2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Just join.
I did already a few search for this subject and haven't found any update on this.

So, anyone knows if I can buy bushing online for the rear knuckle on a Jeep Cherokee 2016.

I am from Canada and of course, my dealership says that I can only buy the entire assembly from Chrysler.

Any suggestion.

Thanks a bunch.

· Registered
4,567 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Can you provide the part number for the entire rear knuckle assembly?
I can't figure which part is the bushing.
We have had a discussion about front steering knuckle ball joints and people were getting Moog ball joints.
I went to Mopar Online Parts and can't find what you are describing.
Refer to this Web site: Select Parts Category - 2014 Jeep Cherokee | Mopar Parts
Generally when Mopar sells an entire assembly it is because repairing it is not cost effective for the Jeep repair facility.
They also don't want to provide every "piece part" separately.
Sometimes we just have to spend the big bucks and do it the FCA way.
We have some Canadians on here that speak French if that helps.
Found this Web site: Polyurethane 240sx/Skyline Rear Knuckle bushings (pair)
Maybe you can find something that works.
Here is an adventurous link:
Apparently Moog makes bushings, maybe you can find one that fits.

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 2.4l - 400,000+ miles
31 Posts
Hey guys. My 2016 Jeep Cherokee 2.4l just went over 410,000 miles and I need to replace the bushings on the rear knuckles........right after I finish changing the front control arms and ball joints. I was hoping to find the part numbers and manufacturer for the bushings as my car is not worth new knuckle assemblies! I will check Moog and Dorman and see what I can find out.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have ran into the same issue with a right rear bushing on a 2015 Cherokee. I ordered the whole knuckle twice and have had the order cancelled on both of them. The excuse was the ”ordered part(s) have been discontinued (no longer available) and/or backordered with no ETA date by the manufacturer.“ I was wondering if any has made any headway on replacing the bushing only. I found a site on Alibaba that shows selling the bushing only for the Cherokee but I am leary of ordering them to try. Appreciate any help.

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 2.4l - 400,000+ miles
31 Posts
I have ran into the same issue with a right rear bushing on a 2015 Cherokee. I ordered the whole knuckle twice and have had the order cancelled on both of them. The excuse was the ”ordered part(s) have been discontinued (no longer available) and/or backordered with no ETA date by the manufacturer.“ I was wondering if any has made any headway on replacing the bushing only. I found a site on Alibaba that shows selling the bushing only for the Cherokee but I am leary of ordering them to try. Appreciate any help.
I just replace the control arm in the front and I wanted to replace the strut assembly too. But there are no right strut assemblies available and I have looked all over. Left yes. Right no. It must be the on a boat. So I will rebuild the existing struts.

Send me the alibaba number and I will order some bushings or at least see the dimensions and try moog. I need knuckles bad on the rear and I am willing to try and press them in myself or take them to a machine shop to press them in. Thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Just went through this and wanted to share how I did this.
I removed the top bushings with a ball joint remover and went to napa to find something close. What I found is 267-4492. It's the same type of bushing width and bolt size are the same but it's a hair bigger. I used a cylinder hone to get the hole a little bigger. About 0.01 and then was able to press in with some heat. Will post pictures of sizes. Picture of bushing installed down below
Watch Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gauge

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Crankset Bicycle part

Automotive tire Camera lens Wood Cameras & optics Camera accessory

Bottle Liquid Gas Plastic bottle Tool

Automotive tire Wall Font Gas Asphalt

· Registered
13,166 Posts
I removed the top bushings with a ball joint remover and went to napa to find something close. What I found is 267-4492. It's the same type of bushing width and bolt size are the same but it's a hair bigger. I used a cylinder hone to get the hole a little bigger. About 0.01 and then was able to press in with some heat. Will post pictures of sizes. Picture of bushing installed down below View attachment 217815
View attachment 217817
View attachment 217818
View attachment 217816
View attachment 217814
That's about 12 mils bigger for the new one. Nice work !

And welcome to JCC :)

· Registered
136 Posts
I removed the top bushings with a ball joint remover and went to napa to find something close. What I found is 267-4492. It's the same type of bushing width and bolt size are the same but it's a hair bigger. I used a cylinder hone to get the hole a little bigger. About 0.01 and then was able to press in with some heat. Will post pictures of sizes. Picture of bushing installed down below View attachment 217815
View attachment 217817
View attachment 217818
View attachment 217816
View attachment 217814
epic and thank you for your contribution.

· Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 217817
View attachment 217818
View attachment 217816
View attachment 217814
Outstanding Austin! Great job thank you for sharing the info. I just have a couple questions. What tools did you use to press the bushing in? Where did you apply the heat? & what kind of cylinder hone did you use? I'm going to try to do this in the next couple of weeks and ill tell everyone how it goes. A lot of us wont have a choice as some of these parts are being discontinued and are getting harder to find. Anyways thx again and take care.

· Registered
2 Posts
Outstanding Austin! Great job thank you for sharing the info. I just have a couple questions. What tools did you use to press the bushing in? Where did you apply the heat? & what kind of cylinder hone did you use? I'm going to try to do this in the next couple of weeks and ill tell everyone how it goes. A lot of us wont have a choice as some of these parts are being discontinued and are getting harder to find. Anyways thx again and take care.
I had purchased a habor feight ball joint press and used that. Had a scrap piece of pipe laying around about 1 3/4 od to use since the habor feight set didn't have a tube small enough. Roughly 2 inches long. Heat just the cast around the bushing just to make the press easier. It will push hard and get a caliper to help measure hole size. I did mine on a lift which make this a lot easier. The spring must be removed to get the tool in there and the shocks too. Both very easy. Cylinder hone I had lying around so not sure on where to get one but must be small enough for like a 1.5 inch hole.
Any other questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

· Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 217817
View attachment 217818
View attachment 217816
View attachment 217814
just ordered the MOOG version of that bushing. be here saturday and gonna try and do what you did...might not be saturday though. worst case I replace knuckles anyway.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
so I attempted this with my wifes trailhawk and the moog version of the napa bushing austindurand found. first side did not go well. I miscalculated the size of the hole and didn't make it big enough and broke the knuckle trying to press the bushing in. realizing what I did wrong way to late I still decided to try it on the other side. that side is not together and ready to run down the road. but now can not find a replacement knuckle for the drivers side. they are on backorder and used ones I have found were not the correct one...must be non trailhawks. so here are pictures of using the brake hone(water works best for a lube/flush). another picture measuring the bushing...I did end up switching from MM to inches. so used to using MM at work but that might be where my calculation went wrong. a press fit should have the hole being .0005-.0008 inch smaller. I did freeze the bushing and when I went to install it went half way in before warming enough to need to be pressed in.

so bottom line this can be done just have to make the hole the proper size.....then freezing the bushing it will go in pretty easy. I don't like heating the aluminum knuckle....if it were steel, or cast iron yes.....rather freeze the bushing.

Attachments

· Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
116 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Can you provide the part number for the entire rear knuckle assembly?
I can't figure which part is the bushing.
We have had a discussion about front steering knuckle ball joints and people were getting Moog ball joints.
I went to Mopar Online Parts and can't find what you are describing.
Refer to this Web site: Select Parts Category - 2014 Jeep Cherokee | Mopar Parts
Generally when Mopar sells an entire assembly it is because repairing it is not cost effective for the Jeep repair facility.
They also don't want to provide every "piece part" separately.
Sometimes we just have to spend the big bucks and do it the FCA way.
We have some Canadians on here that speak French if that helps.
Found this Web site: Polyurethane 240sx/Skyline Rear Knuckle bushings (pair)
Maybe you can find something that works.
Here is an adventurous link:
Apparently Moog makes bushings, maybe you can find one that fits.
I found a part number if you want it. I know this thread is a year old but I have the number

1 - 20 of 56 Posts