!!!!!!
Never!!!!

Registered
I wonder why it lost compression. I'll have to take a look at mine and see if the pcv is directed back toward the #2 cylinder. Maybe its carbon buildup? It is a direct injection turbo motor afterall. Do you drive it hard? That can increase the amount of blow-by, and lead to a carbon buildup issue.
No carbon buildup on the report linked below. The failure was also on the #2 cylinder. 58k on the engine.

Inexcusable... :mad:

Registered
No carbon buildup on the report linked below. The failure was also on the #2 cylinder. 58k on the engine.

Inexcusable... :mad:

Dang. That is a melted piston. I would lean toward a bad fuel injector for that one. I'm surprised they didn't get a check engine light for a lean condition or misfire prior to it happening. It doesn't take long to burn through a piston going lean running high boost. I wonder if they were running a low grade 87 octane. I know they say its is certified per emissions on 87, but one thing that I have never understood with these is the lack of an intercooler. I get that they have the water cooled exhaust manifold, but I've had my air intake temps get over 140 degrees in traffic (it maxed out the settings I had set). I can only image what they are after the turbo. Sitting in traffic with a heat soaked engine, and then getting on it with a low grade gas is a receipt for pre detonation.

Registered
Well after a few months fighting with dealership and fca....no progress.
Next option is small claims court.
I have been told to replace motor at my expense then fight for reimbursement.
That being said ....the used motors have doubled/trippled in price!!!!!! Few moths ago they were going from 2500 to 5000. Now they are 10000+ for a used motor!!!! (Car_part.com)
Question.....
I have a 2019 2.0 with 2pc oil pan....can i swap for a different engine like the 3.2?
1/5th the price!!!!
Just exploring options!!!!

Registered
Well after a few months fighting with dealership and fca....no progress.
Next option is small claims court.
I have been told to replace motor at my expense then fight for reimbursement.
That being said ....the used motors have doubled/trippled in price!!!!!! Few moths ago they were going from 2500 to 5000. Now they are 10000+ for a used motor!!!! (Car_part.com)
Question.....
I have a 2019 2.0 with 2pc oil pan....can i swap for a different engine like the 3.2?
1/5th the price!!!!
Just exploring options!!!!
It can't be swapped. Sorry.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts