2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,269 Posts
Did any of the other cylinders have oil in them? If so, might be worth ruling out oil getting into the intake and sort of "hydrolocking" that cylinder that cause the rings to blow. Could you tell if the turbo seal was bad? Though I would think you would see a lot more blue smoke it if was. Did you get it new, or did you just get it used? I wonder if maybe they previous owner was running conventional oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nothing was hydrolocked it wasn’t that big of an amount of oil. I called my local dealership for prices on rings/ piston to start repairs and they proceeded to tell me that you must buy a long block there is no option for piston replacement. He also mentioned that there is another Cherokee in the parking lot with a hole in the cylinder number 2 piston.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The turbo was fine and I purchased the car from a dealership where the vehicle was serviced regularly. I have had the car for 12k miles. As far as smoke it never had smoked, always ran smooth. I was very impressed by the vehicle up
To this point. Now I am going to make everyone aware of the situation because I know there are other people out there with the same problem and see if we could get a resolution.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Interesting. I mean, any part can fail at any time. The fact that its also a number 2 cylinder could be just a coincidence (25% chance), or if something else in that area caused it.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Nothing was hydrolocked it wasn’t that big of an amount of oil. I called my local dealership for prices on rings/ piston to start repairs and they proceeded to tell me that you must buy a long block there is no option for piston replacement. He also mentioned that there is another Cherokee in the parking lot with a hole in the cylinder number 2 piston.
Well... if the other KL is getting a new engine (guessing it's a 2.0T), try and scavenge a piston from it. I know Stellantis will refuse at first, but..

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well... if the other KL is getting a new engine, try and scavange a piston from it. I know Stellantis will refuse at first, but..
I guess there is no harm in it if you are doing it yourself, but I would wonder where all the metal has gone. Good chance you will just have more issues afterwards.

Was there any scaring on the cylinder walls that you could see?

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The cylinder walls are perfectly smooth no scratches on anything. I did not pull the piston yet my theory is that the scraper ring went and since I drove it less than a mile it did not have time to do any serious piston damage yet. It looks I will be looking for a good used low mileage motor for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Who knows it could have been wrong oil used and LSPI.
OP hasnt owned since new?
and even then dealer put in wrong oil on my first oil change..
I made them change it again.

Plenty of Malibu(s) melted down due to LSPI.. I wont buy another chevy. cough cough

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Everyone on here is fixated on oil type and octane of fuel. I am presenting you with a problem to watch out for and when it happens just be prepared to shell out big dollars simple parts are not available. I’ve rebuilt many of the 3.6 and 4.6 engines for headgaskets/kicking rocker arms out due to oil pressure, and replaced many hemi camshafts for wearing cam lobes out. Just coming to the realization that Chrysler products are not built for longevity.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Just coming to the realization that Chrysler products are not built for longevity.
Actually I'd bet that there are a lot of people on this forum, including me, that would agree with that statement.

But it still sucks to hear that you are experiencing this issue. No engine should have internal problems like this at such low mileage. I don't blame you a bit for being livid about it.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,188 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about my 2015 (<48K miles), but can seriously sympathize with your situation because there should be no engine by any manufacturer that needs this kind of work at 72,000 miles. Jeep should step up with this and make things right. I think this is worth pursuing because something like his on social media could significantly influence potential buyers for all the wrong reasons.

Good luck with all of this.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If it were oil, it would be vary obvious during a tear down as it would be due to sludge blocking oil passages. You would have even seen it taking off the heads, so I doubt it would have been that. Its completely possible it could have just been a bad ring, but if it starts to become a certain cylinder, it could be caused by something else. I would probably swap the block as well. It it was an oil pressure issue that caused the ring to go, you could have a lot more damage, and metal throughout the engine.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If it were oil, it would be vary obvious during a tear down as it would be due to sludge blocking oil passages. You would have even seen it taking off the heads, so I doubt it would have been that. Its completely possible it could have just been a bad ring, but if it starts to become a certain cylinder, it could be caused by something else. I would probably swap the block as well. It it was an oil pressure issue that caused the ring to go, you could have a lot more damage, and metal throughout the engine.
There are many possible oil issues such as this one caused by LSPI ie. the wrong oil.
Since the OP hasnt owned this since new we will never know.
Which doesnt make it any easier to take your car droping a turd on you.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
There are many possible oil issues such as this one caused by LSPI ie. the wrong oil.
Since the OP hasnt owned this since new we will never know.
Which doesnt make it any easier to take your car droping a turd on you.
View attachment 220077
Good point. I was thinking wrong type, not viscosity. I would think it would be obvious though in a tear down. The thing that worries me the most would be the 2 stage oil pump. I haven't looked into how it works, but wonder if there is a way it could fail to provide enough oil pressure under load. It's interesting watching when it switches from low pressure to high pressure, and under which conditions while driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a blown motor in my 2019 2.0 Th. 61000km and done. Warrantied thank goodness.
However....jeep died this passed weekend on my daughter. Had to tow it home. Hard to start...really rough idle then stall. Read the engine code....p2172 and p0302.
Replaced all plugs (35 bucks each!!!!!!) But still no change. Need more testing but not liking what i am reading on here!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I wound up buying a used low mileage engine because Chrysler wants almost 7k for a new short block. If you need any kind of parts let me know I’ve got a whole disassembled engine in my shop minus 1 piston. If you are doing the engine yourself they will come out through the top if you take the hood off. the hardest part of the install is getting the starter in and out if it’s awd.(requires pulling an axle and transfer case.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts