2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to set the scene: i have had the ‘service shifter’ alert pop up 3 times. after the third time i decided it might be time to get things checked out. dumb me made the wrong type of appointment so I couldn’t get a confirmed diagnosis, but my service advisor plugged in his ipad lookin thing and saw that i had voltage issues. so according to him, my problem is most likely the second battery starting to die. he asked if i had the battery changed. i said yeah, it died on me while at work so i had it towed because aaa couldn’t figure out how to jump my car. when it got to my house my parents went and got a new battery.

to this he said that usually people forget about the second batter attached to the ess system and both go at the same time. he said he couldn’t confirm that was the issue but based on the errors that popped up thats what it most likely was.

now, my question: is there a second battery? everything i’ve seen so far says only grand cherokees have this mystical second battery. so is he lyin or…? and if there is a second battery what size would it be? and where?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Probably one or both batteries, get them both tested for 'battery health'.
Make sure the cable clamps are connected securely.
Make sure your new battery is the correct AGM battery type.
Also, try the Grand Cherokee Forum, maybe they can tell you what the 'service shifter' problem is.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Since you state you have a 3.2L in the title I'll assume you really do have a Cherokee, and not a Grand Cherokee. So... Only one battery.

Your service advisor is full of it. Maybe time to check out a new dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you state you have a 3.2L in the title I'll assume you really do have a Cherokee, and not a Grand Cherokee. So... Only one battery.

Your service advisor is full of it. Maybe time to check out a new dealer?
Yeah it is a cherokee. fwd model. i assumed he was making stuff up so looks like youre right, new dealership time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably one or both batteries, get them both tested for 'battery health'.
Make sure the cable clamps are connected securely.
Make sure your new battery is the correct AGM battery type.
Also, try the Grand Cherokee Forum, maybe they can tell you what the 'service shifter' problem is.
I don’t have a grand cherokee, just the cherokee, so sadly those forums wont help. battery health passed today. but i’ll check and see if its the right battery. Thank you!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I don’t have a grand cherokee, just the cherokee, so sadly those forums wont help. battery health passed today. but i’ll check and see if its the right battery. Thank you!
What confused me as well was that AAA couldn't figure out how to boost the Jeep, which is bizarre for a Cherokee because the battery is easily accessible (and visible). A Grand Cherokee with 2 batteries under a seat, now that can be challenging to boost, because there are 2 terminals under the hood but you have to know where they are.

So anyway... it's a 3.2L KL with ESS. Do check which battery you got (easiest done by checking your paperwork, because the battery itself is covered with a black thing so you can't see the battery stickers).

The shifter issue is separate.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts
He was probably referring to the IBS (intelligent battery sensor). Is your ESS (start/stop) working normally???😎

·
Registered
137 Posts
My service shifter thing happened when I had a failing battery. I have 2017 3.2 cherokee, but 4wd. since the battery replacement, its good. i would check those connections for sure, and make sure its fully hcarged

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
What confused me as well was that AAA couldn't figure out how to boost the Jeep, which is bizarre for a Cherokee because the battery is easily accessible (and visible).
AAA has limited abilities to figure out new vehicles. Take my neighbor, for example. He had a Ford hybrid of some sort. His battery went dead. AAA couldn't start the car because 1) the "jump start" location was in the trunk, and 2) the battery was dead so the electric actuated trunk couldn't be opened!! Solution: Jimmy open the trunk to find the jump-start terminals, then replace the starter battery.

So don't blame AAA. They are having a hard time dealing with simple old-school, simple, single-battery vehicles like ours. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
AAA has limited abilities to figure out new vehicles. Take my neighbor, for example. He had a Ford hybrid of some sort. His battery went dead. AAA couldn't start the car because 1) the "jump start" location was in the trunk, and 2) the battery was dead so the electric actuated trunk couldn't be opened!! Solution: Jimmy open the trunk to find the jump-start terminals, then replace the starter battery.

So don't blame AAA. They are having a hard time dealing with simple old-school, simple, single-battery vehicles like ours. ;)
I can blame AA because the battery is immediately underhood on the driver side and both posts are accessible alternatively the positive junctions and sheet metal or engine metal if you want to avoid sparks.

They have been doing that for years , and the hood release is standard cable and 2 step latch as well.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts

I hear you, but still... if you work for AAA out on the road, shouldn't you at least be able to recognize a regular battery under a hood ? Maybe the black cover throws some people off... A hybrid or any car with a trunk or under-seat battery can be a challenge...
I hope they know what lug bolts are (!)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I can blame AA because the battery is immediately underhood on the driver side and both posts are accessible alternatively the positive junctions and sheet metal or engine metal if you want to avoid sparks.
I hear you, but still... if you work for AAA out on the road, shouldn't you at least be able to recognize a regular battery under a hood ?
Jeez. Lost the art of recognizing "tongue in cheek"? ;)

tongue in cheek
  1. in an ironic, flippant, or insincere way.
    "one suspects that he is writing with tongue in cheek"

It's actually quite rampant on this forum!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Jeez. Lost the art of recognizing "tongue in cheek"? ;)

tongue in cheek
  1. in an ironic, flippant, or insincere way.
    "one suspects that he is writing with tongue in cheek"

It's actually quite rampant on this forum!
Guilty as charged... I blame climate change for that ! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts