2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving to work yesterday going up a slight hill when all of a sudden I get hit with start stop disabled and a flashing check engine light. I got to work less than 2 miles pull the engine codes and it’s showing p300 and p302 codes. I pulled number 2 spark plug, it looks black and wet but it doesn’t smell like gas. It almost smells like oil. I had to order plugs and a coil because nobody stocks parts for these yet. Has anyone else had an issue like this? The jeep is a 2019 Cherokee limited with 72k on it all stock.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts
I'd check the remaining or 'neighbor' spark plugs and see what they look like. Drop that removed plug into a clear plastic cup with water and that should tell you if it's oil. Also run a clean shop rag around in the vacant plug socket and see what you get.

Why that plug is 'wet' is an odd one in itself.

Good luck with this one

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
The plugs on a 2.0T are good for 60K. It will be interesting to see what you find in there.

The Stop/Start not working could simply be there because of a check engine light condition.

In post linked below, we see a member's 2.0T plugs pulled at 59K miles :
2.0 Spark Plugs

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a similar incident happen at about 100 miles on my 2019 TH 2.0 Turbo. The morning after I bought it I got a CEL and it was sputtering so I went straight to the dealer. The Start-Stop came on but I don't recall it blinking. I believe mine was steady.

Codes P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) and P2302 (ignition coil 1 secondary circuit) were produced. It turned out to be a bad ignition coil (part# 68211953AA) on cylinder 1.The Stop-Start light reset after the coil was replaced. This is standard operating procedure after the coil issue was resolved (per the dealer).

All fixed under warranty as expected and I haven't had any related issues since and I'm at 45k miles.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,082 Posts
Definitely start with a plug change. It is very easy to do on the 2.0L. My manual states every 60K, but I believe 30K is written in some of the manuals. My plugs were defiantly showing wear at 60K when I changed them. Also, make sure not to drive it with a flashing check engine light. That is usually due to an active misfire, and will destroy the catalytic converters (and maybe the turbo) in short time.

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Definitely start with a plug change. It is very easy to do on the 2.0L. My manual states every 60K, but I believe 30K is written in some of the manuals. My plugs were defiantly showing wear at 60K when I changed them. Also, make sure not to drive it with a flashing check engine light. That is usually due to an active misfire, and will destroy the catalytic converters (and maybe the turbo) in short time.
When the 2.0T first came out, plugs were rated for 30K. Then, I don't remember when, they changed it to 60K.

Edit to add : seems 30K was still it in 2018 for Alfa Romeos :

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When the 2.0T first came out, plugs were rated for 30K. Then, I don't remember when, they changed it to 60K.

Edit to add : seems 30K was still it in 2018 for Alfa Romeos :
When I was looking at getting replacements, a lot of the recommendations on the new plugs was 30K. Mine were worn at 60K, but they were still working. I don't see them lasting a lot longer than that though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 2 days I was finally able to get my hands on a set of plugs but ignition coils are on back order 90 days out. So I had to purchase one from summit racing should be here on Monday. I’m going to try to do a compression test tonight on the cylinder before I replace the plugs.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
you can swap 2 coils to check for coil related issues.

Plugs about 10-15min to change all 4. Coils maybe 5min to swap 2.
was it just the electrode that was black and wet or the top of the plug too? (where the coil boot is)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My 2019 is a fairly early model, build date April 20, 2018. My printed User's Guide Second Edition says every 30K. I have a PDF of the Owner's Manual Second Edition Rev 1 which says 60K. So somewhere between UG 2nd Ed, and OM 2nd Ed Rev 1 the interval changed. That's as close as I can pin it. :)

So either way, 72K is way over the recommended interval for changing the plugs!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
you can swap 2 coils to check for coil related issues.

Plugs about 10-15min to change all 4. Coils maybe 5min to swap 2.
was it just the electrode that was black and wet or the top of the plug too? (where the coil boot is)
This would work if they have a code reader that can read active misfires per cylinder.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
My 2019 is a fairly early model, build date April 20, 2018. My printed User's Guide Second Edition says every 30K. I have a PDF of the Owner's Manual Second Edition Rev 1 which says 60K. So somewhere between UG 2nd Ed, and OM 2nd Ed Rev 1 the interval changed. That's as close as I can pin it. :)

So either way, 72K is way over the recommended interval for changing the plugs!
That's close enough for me !:geek: 😁

Reactions: AZJeeper

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BTW, in my circles "turbo misfire on cylinder #2" is a euphemism for a loud, um, flatulence. Usually followed by "sounds like it's running a bit rich."

Related to post? Indirectly. :sneaky:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before installing the plugs I took a compression test cylinder number 2 is showing 90 psi the rest are in the 160 range. It looks like I’m going to be one of the first getting to know the 2.0 engine. Does anybody know of any repair manuals for these engines? I have rebuilt many ford, gm, and chrysler engines but never a fiat.

·
Vendor
156 Posts
Before installing the plugs I took a compression test cylinder number 2 is showing 90 psi the rest are in the 160 range. It looks like I’m going to be one of the first getting to know the 2.0 engine. Does anybody know of any repair manuals for these engines? I have rebuilt many ford, gm, and chrysler engines but never a fiat.
Hello,

If you plan on tackling the job yourself, I would look into a single-vehicle, DIY subscription to either ALLDATA or Mitchell 1.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Was driving to work yesterday going up a slight hill when all of a sudden I get hit with start stop disabled and a flashing check engine light. I got to work less than 2 miles pull the engine codes and it’s showing p300 and p302 codes. I pulled number 2 spark plug, it looks black and wet but it doesn’t smell like gas. It almost smells like oil. I had to order plugs and a coil because nobody stocks parts for these yet. Has anyone else had an issue like this? The jeep is a 2019 Cherokee limited with 72k on it all stock.
What octane gas are you using and is it top tier gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I run premium either 91 or 93 depending on the station but if a vehicle is rated to run on 87 fuel rating other than anything below that should have no effect. I began to tear the motor down there is a sensor for everything on these motors. So far my turbo had oil from the air cleaner side of the intake side all the way through the charge pipe but no play in the impeller

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,646 Posts
I run premium either 91 or 93 depending on the station but if a vehicle is rated to run on 87 fuel rating other than anything below that should have no effect. I began to tear the motor down there is a sensor for everything on these motors. So far my turbo had oil from the air cleaner side of the intake side all the way through the charge pipe but no play in the impeller
Be sure to keep us posted, since you're literally the first one with a possibly relevant engine issue on the 2.0T...😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok finally got the engine torn down and after struggling with trying to figure out where the oil was coming from I had performed a pressure test on the cylinder to find out that the piston rings are bad. So bad that it had pushed oil into every intake and exhaust port that is connected to cylinder 2. I did not expect this with only 72k on the vehicle. This is my first jeep Cherokee and will be my last chrysler product….

1 - 20 of 45 Posts